Hohner Owners - Page 5 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom guitars and special models from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #81 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanute View Post
Hi all. I just picked up a sweet Hohner HG 310 Rosewood Limited Edition. It's one of the nicest guitars I've EVER played.. definately my new favorite. I've been sniffing around on the net and I've drawn a blank on a couple of things.

Firstly, can anyone tell me whether or not these guitars have solid rosewood sides and backs? I'm no luthier or wood expert so I really can't tell. It's not nearly as hefty as various laminates I've compared it to. Weight is more comparable to a Martin D-18. ( Mahogany vs Rosewood?? )
I've also tried comparing the inside grain to the outside grain to determine if it's the same... looks very close to me, but again.. no expert. So.. just wondering if anyone has the inside track and knows for sure.

Secondly, a mystery, and I hope this doesn't sound really stupid, but the guitar has the label and serial number right where it's supposed to be. ( 793-something ) So I look inside and on the neckblock there's another number stenciled there. ( 601 - no memory or pen )

I know without seeing it, it's impossible to say, but based on the fact that there's 2 numbers in 2 spots, one being the neckblock, does anyone think the neck might have been replaced? Or is this second number common? Not that it matters, because if it was replaced there's absolutely no sign of it other than the extra number and it plays like a dream. Here's a pic as well.

Welcome, and congrats!

And yeah, it can be so frustrating trying to find information on these Japanese vintage Hohners. I've looked for catalogs, but so far nothing with free images available. Here's what I have found so far.

The HG310 LE was endorsed by Hank Williams, Jr. in the late 70s. Back then you could hardly open an issue of Guitar Player magazine without seeing Bocephus holding a HG310, just grinning away.

The ad was more hype than specs, of course. It referred to the top of the guitar as "close grained white spruce" and the sides & back as "book-matched Rosewood." The ad copy never actually said whether either was solid wood. I'm guessing that the top was solid, but I don't know about the B&S.

As for what's on your neck block, I can't say. I don't know common or uncommon it is. all I do know is that the neck block on mine has no such second number.

Here's that ad of Hank, Jr. with his Hohner HG310.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #82 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

On the continuing pursuit of info on the HG-310 LE, I've found examples of a guy selling his, saying as far as he knew it was a solid wood guitar. He offered no documentation or verification of that claim, though. Another comment I found was of a guy that his first guitar in 1977 was an HG-310, but he sold it. Then a couple of years back he came across another one in a pawn shop in Pueblo, CO. He claims that it's "solid rosewood, solid spruce, handmade by expert Japanese craftsman." Again, though, no documentation or verification of that claim.

Looking back through our thread here, I am reminded of other posts pertaining to the HG-310 LE. If you haven't done so already, go to the first page of this thread and check out post #s 23-25, then post # 61 on page 2. David's (bridgepinSr's) input seems to offer the most authoritative, verifiable information out there. And there's some nice "eye candy" (i.e., pics) too.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #83 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Larry, thanks for the insight. I've been up and down this thread a few times, truth be told. A few years back, there was an HG310 for sale locally. Before I went to try it out, I did a little online research and ended up here. Alas, by the time I made it out to farm country to pick it up, the gentleman had sold it to a neighbour...my fault for dragging my a$$.

Anyway, I was intrigued by what I read here as well as a few other ( lesser ) forums and got it in my head that I "needed" one of these. Finally knuckled onto one the other week and after a few minutes with it in my hands, I was all in. Might have paid a little much for it at $400, but again, after playing it for a while, I wouldn't sell it for 3 times that.

Really pleased with it..not gonna think about the extra number on the neck block nor am I going to worry about construction materials.. just going to enjoy my new friend!

Keep your stick on the ice! Tim
Kanute is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #84 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well, from that pic you posted, she looks like she's in great shape, a real beauty. And I'm sure she plays like a dream, too. Congrats and enjoy.

Bob Bennett

Old August 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #85 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I've been putting off giving an update on my DR550, because there's a problem.

September, 2011, I bought from an online store a Hohner DR550. I wanted a DR550CE, the cutaway version with the Fishman electronics, but I couldn't find one. The DR5500 is the (strictly) acoustic version.

When I gave my review of it, I praised it for the great features it has: solid cedar top; solid rosewood back & sides; 1 piece mahogany neck; striped ebony fretboard and bridge; body and neck are bound in maple, and the top has some nice purfling; gold Grover 18:1 high ratio tuners.

She projects well, has beautiful tones, sustains for days. The action came set a little high, but I left it that way because I wanted to use her for slide work. Because of the slight discomfort due to the action, I didn't notice at first another problem: the nut isn't seated properly. It protrudes just ever so slightly on the treble side of the neck, and as a result has a slightly cramped feel when playing. As a result, I've put her away and haven't even gotten her out of her case in months.

In all other respects but action and this nut situation, she's a beauty and a great playing and sounding guitar. I'm thinking that soon I'll try and re-seat the nut, and maybe adjust the action (I'm not playing as much slide as I thought I would). I'll post progress reports here.

Bob Bennett

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #86 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well, during my search for a good deal on a Guild D-55, I have somehow stumbled upon this thread of Hohner guitars. Now you guys have me hunting high and low for these mythical HG-940 and 950 models. I wish I would have kniown abot these earlier in my life, when you could probably actually find one. Unfortynately. most of the stringed instruments that I ever encountered with the Hohner logo were a step above firewood but I can see that there was a short window of quality stuff that I did not get the chance to experience. I noticed there is a jumbo bodied HG710, much like the HG720 listed earlier in this section over on the used section of Guitar Center if anyone is interested. It looks to be the same as the HG720 other than the inlays are dot instead of block.

I would ask that you guys keep me informed on any HG940 or HG950 models for sale but it looks like everyone is on the hunt with me as well. Anyway, enjoying reading the posts and looking at the pictures.
Orvillian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #87 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to TDPRI and to this thread. I don't know if anyone else here besides me is looking for an HG940 or HG950, but I can tell you that I am. I hope we both find what we're looking for.

If money were no object I would probably collect Arbor series Hohners, much like David (bridgepinSr) has. My financial situation being what it is, I'm just after another Arbor series Hohner that I can put a pickup system in and take to gigs. For sentimental reasons, my G940 that has been with me for 29 years as a rule doesn't leave the house, don't want to risk it. But I'd love to have that playability and tone available to me when I gig, so I'd like to get another. Acquiring another HG940 would be great, if possible I'd like to find an HG950.

So, San Antonio, eh? Nice to have another Texan on board. My youngest child and her family live up there. My son-in-law is an executive in Whataburger headquarters. He's also a player. His acoustics are a beat up Takamine and a newly acquired Taylor, his electrics are an Epiphone Black Beauty LP and a Logan Custom "Logo" Thinline.

Bob Bennett

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #88 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the welcome Mr.G. I am still a hack of a player but unfortunately, I know a good acoustic when I hear one. The two acoustics that I have picked up that blew my socks off were the Guild D-55 and a Taylor 855CE both of which are just ridiculous expensive. My dad has a Martin D-35 that is quite the porch cannon as well that I borrow from time to time for recording sessions when it is needed. Right now my only acoustic is a Washburn D33S that isn't bad considering what it is. I am intrigued with the Japanese acoustics as I have a 89 Les Paul custom that is absolutely killer. It is an Orville by Gibson that has all the things going for it that Gibson gave up on years ago, like nitro finish, long neck tenon, etc. So I figure the same era acoustics will probably have the same attention to detail and quality.

What really gets me with the Hohner 940 and 950 is the all solid woods and the fact that even the inlays are wood. That blows me away. Anyway, half the fun in this is the hunt...and I am on it. If I stumble across anything that I don't pounce on in the 940 or 950 department, I'll send it your way.

I remember Whataburger leaving CC... that was quite a big deal as I recall. I drive by the headquarters building on 281 twice a day on the way to and from work.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM   #89 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Just call me Larry. "G" is my middle initial. I chose Larry G as my signature because there were already several Larrys on TDPRI when I joined, including a "Larry F."

My son's first acoustic was a Washburn dreadnaught, so I hear what you're saying about that D33S. A good guitar for the money.

And you're right about the 940 & 950. The maple wood bindings, the purfling, maple inlays on headstock, neck and bridge, all solid woods, bone nut and saddle, ebony bridge pins. Just sooo nice! The only plastic on the guitar is the pickguard.

I bought my G-940 in the spring of 1983, with a hardshell case, for $600. I've looked it up on an inflation calculator, and $600 in '83 compares to $1,380 in today's dollars, or what you could get a Martin D-16 for these days.

Anyway, thanks for looking out for me. And I will likewise give you a heads up on any old Hohner I don't pull the trigger on.

And about Whataburger, yeah, that was a big deal, down here in Corpus, anyway. It took our kids and grandkids away. But we understood. And S.A. is close; we're count ourselves fortunate that all of our kids and grandkids don't live that far away (my son and his family are here in town, my eldest and her family are in Sugar Land).

Bob Bennett

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #90 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Just found this. It's a Hohner DR550CE acoustic/electric. (I have the acoustic, non-cutaway version of this guitar.) Solid cedar top, solid rosewood back sides, ebony fretboard and bridge. This guy's playing's not bad, certainly capable enough to give a sense of the tone of the guitar.

Bob Bennett

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #91 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I see these on line from time to time. I am holding out for the 940, or a the mythical 950... I will have to check the video, I can't get to it on this computer. During my daily searches, I see these 700 series models that look fairly interesting. Still gonna hold out though.

I also noticed an HG340 on the 'Bay, though I am not sure where thgat one fits in the entire scheme of things. It looks like an alright one from the two pics on there.

Last edited by Orvillian; August 28th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Old August 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #92 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

There is a HG910 in Houston for $450 if anybody is interested. Not my listing but it is on Craigslist. I've stumbled across two HG310's today as well that have me mumbling to myself. One is an LE and one is not.

Last edited by Orvillian; August 30th, 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Old August 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #93 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting this. I'm always tempted when things like this come along. But since I can't afford to collect the various models in the Arbor series, I have to keep my focus on my goal, acquiring another HG-940 or an HG-950. Hope someone else gets a good deal on this, though.

Bob Bennett

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM   #94 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
Hope someone else gets a good deal on this, though.
I am trying to keep that from being me.... There is a youtube video of a guy playing an HG310 that sounds just stellar, much like my dad's Martin D-35. I am wondering when and if I stumble across one of the elusive 940 or 950 models, if I will even be able to afford it without getting a second mortagage on the house.

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #95 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Is this the YT vid you're talking about?

It looks like this guy is sitting on the hopper while playing. But neither his playing nor the guitar's tone sounds crappy, so there's that. Seriously, if that's the vid you referred to, I agree, the guitar sounds great.

BTW, in addition to previous comments in this thread (see above) about the HG-310, I found a source that claims the model was made between 1978-1985, which of course is the same time frame in which the Arbor series guitars were built.

The source is an online document (in PDF format) entitled "Hohner - Historical Guitar Models."

http://www.hohner.eu/ablage/med_0000...icalModels.pdf

There source is sketchy at times in the information given, and sometimes the information is even in conflict with information from other sources. But resources are few and far between with older model Hohners, so I'm posting the link here for others to access if they don't already have it.

And another source is the online Guitar Museum. Here's a couple of links to HG-310 LEs in that online resource. You can also search "Hohner" and find lots more.

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...imited-Edition
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...imited-Edition

Bob Bennett

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:58 PM   #96 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvillian View Post
... I am wondering when and if I stumble across one of the elusive 940 or 950 models, if I will even be able to afford it without getting a second mortagage on the house.
I don't think they are selling for extravagant prices these days. On more than one of my online searches for Hohners, "experts" asked about the going rates for 30+ year old Hohners said the $400-$500 range.

There are several reasons for this, but basically I believe it is because Hohner is not a household brand name, nor even that well known among most guitarists today. They're probably better known for harmonicas and accordions than guitars. There seems to have been only a few times in company history that they committed to producing higher end, quality guitars. For most of their years, the guitars they produced have been entry level/student guitars. So the name doesn't draw in high dollar amounts for sellers these days. At least, that's my take on it.

Our own bridgepinSr (David) has made purchases of various models in the Arbor series, and I think he has catalogs and/or price lists. Hopefully he can shed some light on this. Whether confirmation or correction, I don't care. I'd just like to get the facts out there.

Bob Bennett

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM   #97 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

1978 HG 320

Wow! A Hohner Owners Club. I purchased a 1978 HG320 in 1997 for $219 included a new hard shell case! Definitely the best guitar purchase I'll ever make. This guitar plays like butter. I would never sell it. A couple days after purchasing it I called Hohner and spoke with a rep who actually was able to locate the specs on the '78 HG320 and advised me it was in fact constructed of all solid woods and a rosewood fretboard. Like an idiot I never asked him to email me a copy. Unfortunately since Hohner isn't one of the big 3 (Martin, Gibson, Taylor) there appears to be a limited market for vintage Hohners and no one has ever offered me anything near what it's worth as a "player". I've had numerous owners of the above mentioned guitars play my HG320 only to hand it back to me shaking their heads in disbelief that such an incredible guitar could be had for a measly $219 (remove the value of the new case it came with and I actually only paid about $149!) I would easily put my HG320 to a blindfold test against guitars costing at least 10x what I paid for this guitar and am confident it would win more times than not. As to the production date, mine appears to have been produced in January 1978. I know this because unlike every one I've seen online, The inside label on mine is stamped "01/78". Once I figure out how to post images I'll gladly do so.

Last edited by Woodstock64; September 3rd, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Grammar errors
Woodstock64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM   #98 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to this club thread! Sounds like your experience is similar to mine and others here. I've told the story before, but I too bought my Hohner G-940 decades ago, 3 decades next spring. And yes, it plays like butter, too, and like you, I'll never sell it.

And I agree, because Hohner doesn't have the name recognition of the "Big Boys," resell prices aren't much for these great old guitars. But since I'll never sell mine, that's fine. In fact, I'm counting on that fact to remain true so that I can find models from the old Arbor series for sale cheap. They seem to be few and far between, though. Hohner owners tend to hang on to them!

Bob Bennett

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #99 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock64 View Post
Wow! A Hohner Owners Club. I purchased a 1978 HG320 in 1997 for $219 included a new hard shell case! Definitely the best guitar purchase I'll ever make. This guitar plays like butter. I would never sell it. A couple days after purchasing it I called Hohner and spoke with a rep who actually was able to locate the specs on the '78 HG320 and advised me it was in fact constructed of all solid woods and a rosewood fretboard. Like an idiot I never asked him to email me a copy. Unfortunately since Hohner isn't one of the big 3 (Martin, Gibson, Taylor) there appears to be a limited market for vintage Hohners and no one has ever offered me anything near what it's worth as a "player". I've had numerous owners of the above mentioned guitars play my HG320 only to hand it back to me shaking their heads in disbelief that such an incredible guitar could be had for a measly $219 (remove the value of the new case it came with and I actually only paid about $149!) I would easily put my HG320 to a blindfold test against guitars costing at least 10x what I paid for this guitar and am confident it would win more times than not. As to the production date, mine appears to have been produced in January 1978. I know this because unlike every one I've seen online, The inside label on mine is stamped "01/78". Once I figure out how to post images I'll gladly do so.
Well, it looks like the HG310's are going for around the $400-$500 mark these days. The 320 has a three piece back like a D-35 correct? I am keeping my eyes open for a deal on one of these little known gems and it sure is nice to find a place that can shead some light on these and the construction.

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #100 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
Is this the YT vid you're talking about?
Yep Larry, that is the video I was speaking of. Thanks for the links, I had found those sites and info. in my searches as well. Now if I could just find one of these elusive guitars when my bank account is not empty at the same time, all will be well.