Fender Wide Range Humbuckers - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 27th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Fender Wide Range Humbuckers

Does anyone know if the the covers on the new Fender '72 Thinline re-issue pickups are the same size as the originals?

What I'm most interested in is the hole spacing for the magnet slugs. Is the spacing the same as the originals?

I have found a source for CuNiFe magnets and need to have a few bobbins machined. I can extrapolate the bobbin size from the hole pattern on the original pickup cover, but sadly have no pickup to measure.

If anyone wants in on this project, contact me. I'll be having some parts made and of course, the more parts I buy, the less each one will cost.

Also, I'm looking for any leads of info on the magnet material that sits on the baseplate of the pickup. The "mystery magnet" material. Thanks.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't have an original but I can tell you that the pole screws do not line up with the holes in the covers on the MIM RI. Looks the the originals were much closer but still off.

littlericky is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If I could just get the measurements of the pole spacing I can figure out the rest. I have tried to buy an original but can't seem to find one anywhere. It's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the photos!

www.telenator.com

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

There's a buch of '70s thinline, customs, and deluxes on ebay. I assume most of them are authentic. You could do the "ask seller a question" thing. But like you said it's just a matter of time, I know there are tons of members on this forum that can help you out, and I'm sure they will.
braderrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'd be interested in hearing more about this project.
quartermiler45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

ooo. me too!
lammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I have a source for the CuNiFe magnets and since the MIM pickup covers are most readily available, I'll probably base the pickups on that hole pattern even though it's not exactly like the the original. The few thousanths of an inch difference in pole spacing shouldn't be a big deal.

The one mystery remaining though, is the magnet material under the coils. I need to see an original pickup disassembled in order to to sort this bit out.

Anyone with a WRHB that has photos of the innards would be very welcome to join in here. I have the parts for my 72 Thinline. Now I just need the p'ups!

www.telenator.com

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm confused. Originals use threaded cunife magnets as the poles, there is no magnet underneath. RI pickups use "steel" screws for the poles, there not magnets, therefore there are alnico(MIM) or ceramic(MIJ) bar magnets under the coils. You need one or the other, not both.

The simplest thing would be to have cunife screws made,threaded to replace the steel screws in RI pickups, just remember to make them the correct length as per the originals. You'll sell a truckload of them. It would be easy enough for modders to remove the bar magnets,use shims in thier place, and install the new cunife screws.
littlericky is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

GFS do something like these 'Vintage Split Pole' about 8K, which sound authentic. I could not find genuine Fender WR either. This one is cheap enough that you could use it for parts. With it fitted it would be difficult to make measurements accurate enough for engineering work. The strings do pass directly over the poles on the 07 AmSer. The unit went straight into a stock pickguard, note single dog-ears. I've only made pickups from odd bits like re-winding big solenoids onto a bar magnet, so good luck with your project.

Last edited by jefrs; June 9th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
jefrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlericky View Post
I'm confused. Originals use threaded cunife magnets as the poles, there is no magnet underneath. RI pickups use "steel" screws for the poles, there not magnets, therefore there are alnico(MIM) or ceramic(MIJ) bar magnets under the coils. You need one or the other, not both.

The simplest thing would be to have cunife screws made,threaded to replace the steel screws in RI pickups, just remember to make them the correct length as per the originals. You'll sell a truckload of them. It would be easy enough for modders to remove the bar magnets,use shims in thier place, and install the new cunife screws.
From what I've been told, there is a piece, or small sheet of magnetic material that the bobbins rest on. I have not been able to get my hands on an original WRH to take it apart and see this for myself.

If it truly is a simple matter of replacing the threaded magnets, then I'm golden!

Anyone care to take a guess at the gaussing spec? And polarity of the originals?

I have the winding specs but don't know if the Re-issues match that spec. I'll have to pull one apart and see.

www.telenator.com

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The p.u.'s i have from the 2005 mim '72 thinline reissue have an outside polepiece spacing center to center of 2.100"
TELE_BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
GFS do something like these 'Vintage Split Pole' about 8K, which sound authentic. I could not find genuine Fender WR either.
I'm interested in WRs as well, so I have to ask this question. What does "sound authentic" really mean in this case? Did you A/B it with a real WR ('real' as in NOT a reissue one)? Or does it mean, "it sounds like how i remember old WRs sound like."?
WrapAround is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Is this the same Humbucker as in the 72 Custom, if so i have an original and a modern Japanese copy. I have digital calipers...if you need measurements let me know.
Regards
Vikki(uk)
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a rewound WRHB i don't remember if it's a mij or mim.I had OWEN (OWEN DUFFY, O.C. DUFF) rewind it for me,he suggested alnico II and i'm real happy with it.
TELE_BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If it turns out to be as simple as threading the CuNiFe rods then you might consider selling just the threaded pole pieces to those who already have the RI pickups??!!

Old March 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If this project is successful you will be the most popular man around, I might name my first born after you. Please keep us up to date on this project.

Last edited by quartermiler45; March 29th, 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add more info
quartermiler45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Is this the same Humbucker as in the 72 Custom, if so i have an original and a modern Japanese copy. I have digital calipers...if you need measurements let me know.
Regards
Vikki(uk)
Thanks vikki. Yes, the '72 Custom pickups are the same as the '72 Thinline.

What I really need is to see how the pickup is put together. How the bobbins sit on the tray and if there is any material between the bobbins and the tray.

I am going to base my dimensions on the MIM pickup covers since they're most readily available.

www.telenator.com

Old March 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELE_BLUES View Post
The p.u.'s i have from the 2005 mim '72 thinline reissue have an outside polepiece spacing center to center of 2.100"
With the same spacing for the bridge and neck? Or are they wider on the bridge?

I wonder if either the CIJs or the originals are spaced differently on the bridge compared to the neck?
yegbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You found a source for CuNIFe?!?!?!

Outstanding. I want in! My MIM Tele Deluxe needs some CuNIFe M@J@!!!

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress.

I just need to see one of the originals in pieces and I'll move forward with this.

www.telenator.com