Wilkinson pickups? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Wilkinson pickups?

Hey Fellow Tele pickers.
Can any one tell me any thing on Wilkinson Pickups and bridges as how do the pickups compare to stock fenders?
Thanks

Telething

Telething is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I bought a pair last year for a future build, and I began assembling a Tele using these pickups last week. I bought them because I like their bridge and their tuners. So that Tele will have all these Wilkinson parts.

I can't tell you about the sound but it should come soon...

All I can tell you is that used many of their bridges with great success.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Gtech.
I am thinking on trying both bridge and pickups.
I have stock and Duncan 52s but got a Tele to fit to the Wilkinsons.
Thanks again

Telething
Telething is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm also planning either a strat or tele build utilising these Wilkinson brand pups. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Reviews I read were moderately positive.

Chris.
play_loud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

In a thread about Logan Custom Guitars I read that they use Wilkinson's in their telecaster model.

That is all I know... oh and that I like Wilkinson's telecaster bridge. The one that sells for around $30. Have two of them.
allthumz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
In a thread about Logan Custom Guitars I read that they use Wilkinson's in their telecaster model.
allthumz

The statement allthumz made is true, as far as it goes, but might possibly give the wrong impression, so I thought I'd chime in here.

Before I do, let me hasten to say that Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars (http://logancustoms.com) is a member of this forum, and he can speak for himself. However, he may not have seen this thread yet. I hadn't seen it either until just now, as I was searching for info about Seymour Duncan pups, since I am considering them for the next build Bob does for me.

Which brings me to my point. While Bob does use Wilkinson pups in his builds, for an additional charge he will put in just about any pup you want. He offers the options of either selecting a predefined bridge/neck set or selecting your preferred bridge/neck combination. And you can select from Kent Armstrong, Lace Sensors or Seymour Duncans, as well as Wilkinsons. And Bob offers other pickups on request, per availability.

So you can select the Wilkinson Alnico 5 Single Coil Vintage set for no additional cost. Or you can choose the vintage single coil bridge pup and pair that with either a Wilkinson humbucker or a Wilkinson P-90 in the neck position for a modest additional charge ($25 and $35, respectively). Or you can select a set of Seymour Duncans or mix and match your own from the selection Bob offers.

FWIW, I own a Logan Custom Mahogany Tele with a Wilkinson bridge and the Wilkinson Alnico 5 Single Coil vintage single coil pup for the bridge position. In the neck I chose the Wilkinson P-90. Here is a pic from my gallery of what Iím talking about.

Iím very happy with the Wilkinson pups.

The bridge pup gives great twang. If Iím going for a Country sound (e.g., Luther Perkins), I play through the bridge pup clean. Great twang and ice-pick-in-the-ear trebles (which is not my main playing preference, but I enjoy having the option for a song or two in my repertoire). Playing through it in OD is also quite bright, and hot, with plenty of bite.

The Wilkinson P-90 in the neck has a really nice tone with the mahogany body, rounder, warmer, which is what I was going for when I made these choices. The P-90 gives me a pleasing range of different tones and textures. Played clean, itís really sweet and warm. Playing through it in OD can really sound gritty and thick.

Most of the time, I play in the middle position. I love the combination of these two pickups, works very well for Texas blues and classic rock, a large portion of my repertoire.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wilkinson pickups come in two flavours, the Pro Range and Platinum, the Pro range are best and rumoured to be made by Gotah, whereas the Platinum are made under licence in China (I believe). I've found the Pro range to be good value. Vintage Guitars use them a lot. Check out their site;

http://www.whamster.com/index.php
Armo is offline   Reply With Quote