G&L Owners club - Page 12 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom guitars and special models from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #221 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm sure that VictorNoel's decision to off-load the Tele was strictly financial. Who wouldn't want both? My wife might not always agee, but I think it is impossible to own TOO MANY guitars! Variety is the spice.....................

I firmly believe that G&L is Leo's fullfilment of his own personal dream to give us players the finest instument he could without the compromise of business-influenced goals. He never tried to push G&L on us. He put forth his final ideas and then left it to us to decide. I have read that it was Leo's desire that G&L remain (in effect) a Custom Shop....................

Some say Leo Fender is the inventor of modern music. I personally thank him for what has been the most spiritually-rewarding aspect of my life, being my music. Yes, all of his creations should be celebrated equally.

I really did like my Baja Tele. It was well-built & rock solid, big fan of the neck, & the pickups were quite nice. I just thought I'd be more into the switching system than I was. Instead of doing some mods, even something simple, I traded it to someone who was looking for a very nice Baja. Like you guys, I love all things Fender. Especially ASATs/Teles.

VictorNoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #222 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here's my admission ticket to the club.

Had it since around '95, but for whatever reason, never really bonded with it...... till now.

Am in the process of really starting to love the pickups, Tele like or not, they are HOT but very very clean, helping me to get something of that bell like ring I usually associate with larger gauge strings and tuning down.

I never really dug the white/black color scheme, but after seeing some all black Tele's and ASATs, I ordered the black pickup covers (dirt cheap) and made a shorty black guard. I'm likin it. A lot. I also made a cherry (with a big ole knot) and a maple shorty guard to try out if I get tired of the black.

Then there's the rosewood/maple neck I bought for it, but like it too much the way it is to bother switching them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickguards.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	46508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Body.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	46509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upright Body.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	46510  

Name:	Front Close a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	46511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old pickguard.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	46512  
GreeneFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #223 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynde View Post

Here's my -96 Classic. It is all I really need but like everyone here, I trust, I wouldn't mind owning couple of more G&L's.
I bought one just like this last night on ebay, a 1997 model. Cant wait to get it!
I'm going to change the pickups in it (I already have two ASAT Classic's with standard pickups) to Don Mares DonOcasters as soon as cash allows.
blargfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #224 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Pups

Send me those G&L pups please,blargfromspace
I'll make good use of them.

JJ

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #225 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John1 View Post
Send me those G&L pups please,blargfromspace
I'll make good use of them.

JJ
Hi John
I usually hang on to stuff like pickups but if I decide to get rid of them you'll get them. For a small price of course....

Old April 18th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #226 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

G&L Owners Club

I have a 2001 G&L Asat Classic in Clear Orange with a
Swamp Ash Body and a Maple Neck. I don't have any pictures
yet when I get them I'll post them
vox Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #227 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Like This ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox Phantom View Post
I have a 2001 G&L Asat Classic in Clear Orange with a
Swamp Ash Body and a Maple Neck. I don't have any pictures
yet when I get them I'll post them
Like this but with the small neck pup ?

JJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ot 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	46953  

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #228 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here are my G&L's. They're not great photo's but I only have the camera on my phone. I'll list them in order of appearance into my life.

Eight years after my first experience with a G&L in a local shop, I could finally afford one. My first was an ASAT Classic S, 2007 model. It's one of only 12 in this finish - Old School Tobacco Sunburst. It has a forearm and belly contour making it incredibly comfortable. I have given this one a name. It's so damn handsome, a very masculine finish and this name came to me seconds after opening the case for the first time. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Juan Carlos Montoya *applause*

I custom ordered this next one. Spanish Copper metallic, semi-hollow with no F-hole, #1 neck (big C shape, 12" fretboard radius) and gun oil gloss neck. And locking tuners. Made in November '09. I have found the finish very difficult to photograph and have no in any way done it justice here, but it looks great in full sun or under stage lights!

And finally, this came in the post this morning. A 1997 ASAT Classic. I didn't need it but had to have it. The body is made from a single piece of ash and is very lightweight, about the same as my semi-hollow! It has fantastic sustain, not that the others don't, but this one is special. The neck is a thinner C and I wish it was fatter, like the others I own, but hell, it sounds great. I'm changing the pickups in this one to Don Mare DonOcasters or hayrides, I haven't quite decided yet.

The amps in the pics are an Ampeg J-20 reissue and a Ceriatone 5E3 which I have dubbed "The Paisley Deluxe". I might edit this post in the future if I get hold of a better camera!

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #229 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blargfromspace View Post
Here are my G&L's. They're not great photo's but I only have the camera on my phone. I'll list them in order of appearance into my life.

Eight years after my first experience with a G&L in a local shop, I could finally afford one. My first was an ASAT Classic S, 2007 model. It's one of only 12 in this finish - Old School Tobacco Sunburst. It has a forearm and belly contour making it incredibly comfortable. I have given this one a name. It's so damn handsome, a very masculine finish and this name came to me seconds after opening the case for the first time. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Juan Carlos Montoya *applause*

whoa, smokin! lets see some more photos of ol' Juan Carlos, plz
scud133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #230 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here you go, Scud. I'm more than happy to show these off. Juan Carlos loves having his photo taken.

See the forearm contour!

See the belly contour!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #231 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Another X-body (NOS)

Love that Leo era stuff

GLH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #232 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John1 View Post
Larry,larry,larry,english teacher larry..................pitcher ?

Gimme a pitcher !

He was a great pitcher !

Picture perfect.

JJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
true, but you gotta read his post with an accent. just imagine a thick southern drawl when you read it
Ya got that right, scud my man. And took John's good natured ribbing all in stride. I'm a Texan, born and bred, and I most definitely do talk Texan!

I speak other languages, including Spanish, and I learned it so young in life that I have been told by Hispanics that I have no accent. (Ironic, in that I sure have one when I speak English! Especially if you get me around kinfolk and certain friends.)

There was a time when we had recently returned to Texas after living for 5 years in San Juan, Puerto Rico that a couple of girls from the booming metropolis of Post, Texas (population 3,700--Salute!) told my older brother and me, and I quote, "Y'all talk funny!" Again, ironic.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #233 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

G&L Owner Club

Jammin'John1 my Asat Classic is the same color
but the neck pickup is smaller. I wish I had some
pictures because from what I see here there are
some really good ones.
vox Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #234 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think I'm loosing it. I could have sworn that I posted very recently comments about the G&L pup that resembles a P-90, as in the neck pup of the ASAT Classic Custom and the pups on the ASAT Special. And it seems logical to me that I would have posted such comments/questions in this thread, but I don't see it. Wonder where I put that? I'm beginning to wonder if I ever did post it. This is going to drive me batty, and I really need to be getting ready for gigs today. Oh well, sorry for the rambling post. I guess I'll figure it out later.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM   #235 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not The Same

The pickup on the Classic Custom,although the same size {it's taller} as a regular Asat,is NOT the same pickup.
It has more windings and the bushings that the screws are in are thicker/longer.
I thought it might be too dark sounding but I was wrong.
It sounds very clear & very big.
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...stom/index.asp

JJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ot 003.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	48227  

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #236 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a 2006 korean made G and L asat semi hollow tribute tele with P 90 pick ups and an f hole. I play this thing all the time. I just love it!I have only had it for about 5 months.
sangeetkar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM   #237 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

what are G an L teles with two humbuckers like? My humbucking yamaha sg 1500 guitar is back breaker. I am wondering about getting a lighter humbucking guitar.
sangeetkar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM   #238 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangeetkar View Post
what are G an L teles with two humbuckers like? My humbucking yamaha sg 1500 guitar is back breaker. I am wondering about getting a lighter humbucking guitar.
I have an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow, it's very light. It also has Schaller locking tuners which do make it slightly neck heavy. It doesn't sound like a Les Paul or a Tele ,it has it's own thing going on. Bridge pickup is a Duncan JB, neck is a G&L, the clean tones from the neck pickup are surprisingly good and the JB is great for rock or heavy blues tones. They both split simultaneously via a mini switch which does give some decent quasi tele sounds.

Pics ...

SouthpawGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #239 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawGuy View Post
That's a gorgeous top on that guitar! I have an ASAT Deluxe, too, and it's probably posted earlier in the thread.

Like SouthpawGuy said, it's got it's own thing going on, but it's one of my favorite G&Ls.

Southpaw, I have Schaller locking tuners on this guitar, too, but one thing I did was to swap out the tuner knobs for ebony, and not only do they look kinda nice, they reduced quite a bit of the weight as well.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Tu...r_Buttons.html
jim_pridx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #240 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just got this one a couple of days ago:

mikethedigimon is offline   Reply With Quote