Jay Turser Guitar Club - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom guitars and special models from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Jay Turser Guitar Club

These guitars just might be the most underrated guitars on the market.I just got my 3rd one and it's a fantastic player.The only fault I've found is the Bigsby type trem on the JT140.Very poor replica.The pups have been swaped out on the JT140 to GFS.The other 2 are stock and sound very nice.Here's some pics of these jewels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jay Turser Guitars 001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	45957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jay Turser Guitars 005.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	45958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jay Turser Guitars 009.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	45959  

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out,and loudly proclaiming:"WOW,what a ride!"
Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'd like to ckeck out one of the rosewood Teles they produce for when I want to cop that rooftop vibe. Dave
mechanicdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'll Join ya. I saw some great Turser guitars at this guy's house, when I was doing a CL trade. He had them set up really nice.

I have a B-Stock Turser Tele, gold hardware, binding on the front and back of the body, and a humbucker in the neck position. Near as I can tell, it's B Stock because the neck is angled slightly. The high E string get's real close to the edge of the fretboard down around the 12th fret. This would be an easy fix, with some shimming, I reckon, but I have it set up in Open G, and use it for tinkering around with a slide, and it's fine for that.

Someday I'll fix it.

In the meantime, I will get some pics of it tonight, because I do think it is a very nice guitar. It's this one, but it's a solid black body. The tape on the neck plate is just a note to remind me what the Open G tuning notes are for each string.

Last edited by Commodore 64; April 7th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Commodore 64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here's my Turser DLX. Just got it a few month ago. The black pick guard change was a bit of a chore and took some sanding to widen the neck pocket but it worked.

Love the sound of this guitar. I'm keeping the original pups.

www.myspace.com/dawiklund
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JT3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	46996   Click image for larger version

Name:	JT5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	46997  
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm still trying to figure out if I like that neck bucker in mine or not.
Commodore 64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Heres my JT 200 Pro. I have been saying it for years these guitars are way over looked. I got mine new for $120.00 because it had a nick on the back edge. One day I will probably change the pups , but Im in no big hurry. This is my go to guitar when ever I need humbuckers

JT 200 Pro front and center

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.reverbnation.com/#/redtele

If the music business was easy, then smart people would do it.
Donnie55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've read a lot of good things about the Turser guitars. In fact I'm ordering a JT-200 Pro tomorrow. I'll post some pics and a review on it.
gearhead63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I bought and sold 2 JT dbl Bound Black bodies recently. Not sure how I was able to snag them on ebay, but there was a bidding battle for both of them when I resold them. Wish I had kept one of them. The cream binding on the black body like the i\picture above is really nice.

I have a JT Tele type Bass that is nice. They sell new for $115 on ebay every day. How can the chineze or whoever is making these do that? I'd like to pick up a JT tele copy but you guys are letting everyone know how underappreciated these guitars are with all this publicity... :)
czook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicdave View Post
I'd like to ckeck out one of the rosewood Teles they produce for when I want to cop that rooftop vibe. Dave
Let's have a pic of that just so we can all relive that rooftop vibe.

I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive but decent Tele copy to play, review, and then pass on. I've been looking at Xavieres and SXes. What about the necks and pups on these JT LTs? Does anyone know the profile, radius, etc.?

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just received my new Jay Turser JT-200 Pro!
SWEET!
Solidly built, plays great right out of the box, 1 string was out of tune after being shipped half way across the US!
Better than ANY of the Epiphones I have (not better than my '78 Gibson Melody Maker, but REAL close!) Wish I had bought one of these before now, a truly underrated guitar! Think I'm going to get another!
I wanted the Amber unit, but got this on eBay for $150 including shipping!
FANTASTIC PRICE!
#1 FOR VALUE AND QUALITY!

Old February 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
...What about the necks and pups on these JT LTs? Does anyone know the profile, radius, etc.?
Bump. No one? Nothing about pups? About neck profiles, radii...?

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett

Old February 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead63 View Post
Just received my new Jay Turser JT-200 Pro!
SWEET!
Solidly built, plays great right out of the box, 1 string was out of tune after being shipped half way across the US!
Better than ANY of the Epiphones I have (not better than my '78 Gibson Melody Maker, but REAL close!) Wish I had bought one of these before now, a truly underrated guitar! Think I'm going to get another!
I wanted the Amber unit, but got this on eBay for $150 including shipping!
FANTASTIC PRICE!
#1 FOR VALUE AND QUALITY!

I bought an amber one at GC a few weeks ago; it was marked down as a factory second because the neck binding was a little sloppy. I echo all of your sentiments about this guitar, especially the Epiphone comparison. It truly is an amazing value.
swolter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

How about a Jay Turser 12 string.

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I really like these Tursers. Bought these two a few years ago, or so. Both very nice. The 335 copy is better than the Epi Dot in my opinion. Even has binding on the F holes. I have put GFS Alnico 59 PAF pups in it and it now sounds great! I put Graph Tech nuts on all my guitars as soon as they arrive.
I also put a Gotoh bridge on this one.

The other is the JT-300, trans red. I haven't done any mods to this, but the Graph Tech nut and an Orange Drop Cap. I love the chunky neck on this one. Very nice guitar for the money.

Sorry for the crappy photos, need to get some better shots.

My son just bought a trans blue one a month ago, on my recommendation for a decent budget guitar. He got his for $65 shipped. His has the rosewood fretboard. On his we replace the nut, and installed a new GFS trem unit with the steel block and new Orange Drop cap.
howardlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Bump. No one? Nothing about pups? About neck profiles, radii...?
ok! Gibson style 60's slim taper neck, frets nice, no sharp edges! Action good! Haven't done anything but tuneup and plug in! The pickups are pretty hot! Bridge about 13k, neck 8.7k. Guessing Alnico V or Ceramic magnets. Controls feel good, no noise. Toggle switch is one of those cheap enclosed units, gonna change it out for a Gibson style selector. Has a variety of tones, from nice cleans to hard, crunchy metal to sweet Les Paul style singing blues from the neck pup! Tuners are tight, stays in tune well, all the hardware seems pretty good for a "cheap" guitar. The finish is nice, and all the routings are clean, professional looking, unlike many of the Epiphone guitars I've seen.
Wasn't sure how it was gonna sound with the alder body and maple cap, but I figured it was gonna be close to a Les Paul tone. It's a little brighter than let's say a Gibson LP Standard, close to the '78 LP Custom I had (mahogany body, maple cap, 3 piece maple neck). And pretty much the sound I was looking for. Feels good, guess it weighs about 7 lbs. And when you play it you can feel the whole body resonate. Have to say that I really am happy! ANY other comparable guitar I've seen would be at LEAST twice the money!
In fact I purchased a JT220 Cherry Sunburst, should be here by next week. But it's a repair project, got knocked over and broke the headstock. No pups. But only paid $45 for it. Gonna install a Mighty Mite and looking at a Bill Lawrence L500-XL (Dimebag used these in his Dean guitars), they are very high output lead pickups, encapsulated in epoxy resin. Supposed to be VERY low feedback and noise, and a good high end, which is usually compromised when you have a real high output unit. I'll post some pics when it comes in and a review when I get it done.

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well, thanks, gearhead63. That was helpful. I talked more than a week ago about picking up a Tele clone to play, review and pass on. Well, I had in mind to pass on said clone a couple of months from now, but the time frame just got moved up, so I'm not going to have time to order one. I think I'll check out local pawn shops tomorrow, and hope I get lucky.

Bob Bennett

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Ok, I'm not sure if this one counts! Bought it last week for $45 without pickups or toggle switch. just finished the repair, but haven't done the finish yet. Plays good though!
I guess you could call this a "headless"?

[IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/Gear_head1963/My%20guitars
/MVC-607S.jpg[/IMG]

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

oh hey! glad to see there's some love for these guitars. my only tele in fact is a turser, so i guess they're my reason for being at tdpri!

I didn't really like the feel of the neck, a little too plastic-y, so i swapped it for a deluxe nashville neck that i love, one of the best i've played on. the pickups are pretty weak, planning on swapping out the electronics someday, which will then only keep the body as the original piece. that's live i guess. onto the pics!

As it looks currently

When I had a white guard on, with detail of how great a $100 paisley guitar can look:
Cunningham26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Ok, I did the neck repair on my TJ-200 Cherry Burst, installed Mighty Mite humbuckers, a new nut, and WOW! Man I LOVE this guitar! Feels like the older Gibsons I've owned! Has a fantastic sound! The neck and action are excellent! Think I'm going to install the set of Grover tuners I have and JAM!
I've got one set of controls out waiting on my new pots.

HELLUVA GUITAR FOR THE MONEY! And I've had top of the line Gibson Les Paul Customs among others!

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, thanks, gearhead63. That was helpful. I talked more than a week ago about picking up a Tele clone to play, review and pass on. Well, I had in mind to pass on said clone a couple of months from now, but the time frame just got moved up, so I'm not going to have time to order one. I think I'll check out local pawn shops tomorrow, and hope I get lucky.
Well, I'm still looking. I was hoping to pick up something to keep on our family farm, which means essentially giving it to my kid brother. I've been looking in pawn shops to no avail. What I've been considering is either something from Rondo Music (SX, Douglas, Agile), Xaviere or Jay Turser.

Now I realize I'm asking this in the Jay Turser Guitar Club thread, so I would expect votes to be cast in favor of JT. But can anyone with experience with both JT and any of the other brands just mentioned qualify why I should go with JT?

Bob Bennett