EMG-RT vs. 52AVRI vs. Don Mare shootout. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Just Pickups
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Just Pickups Forum for discussing guitar pickups.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

EMG-RT vs. 52AVRI vs. Don Mare shootout.

Well, this weekend I learned alot. I still suck at guitar but at least I have an ear.

My Esquire Build originally had an EMG-RT with SPC controller. This sounded very clear, twangy and truly was noiseless. I highly recommend this setup to anyone that plays well and is looking for really clear tele tone. The SPC control (I had 3 knobs; vol, tone,spc) gives a fatter, humbuckery sound that I preferred to the EMG-RT without it, I guess at my level of playing a little "mud" can cover alot of errors.

The 52AVRI pickup was what I expected, very tele sounding, clear and flexible with your standard 60hz hum. It responded will to the tone control and made me think more "country/gosplel" than "blues/rock". but definitely better sounding (to me) than an MIM standard or MIA standard, although the super fat neck probably changes the tone too.

The "Don Mare Zep-O-Tone Graf Airship One" (whew) sounds EXACTLY like it should. I ripped out some Yardbirds and Zep on it and It was on the money where with my other guitars I have to play with pedals to get in that ballpark.
It's bright, airy and raunchy all at the same time. It's also much louder than I expected from a 5.?k PU.

Though these PUs all do what they are supposed to do quite well (especially the EMG and DM) I will be singing the praises of Don's mythical pickups for a long time. It's a joy to hear this guitar just ring with the right amount of agression and still sound like an Esquire should.

I wired it with Acme CTS 250k pots, CRL 1452 switch (vintage tip) and Luxe 1950-51 reissue/replica caps and resistor (I know...money grows on trees ) using the vintage correct circuit supplied by Luxe (same as the one here on TDPRI).
Topped with Hightech Tools knobs (same as Glendale's) everything just sounds and looks right.

newtwanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome! I think i'm gonna put a DM Yardboy1 in my esquire. Ive got a 52RI tele and I like the PUP's well enough but I am considering swapping out the bridge for a fralin or maybe another DM something a little warmer sounding and more definition.
surfoverb is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfoverb
Awesome! I think i'm gonna put a DM Yardboy1 in my esquire.
Well when you call him to order it he will most certainly ask you what sound you are looking for, then play a few of his pickups for you over the phone.

That really helped me to hear the difference between the Yardboy, GA1 and GA2.

You won't be disappointed!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Haven't you recorded something by any chance witht the EMG RT-SPC combo?
I have the same mod on my mind, and it would most cetainly help to make up my mind.
lupowitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwanger View Post
Holy wax batman!

What made you choose the zepo over the yardboy?
surfoverb is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfoverb
What made you choose the zepo over the yardboy?
There was a subtle but noticeable difference in the character of the high note sustain. Don played the same thing with the different pus and I clearly heard some "dazed and confused" notes that were music to my ears.

Now if he sent me a Yardboy instead of a GA1, would I be able to say "hey this is the wrong one!" without A/B testing. No Sir, I would suspect not.

Similar but not the same. Now Don would say they're WAY different and have examples proving exactly where they differ, but in my "taste test" I only noted that the highs were more what I was looking for. It's impossible to decide until he's played them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupowitz
Haven't you recorded something by any chance witht the EMG RT-SPC combo?
Unfortunately no. can't say I know how to do that aside from running through my Line 6 Toneport that totally doesn't sound like it does through my amp (Blues Jr Woody).

If it means anything to anyone, I play the Blues Jr. with volume almost at full and control the actual volume with the master knob, no reverb (cuz it adds too much hummmm), no pedals (though I have a Digitech RP250 I you with another guitar). So if you have that amp you know how crunchy I like it.