Marshall 1987 try - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum A special place for special amps - the forum for tube amp lovers and you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Marshall 1987 try

Hello Fellow Tele's,
I live in the South of England and feel the need for the above amp. U-tube research does not quite give the clarity of result that I feel I need before I go ahead and start the buying process, and so I was wondering if any nearby owners could offer me a go on theirs through my 4 ohm 2X12 cab?
I would be very happy if this can be arranged.
Any NMV amps that people feel I should consider I would also be pleased to try or at least consider.
Thank you for any help or opinions......
Richard.

52BIGSBY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Me again,
Or a JCM800...I am not sure about getting the thumpy cleans from one of these, but would enjoy finding out.
Thanks again for any help,
Richard.

Old July 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

.......Or a Vintage Modern?..........................

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Or shall I just join a Marshall forum and ask there?

Old July 17th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

What are you curious about? MD 1987.....think hard hitting 5F6A BAssman due mainly to the solid state rectifier versus the tube rectifier of the 5F6A BAssman and the early 'Bluesbreaker' Marshall. Think Angus Young of AC/DC when it is pushed with humbuckers.
JCM 800....?what model?? IIRC, there were 14 or 15 different JCM 800 amps.
FWIW, if you want big thumpy cleans, go for the 100-watter. Think Anguss brother Malcolm on rhythm. He uses the 100-watt MD. 1959.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
What are you curious about? MD 1987.....think hard hitting 5F6A BAssman due mainly to the solid state rectifier versus the tube rectifier of the 5F6A BAssman and the early 'Bluesbreaker' Marshall. Think Angus Young of AC/DC when it is pushed with humbuckers.
JCM 800....?what model?? IIRC, there were 14 or 15 different JCM 800 amps.
FWIW, if you want big thumpy cleans, go for the 100-watter. Think Anguss brother Malcolm on rhythm. He uses the 100-watt MD. 1959.
Thanks for that, you are correct in asking about the amount of JCM800's, and as from my post can tell I am reasonably unclear as to the Marshall thing. However I played many years ago a NMV Marshall amp that had such great depth of tone that it has got to be the best base from which to build.
If I can just sort out a try of one then I can have some direction. To be honest I do not know what you mean by MD. I find lots of expressions like this and have no idea what people are "talking" about. Again any help with thanks.
Richard.

Old July 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Richardm, I shoul dhave used a small 'd' there with a period. Md. 1987...meaning Model 1987---50 watt, 2 x EL-34's. There is a Md. 1987 in the JTM Series starting in 1966, There is a Md. 1987 in the JMP series, and there is a Md. 1987 was continued through the JCM 800 Series.
IF you played a non-MV Marshall, on-reverb amp long ago and it was in head form, then you more than likely played either the Md. 1987 50-watter or the Md. 1959 100-watt. These amps have 4 inputs.....and they made much music happen from the late '60's to modern days. There are bass versions of both of those amps.
If you run across a Md. 1959S('91-'93) or Md. 1959SLP ('93 on), thsoe are modern versions of the 100-watt, 4-hole Md. 1959. THe SLP is the most accurate repro of the orignal 1959. The 'Modern Vitnage mentioned above is a 2 power tube modern take on the classic 50-watter, IIRC.
If you find a MD. 2203(100 watt) or Md. 2204(50 wt), you might find those interesting. The best are from the JMP era..'75 through '82, imho. These are MV amps, but they yield verymuch the same sonics as the non-mv, ime....just turn the MV to 10 and run the channel volumes at about 6-7. There ya go! Ime, every amp has a 'spot' where it starts to go to work. For these Marshalls, it is at at least '6' on the dial, for me.

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks Wally, really helpful. All considered it was a 1959. I used to have a Carvin Bel Air, two channel 50W amp. The clean channel was great, but stayed fairly clean even when pushed. The gain channel acted as a master volume, but I found it hard to dial in the correct tone without some fizzing out. I am thinking that a 1987x would be a very satisfactory half way house allowing more access to the deeper sound that one looses on master volume amps. It is good to know that this is in fact possible on the earlier master volume JMP's, and might save me from possibly buying a power brake or using my guitar volume pot properly......
Richard.

Old July 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well,
After all that I have just gone and bought a Vox AC30 HWH. Mathched with the old Carvin 2X12 it is a lot of fun. I think that given time I can destroy my house with soundwaves alone! Recommended.
Richard.

Old July 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats...nice amp...although it is not known for 'thumpy cleans'.

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52BIGSBY View Post
Well,
After all that I have just gone and bought a Vox AC30 HWH. Mathched with the old Carvin 2X12 it is a lot of fun. I think that given time I can destroy my house with soundwaves alone! Recommended.
Richard.
cross tape yer windows to avoid the dreaded VOX flying glass shards syndrome
Teletubbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the interesting comments. Oddly enough I was also thinking that the tone would be as you have suggested. However the bigsby this guitar produces a lot of depth, and matched with the Carvin 2X12 rewired for 16 ohms, gives a superb thump alike a LP. The treble can also be dealt with by use of the treble cut knob. Once I had tried this amp there was no going back. I used to have an AC30 a long time ago, but had all sorts of problems, the valve bases caught fire, I had to re-wire the input transformer, change valves etc. In the end it just got too much........
It will be a pleasure not having these "used valve amp" worries. I have not bought anything new for so long, it is all a bit exciting even when one is 51!
By the way, its not the windows that concern me, its the floor joists!
Thanks for the input, and although no one came forward with the offer of a try on a NMV Marshall, I will offer a try on this if it might help someone in my earlier position.
Richard.