8502-American Ash Telecaster Club - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom guitars and special models from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

To those of you that know and love this model....Welcome!

To those new to this Telecaster....
Let's hear it for the rarest of them all....The American Series Ash Telecaster, (8502 Model). Manufactured only from 2003 through 2007, in Corona, Ca. USA, and based on some of the 52' RI specs, with some very modern appointments.

Such as: "Modern Vintage" Pickups (only on this production model).
Chrome plated brass saddles
Steel Bridge plate
Delta-Tone Switching

Available only in Vintage Honey Blonde (black guard), and 2-tone Sunburst (white guard). Though some of the earlier Blondes had a white guard.

[IMG] [IMG]

telemon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

A great model.

Would have done a beautiful job of reinforcing people's perceptions that the USA models were the ones to have, had this model been made available to more customers.

The failure to back this model up with serious inventory numbers, as well as the same for the Texas Tele, still has me scratching my head about FMIC.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ah, the Telecaster that Fender failed to promote. Unless I should happen upon a real 50s tele for a silly price I don't see me ever replacing it. Even then I suspect I'd prefer the neck on this one. I have put in a 4 way switch but I can't think of any other change I could possibly want to make to this excellent guitar. In fact I'm thinking of reversing the mod because I hardly ever use the "humbucker".

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm with BB....a great model. I only recently sold mine as I needed a jazz box more.
With the tort guard it was the best looking, sounding and playing Tele I've ever had.
jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've always liked these, though I have never owned one. Was the body routed for two singles like '52, or did it get the H/S/H routing that is common with the American Series?

Old October 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

i have that same guitar. It was my first tele. It was exactly what i wanted. maple neck and ash body. The pickups are good too. I plan on keeping it stock.
black tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low4 View Post
I've always liked these, though I have never owned one. Was the body routed for two singles like '52, or did it get the H/S/H routing that is common with the American Series?
Mine is routed H/S/S like the Nashvilles. I think this is standard.

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Neck specs of 8502 American Ash tele?

I did have an 8502 tele and foolishly sold it in favour of a G&L (please don't hate me!) ASAT Classic Bluesboy (semi-hollow, no f-hole). There was definately something special about that 8502's neck. It felt just perfect to my hands. Again, I should never have sold it. Thing is, I've played other teles with the same neck specs (on paper) as the 8502 but they never feel as right or the same. Can someone comment to explain why this might be the case? Please PM me if so. Thanks!
szechuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've never quite known what model my tele is until I read this and think I may have just found out! It's a 2 tone sunburst with a one piece neck, the ash body and all that stuff listed. The only thing I found comparable in pics was the deluxe with the S1 switching but mine never had that. Is there a diffinative way of finding out? I bought it 2nd hand so just picked it up, played it and fell in love.
kidfortuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied

Kid, of you have a stock bridge plate with the 3 mount holes below 6 through holes arrangement, and your plate is magnetic (steel) that makes it virtually certain you have a 8502 model. There is a Classic Custom plate that may be magnetic also, but it has a little lip on top of the back edge of the plate. Every other Fender 3 mount holes below 6 thru holes type plate is chromed brass, I understand. If you got the steel plate, that's the Holy Grail. Bill Callaham and Glendale Guitars make a steel plate for those guitars but each is super easy to identify as aftermarket.

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have that!! The 3 screw mount and the steel magnetic bridge plate!! This is great, I've wondered fot ages what type I have and now I know, cheers Bubanov ;-)

Any idea what these are worth? I paid 700 (UK) for it a couple of years back...not that I'm thinking of selling it mind...

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfortuna View Post
I have that!! Any idea what these are worth? I paid 700 (UK) for it a couple of years back...not that I'm thinking of selling it mind...
To give you an idea about prices, since this model doesnt come up for sale very often:

I was about to buy one (in honey blonde) for $925, including shipping, and in fact I did buy one, or rather I paid for one. But then the seller (the OP of this thread and founder of this club) changed his mind and decided to keep it for himself.

As wrong as that was, he was nice enough to give me a lead on another one
being sold on Craigslist in Philly . . . after some prodding, I got the guy to agree to ship it to me. That one, a 2 tone sunburst, cost me $800 plus shipping.

I'll be posting some pics of it and formally applying for membership in the club later.
nvilletele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Sounds like I paid a pretty reasonable price for here in the UK then. Wonder if they'll go up in value due to the limited run?

Gotta say that what a previous poster said about the neck is spot on - when I first played it what struck me was just how comfortable and smooth it felt. Never had that instant ease with a guitar before. Maybe I'll get some pics up on here later this eve..

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

One more thing, what is the neck profile on these? I've heard some saying U shaped but I'm pretty sure mine's a C....

Old October 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What makes the 8502 neck so special?

Can someone explain why the 8502 neck felt so good to me (back when I had one) vs. other guitars with basically the same neck specs (on paper)? Is it the satin finish perhaps?
szechuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Long ride the Brothers of the 8502!

The Truth About The Blues;

Tele Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfortuna View Post
One more thing, what is the neck profile on these? I've heard some saying U shaped but I'm pretty sure mine's a C....

Chunky C?

Yeah, this "U" shaped neck stuff from Fender is just marketing speak.

They're trying to differentiate this one from the slim C neck on a regular series.

They do this on several models.

Old November 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I haven't yet had a chance to take any pics of my 8502, but when I do I will be sure to get some nice pics of the neck. I dont know much about either the art or science of determining which letter of the alphabet a neck shape most resembles, but I can tell you that the neck on the 8502 is certainly chunky. I havent measured or done detailed side by side comparisons (yet), but if memory serves it is at least, if not more, chunky, than the AV52 and the 52 Hot Rod.

Old November 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here's my official application for entry into the 8502 club.

I'll get some comparison picks showing this neck vs. some other teles later.

Old November 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

nvilletele,

Welcome to the Brothers of the 8502!
Tele Jr is offline   Reply With Quote