Peavey Guitar Owners Club... - Page 22 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Owners Clubs > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Here you'll find owners club threads for many different custom guitars and special models from larger manufacturers, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #421 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Laird View Post
I thought they went for a bit lower than that generally. I know they have the original hardshell case for it as well and it is in really good shape. I am thinking I could get them to come down quite a bit on it since I have been a regular rescuer of their guitars. I'll see what I can get them to do. I always thought those old Peaveys were interesting. They have a certain vibe about them.
That's very kind of you that you are saving those poor guitars. Good luck.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #422 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Why, Tom, do you say that you don't think you'd have said this five years ago?

I also have some other Peavey teles that I got at really good prices. My favorite is the Gen EXP "Vintage" tele in vintage sunburst that has a very good sounding stock full sized covered humbucker at the neck position. It is all around a great guitar in my opinion.

I also have the sunburst traditional type Peavey tele with a black guard and Peavey traditional tele pickups. This is also a very nice guitar. In addition to that I have a double bound tele, "Custom" I think it is, that has twin covered humbuckers and a simulated acoustic stereo circuit. This one is a very classy looking tele.

I should take some pictures of them and get them on here. I also have a decent Peavey Zodiac four string bass that is a decent bass, no problem there, P/J style.

I think all of these are Asian.

A store near me has a used USA peavey, I think it's a T-60 natural finish. They want, IMO, way too much for it. Some dude is trying to sell it thru their store and has what I think are unrealistic expectations on selling it for a price like that. It is also very heavy. It is the single coil version I think. I think he is asking 400 for it. I'll check the next time I go in there. Around here people don't want to pay big dollars for things like this. A lot of people don't have a lot of money.

Duffy the reason why I wouldn't say that was mainly because 5 years ago, all I wanted was a Parker which I got (but couldn't afford Fly so I got P-42) and pretty much any other brand was leaving me cold. And also at that time I still lived in Europe and Peavey guitars were not the common ones (I've seen some amps though). So it's interesting how things turned around for me, now I play only Peavey

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #423 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
I missed this thread

Peavey T-40 bass (under 10-lb!)
I like those, especially in black.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 10th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #424 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I just bought a 1992 Predator yesterday. It is in excellent condition except two of the grommets were missing. I took the strings off and turned it over and two of the other grommets fell right out. I just tapped the other two out with an allen wrench. I then put in six grommets I had laying around strung it up and tuned it. I played it a couple of hours last night and another couple of hours today. It stayed in tune real well, so I don't plan to change the tuners. Fun guitar to play. I'll post pictures of it as soon as I figure out how to do it.

RonS
Well I finally figured out how to post pictures. Here is pic of my 1992 Predator.

RonS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0032.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	200967  
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #425 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Peaveycaster Project Complete! Former 1994 Predator...

Some great deals were found on black hardware,
thus keeping the cost-much lower.

Mods before I bought it...
CTS Pots.
Fender Tort 3 ply pickguard.
Foam inserts in trem cavity.
5 trem springs, & decked bridge.
Rio Grande pickups...
-Half Breed (neck).
-Vintage Tallboys (middle+bridge).

Mods since...
Schaller M6 Mini tuners.
Black screws on pickguard & trem cover.
Fender Amer. Deluxe 3 ply black trem cover.
Dunlop 'Original' Straplok black strap buttons.
Switchcraft jack, cloth jack wires and black jack plate.

The fretboard appears lighter in the photo due to bright sunlight.

Old October 11th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #426 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Nicely done Hiker! Glad everything worked out for you.
Matt Laird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #427 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

She's looking great Hiker.

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #428 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Laird View Post
Nicely done Hiker! Glad everything worked out for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas83 View Post
She's looking great Hiker.
Thanks, this is the first platform for any mods on my bench! The pickups work great for as a Strat alternative. It is noteworthy in that it awoke my appreciation for AlNico pickups, my first. So, almost immediately, I located a set from a Fender American Strat, and soldered them into my MIM Standard Strat, and the ceramics went in a drawer.

Some of you should give AlNico pups a chance, and don't look for the lowest price set on the web. Sometimes it's worth saving awhile, and going for better materials & workmanship.

Old October 12th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #429 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
Thanks, this is the first platform for any mods on my bench! The pickups work great for as a Strat alternative. It is noteworthy in that it awoke my appreciation for AlNico pickups, my first. So, almost immediately, I located a set from a Fender American Strat, and soldered them into my MIM Standard Strat, and the ceramics went in a drawer.

Some of you should give AlNico pups a chance, and don't look for the lowest price set on the web. Sometimes it's worth saving awhile, and going for better materials & workmanship.
I use predominantly Dimarzios and Rio Grandes in all my guitars. The only non Alnicos that I have in any of these axes around here is the set of Fender SCNs that I put in my dingy, dirty white 94 Predator and now that I remember it, the Fast track in the black Predator is ceramic. While I prefer Alnico, I am still planning on adding a Tone Zone in the middle and a Air Norton in the neck of the black one. Never had a strat style guitar with a full run of Dimarzio blades in it, might be interesting for variety's sake.
Matt Laird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #430 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post

Exactly! That's why I'm getting SD's Alnico II Slash version.

Old October 13th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #431 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas83 View Post
Exactly! That's why I'm getting SD's Alnico II Slash version.

A set of Pearly Gates are supposed to sound very good in a guitar like yours too.

Old October 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #432 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
A set of Pearly Gates are supposed to sound very good in a guitar like yours too.
Yes Duffy, I was considering a lot of options from Seymour's factory. Than I watched this video and that was pretty much decided: http://youtu.be/gIHnP5xtz5s
I also called them later and after describing what I'm looking for they recommended the APS.

Old October 19th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #433 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I picked this 1990 Generation S-1 up at a local Pawn shop a month or so ago.
It was on the rack nasty with rusted strings green frets and dead on the electronics. Got it with the hard case for $150 and brought it back to life. This thing RIPS! Sustains for days and surprisingly I really like these Peavy actives.
Turned out battery was stone dead + the clip was pretty butchered so new battery and clip was all she needed. Frets show no wear neck is straight and she plays like a dream.
Need to get some clips up of her live as she is a keeper and has been sharing the stand and stage time with my 07 PRS Custom 24 for the last couple weeks playing out!

Ascension is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #434 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow... $150 with a hard case? You should try this for living. Congrats on a nice guitar.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:20 PM   #435 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, Ascension! That's a major score!

My only Peavey guitar is also a Generation S1, but mine's transparent blue. I've posted about it several times, and I thought I had posted about it in this thread, but I just discovered that I haven't. Well, better late than never...

In the summer of 1993, I went into a north Houston pawn shop to check out guitars and gear. I certainly didn't need any; after making what I laughingly called my living by playing music for fifteen years, I had quit gigging a few months earlier.

On the wall was a Peavey Generation S1-- the first I had ever seen. Bright transparent blue over gorgeous tiger maple and mahogany... I asked to try it. The most convenient amp into which I could plug it was a Peavey KB300 keyboard amp, which featured a 15" and a horn. I started playing a slow finger style blues in E.

The other customers in the shop stopped what they were doing and listened.

The guy at the counter who'd handed me the guitar and cable stopped what he was doing and listened.

The manager and the three BATF agents with whom he was conferring stopped talking and listened.

It certainly wasn't my playing, which was not then and is not now anything special, that made people shut up and listen. The sound of that guitar was magic.

And I got the sinking feeling in my stomach which told me that, even though I didn't need it and couldn't really afford it, there was no way I was leaving that pawn shop without that guitar.

I rationalized it as a present to the me of the day from the me of the future who would have to pay for it. $300 on the plastic, out the door.

Back home, the Boss TU-12H revealed that the guitar was tuned D to D, with what proved to be .010-.046 strings. I tried tuning it up to standard. It sounded good, but the magic I (and everyone else) had heard in the pawn shop was gone; it was just another good electric guitar. I tuned it back down, and the magic returned. I've have kept it in this tuning ever since.

Pictures of musical instruments are very much like sculptures of food.
syrynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:57 AM   #436 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

[QUOTE=syrynx;5356180]

I rationalized it as a present to the me of the day from the me of the future who would have to pay for it.

That sentence is priceless...in fact I'm going to remember it the next time I want something and I'm with my wife.

Old October 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #437 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Last month I asked about Peavey's Riptide guitars (Tele style guitars with a twist). No one responded to my post, so I guess no one here has one or has tried one out.

Well, yesterday my December issue of Guitar Player magazine came in the mail, and contained an article (the cover story, actually) about budget electric guitars: "21 Solidbody Electrics Under $500." Of the 21 guitars tested by GP staffers, one was a Peavey Riptide, the Classic White version with maple fretboard.

GP Senior Editor Art Thompson did the write up/review on the Riptide. Here are his comments, transcribed from page 87 of that issue:

Quote:
This offbeat take on a T-style features a hip body shape and a nice playing neck with super-solid 5-bolt joint. The frets are well attended to with smooth crowns and beveled tips, and the setup is happening--the strings ride low on the maple 'board and the intonation sounds sweet in all positions.

The Riptide is a nice playing guitar that delivers the expected array of bright, punchy tones. The rear pickup has strong output and can serve everything from mean twang tones to ballsy distortion through a high-gain amp or pedal. The neck pickup is a good match for it, offering warmth and detail need for jazz and enough output for singing solos. Combined, they complement each other with tones that are rich, detailed, and ideal for a variety of styles. Hinting at what a Tele might have morphed into had the designers at Fender let their hair down a bit in the '60s, the Riptide is the essence of retro chic.
Underneath that brief review the specs were listed.

Price: $399.
Nut width: 1.65"
Neck: Maple, bolt-n (5 bolts)
Fretboard: Maple, 25.5" scale
Frets: 22
Tuners: Grover, die-cast, 16:1
Body: Alder
Bridge: Tele-style [3 saddle]
Pickups: Custom wound single-coils
Controls: Volume, Tone (pulls to split coild [sic]); 3-way pickup selector
Factory strings: D'Addario, .010-.046
Weight: 7.5 lbs.
Built: Indonesia

A couple of comments on the specs. First, the fretboard is maple on the "Classic White" version GP tested, but the Riptide is also available in black, blue and red, and each of these has a rosewood fretboard.

Second, did anyone notice that bit about "pulls to split coild"? That is a verbatim quote of the specs listed in the GP article. Aside from the obvious typo of "coild" for "coils," I'm guessing that the whole phrase is some kind of typo/editorial glitch. Nothing in Thompson's review indicated coil-splitting. Indeed, the specs indicate "Custom wound single-coils" (which I also verified on Peavey's website), so what's to split?

All in all, though, it was a helpful review, and I was glad to read something about this model beyond ad copy on Peavey's site.

Oh, yeah, here's a pic from the Peavey website of the Classic White Riptide that GP reviewed:

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #438 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
Oh, yeah, here's a pic from the Peavey website of the Classic White Riptide that GP reviewed:

Interesting looking guitar. Don't they sell those at Walmart now?

Not trying to be a wiseguy, I actually think I saw one of those recently at Walmart.

I have to say I'm broken-hearted by what's happened to Peavey. They still make a *few* amps here in the USA, but no more guitars, and I've heard that most of the former factory buildings in Meridian are now just empty shells.

I don't mind Asian production provided that quality is good and basic worker safety standards are met...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
I picked this 1990 Generation S-1 up at a local Pawn shop a month or so ago...

Great deal on a killer looking guitar! Most of my S1's have been in the $350 range. I paid $500 for a couple of minty ones, and the cheapest one I scored so far was $200. Let me know if you ever want to sell yours...
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #439 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Wow. That Generation is killer.
davidwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #440 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
Last month I asked about Peavey's Riptide guitars (Tele style guitars with a twist). No one responded to my post, so I guess no one here has one or has tried one out.
Larry, since your post I've had occasion to try a couple of Riptides. I encountered a 1987 Backstage 50 in a music store a couple of weeks ago. Eyeing the available options, I thought a brand-new Classic White Riptide would be the perfect axe for testing the amp. Unfortunately, there was no signal present at the guitar's output jack. I grabbed another Riptide (this one in Lauderdale Red) and plugged it in. This one sounded, and sounded good-- as long as I didn't play more than one note at a time. The action was high, and the three saddle barrels formed a straight line, with none of them in the right place.

I liked what I saw, what I felt, and what I heard monotonically, but I fear that most music store Riptide trials are likely to be like mine unless the store spends some time setting up the guitars before hanging them on the walls.

The red Riptide did let me hear enough to pull the trigger on the amp.

Pictures of musical instruments are very much like sculptures of food.
syrynx is offline   Reply With Quote