Who's using '51 Nocaster Pickups? - Page 3 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Thank you Boris.

Would the Am Se neck pu be a good match with either the OV bridge or the Nocater bridge pus? Not just in terms of level but do they give a nice mid position?
I have not tried any of those mixes. I promise, if Fender sold the No-Caster or Original Vintage bridge pickups alone for a fair price, there'd be a dozen recommnendations for either combination - but they do not break sets up.

boris bubbanov is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I put a set of CS nocasters in this parts caster and they were well worth the $120.00 bux I paid for them. Great usable sounds in all three switch positions.
They sound a bit different to my '60s Tele - not better or worse just different. Love em both.

Old December 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Not much to add here other than my feeling that my Nocaster is just pure sonic bliss EVERY time I touch it. Does anybody know if Abigail winds them or does she only do the big $ guitar p/u's??
pedalcr8z is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

IMO, you can't beat the sound of a set of NoCasters. I had a set installed in my MIA Am
Se Nat. Ash Tele. I had all but given up on this guitar, but I played a CS NoCaster guitar in a shop and just loved the tone. Found a set of p-ups on 'Bay and had them installed. Now she's my #1 Player! A set of p-ups CAN make a huge difference!

If you really like your guitar otherwise, changing out the p-ups can/will make a big difference; and the good thing is, it's reversable! If you don't like them, change them again!

Good Luck!!
91xlntS-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I put the '51 Nocaster bridge in my '69 Tele Thinline reissue and it is big and twangy, exactly the sound that I was looking for. I don't feel that it is too bright, it growls just right.

I put a '68 Custom Shop in the neck and it is a very well rounded evenly toned pup and a great compliment to the Nocaster.

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I ordered Nocasters from "justpickups.com" about 2 weeks ago for $100.00. I got an email saying I'd have them in 5 days. It seems like a good deal but I haven't received them yet, I can't get them to reply to me by email or phone either. I'm wishing I would've just paid more and gotten them locally now because my project is on hold and I can't get any info from the sellers.
kdmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have a neck installed in my MIM Standard. Really like the clarity and improved dynamics over the revoiced neck. The bridge p/u was bad from the start and am waiting on a replacement. Seems the CS is back ordered and I'll be waiting a few weeks for the replacement.
Brett Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro1176 View Post

My Baja has Broadcaster in the bridge position - if anyone has tried the nocaster PU and broadcaster - how do they differ and are they pretty similar?

Thanks
I can't answer your question about how they differ - I just can't think of a wordy way to do that.

But you have my solemn word, they do sound different. Broadcaster is hotter, if you will to match up properly with the Twisted Tele neck pickup. Yet, very strange the way the "parallel-out of phase" (Position Two, s-1 down) seems more forceful that the "series-out of phase".

Here's the best I can do. The No-caster is more of a vintage sound - but the Baja is not so much "rock and roll" as it is forceful, acoustic sound. The kind of guitar that still sounds great on a Bassman when others sound muffled. For what it is worth on a No-Castered guitar I am on the bridge pup in one way or another, all the time, but on the Baja I am seldom in position 1 (bridge only).

Aw, heck! Trying to say, I would never use a Broadcaster as an Esquire pickup. But, it has some special characteristic where, when combined with the Twisted Tele, it creates lots of cool sounds you will not find when a No-caster was stuck in its place.

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Thank you Boris.

Would the Am Se neck pu be a good match with either the OV bridge or the Nocater bridge pus? Not just in terms of level but do they give a nice mid position?
I am intending to do that; to mate an Am Se neck pickup with a left handed OV bridge pickup/bridge combo. I am optimistic this, or a No-Caster bridge pup, will work great. I'll let you know what happens.

Old January 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, this thread is up again? I'm the OP. I just got the CV Tele I mentioned in the first post. I was considering dropping a pair of Nocasters in, but the stock CV pickups are actually pretty nice. Nocaster nice? Well, maybe not, but certainly good enough for now. I played a CS '51 Nocaster Relic in a local shop & everything about felt & sounded great. I played it through a Blues Jr (cause thats what I own) even though there were some really cool vintage amps. I was in love with the tone, although I'm sure it had a lot to do with the actual guitar as well.

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, report back if you try it please Boris.

And thanks for the report about Twisted + Broadcaster, sounds very interesting. I don't have any of those pups but from your description it is a sound I'd love.
I could make nice sonograms out of the pickups alone, in parallel and par/out of phase to see what's happening exactly (if you could make a sample of each, same chord in each position, same force, etc.)
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a set of pickups taken out of a Custom Shop Nocaster Relic. The pickups are aged, unlike the after-market ones you can buy at retail. I notice the DCR readings of the neck and the bridge are 7.06k. Well below the high-7 readings spec'd in the after-market retail version.

Are the aged ones in the Custom Shop Nocaster Relics different pickups than the aftermarket CS '51 Nocaster pups? And does anyone know if the magnet is also degaussed on the OEM Aged version?
NeverStock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well NeverStock, Im not exactly sure.

I will offer this though

Consider that all wire has tolerances, changes in overall diameter, bare wire diameter etc...

So they probably wind by number of turns - sometimes that will get you more or less than what you want.

OR

They are trying to hit a certain inductance rather than just DCR. with wire size differences, inductance to DCR ratio changes.

Its over ambitious for them to think they can get the same DCR and Henries every single time, if you ask me. JUst because of wire size tolerances.

I wound a Tele neck pickup to 7.6k ohms recently, and it had 2.45 Henries. It was very bright and clear.

I looked at another pickup I wound, with the same size magnets, same alnico type, same bobbin dimensions, and the same spool of wire, and it was 7.3k ohms, and 2.6 henries. It was a good bit darker sounding...

Id probably have to unwind that one to 7k or less to get the similar brightness of the first pickup I mentioned...

If they sound awesome, play em! Specs arent as important as your ears being happy...
achase4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #54 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

$99 bucks? Almost seems to good to be true - anyone else buy from them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1rcefn View Post
My friends at "Just Pickups" have them NEW for $98.99. I have used them several times, and they have outstanding service, etc. Great people - you should get to know them!
click on this link:
http://www.justpickups.com/Merchant2...e=099-2109-000
homerayvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #55 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

yep. that is where I got two sets.

Old March 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #56 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverStock View Post
I have a set of pickups taken out of a Custom Shop Nocaster Relic. The pickups are aged, unlike the after-market ones you can buy at retail. I notice the DCR readings of the neck and the bridge are 7.06k. Well below the high-7 readings spec'd in the after-market retail version.

Are the aged ones in the Custom Shop Nocaster Relics different pickups than the aftermarket CS '51 Nocaster pups? And does anyone know if the magnet is also degaussed on the OEM Aged version?
The answer is yes and the difference in sound is audible between a relic and NOS Nocaster.

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #57 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Let me ask this, I find the stock CV pups to be a bit thin. Will CS '51s add a little bottom end? I'm basically looking for a "fatter" tone. I know that there are a billion other pickups out there, but I'm asking specifically about these...

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #58 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Do the '51 Nocaster pickups measure up to similar boutique offerings from Lollar, Stuart, Hamel, etc.? Why/how?
markesquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #59 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

LOVE 'EM !!

'06 "Deluxe Nocaster"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	46
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	22048  
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatty View Post
God forgive me, but Im not a fan of the 1950s Telecasters. The Youtube link above explains it all. The Flat pole piece bridge pup has a very different sound than the
1960s Teles. The CS 'Vintage Noiseless' and CS 'Texas Specials' pups, have that Burton, Rich, Cropper and Bob Wootton sound that drives me.

The sounds of these Teles from both decades are two different bottles of Bourbon. Obviously the Teles of the Early 1950s wasn't based on Rock-N Roll as Rock-N Roll had not really broke out on the National sceen till 1955-56. Early 50s was still Pat Boone Pop and Jazz and old primative Country..certainly not the Honky Tonk type that would emerge later in the decade. These early 50s Teles sound like they were made just for that..Bluesy Jazz style music.
Hmmm. I don't agree with this at all. Firstly Burton's Telecaster he used on all those great 60s recordings was a '53. Secondly, early on Don Rich used a 50s Telecaster as well and I've seen clips of him playing that in into the mid 60s.