DV Mark DV40 212 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum A special place for special amps - the forum for tube amp lovers and you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

DV Mark DV40 212

Anyone got some love here? Nice made in Italy all tube combo - saw Snarky Puppy a few weeks ago and saw the guitarist getting great tone out of one of these with a strat.

A real black beauty. A great tele amp for us folks who like it loud, but not back-breaking heavy.

0.5 Class A to 40 Class AB watts that you can adjust on the fly
Self Biasing, so you can sub out the existing 12AX7 and EL-34 tubes with 6L6, 6V6, etc....

2 channel with 6dB "solo" boost for each channel.

AND ITS ONLY 34 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm honeymooning, but boy so far so good!

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

A more thorough review:

I’ve been playing for over 40 years, and doing a lot of homework recently, looking for the elusive “holy grail amp”. I think I found it right here with the DV Mark DV40.

I have the DV40 212 combo – It’s lighter than my Ampeg Jet with one speaker! I am having a lot of fun with this amp – I really need a LOUD clean for my baseline tone, and this amp delivers. I can use my pedalboard to cover everything else. I play pop, blues, country, and some classic rock. The stock 12AX7 and EL34′s deliver a nice clean tone, Mesa to British sounding when playing with the presence knob; just make sure the gain is below 9 o’clock. Plenty of volume, EQ, and attenuated wattage tweaks to satisfy the “One Guitar, One Amp” guy who just wants to run out the door with a plug and play setup. Reverb is different than I am accustomed to, but very usable spring tone is available. Dark or bright, you can mold this guy to fit your particular situation, and space you happen to be in at a given moment. Lots of headroom available.

I did order some 6L6′s and high end 12AX7′s, and I can’t wait to try them out on this amp.

I have played this amp both quietly and at full authority, and it can be made to fit in almost any live situation. Not for the metal guys, but I don’t go there anyway. I can play jazz, country, blues and rock on this thing just fine. The sag and response on this amp is a little different than I have been accustomed to as well, but very easy to work with. I do like these speakers, and the whole unit is so lightweight!!! GREAT PLUS for the gigging, older than 25 crowd!

BIG PLUSES: The 6dB boost on both channels, light weight, Self biasing tube function, 0.5 class A to 40 watt Class AB tube tone!!!

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

As a confimed Deluxe Reverb Blues and classic R&B player, I picked up one of these combos used at GC for $499. While 37 lb weight is wonderful, tone is great and 212 pushes a lot of air. Clean, while not blackface, is good, and a little gain makes a good OD sound. I would liken it to a Barber OD pedal sound. Neo speakers are very efficient and sound like Alnico. There is plenty distortion available on 2nd channel, but I don't use that.

I got it to compete with my band mate's 50W Marshall, something my Deluxe Reverb wouldn't do without a mic in larger clubs. This amp does it in spades due to 40W and 212. I mostly play semi-hollows, and big chords sound very melodic and harmonic on this amp, like a Deluxe Reverb. No ice pick highs on leads, plenty bass.

6L6 tube swap trial is next for me also, as amp is cathode based.
Teobeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I really liked the amp with EL-34's, and I could get a very usable clean.

I put in Winged "C" (SED) 6L6GC's and new "preferred series" 12AX7's all around

http://www.thetubestore.com/Winged-C-SED-6L6GC

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12...ies-7025-12AX7

This is a whole new amp - sounds even more Fender-like. much more clean available with these tubes. Just popped them in, the amp biased itself, and they sound fabulous. Really nice cusp of breakup tones when set properly.

I am not a big fan of the OD sound, but I did not buy it for this reason. I use pedals for my OD and fuzz needs, and this amp does love pedals. I can even plug this into my DAW interface for recording. It will be nice to combine that signal with a nice mic when throwing down tracks.

I am so happy with this amp!

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Eddie:
I put 6L6s in yesterday. Clean is amazingly fenderish, almost twin reverb clean. Reverb is more present with these tubes. Big chords on semi hollow rhythm sound very clear, and lead tones have the bounce of an old TR. When some gain is added on CH 1, it sounds like tube OD. I prefer the 6L6 tubes, not as sweet as 6V6s in DRRI, but now I have the power I wanted, in a clean sound with headroom.

Interestingly, I have EQ all dialed down to 9:00 to get purest sound with my semi. I haven't tested with my solid bodies.

My group plays Allman Bros., Stevie Ray, other blues, R&B, soft rock and classic rock. This amp works for all of it. 40W 212 at 37 lbs? Unbelievable.
Teobeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Love mine as well with the 6L6's. Like a fender concert or twin at a better weight. Glad you are digging yours with the semi hollow. My Tele ans start love this amp!

Old May 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have been sussing out the 15 watt Galileo head , would like to try one before the $$ drop.
Thanks for the reviews here.
Shango66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Be in for a pleasant surprise. Convenient, versatile, lightweight, loud. Easy to use. I am very happy with my combo.

Old June 24th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I ordered one on saturday - just got the shipment notice. What sold me on the amp is the CPC. To me it sounded like blending from fender to vox flavour when I tried it in the store. I had an AC30 for some time - liked it but missed the punch of a big fender. I hope that with the DV-Mark's power control I can just adjust sag and punch as I like it. Lightweight doesn't hurt either. I have some rehearsals and gigs to come and will tell how the amp performs.

Old June 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Received the DV40 today. It sounds good overall, but it seems to have a pronounced resonance around 220 Hz I can't dial out. Will check it with the band on the weekand before I decide to keep or send back.

Old June 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have to revise my review of the DV40 completely. I took it to the studio today to see waht it can really do. I mentioned a strange resonance in my post above – let me set this straight: this may have been produced by setting the amp near the wall in my tiny music room. I didn't hear that when I used it in the bigger studio room and set up with some distance to the wall. Just want to make that clear first.
So today I gave it a workout in the studio, where I can really crank. I also took my fender vibroverb and a bjr. to have something to compare to. The verdict: the DV40 is a wonderful, versatile piece of gear.
At first I thought it would be complicated but if you just ignore the advanced features it is a straight master volume amp with 3 band EQ, presence, reverb and bright switch. And it really works well this way, has enough headroom and can produce sounds for jazz, blues, soul etc. A bit like a super reverb with master and 2 12" instead of 4 10" speaker. It can sound very much like a fender, but also darker. Compared to the raw voice of my vibrolux, the tone is a bit more refined, kind of slick. You may like this or not but while the vibrolux is kind of a one trick pony (plug and play if you want), the DV Mark can do a lot of tricks and has much more headroom if you want it to stay clean.
The bjr. held it's own very well btw, albeit it doesn't have the headroom of the bigger amps (you'd guess that)
Now taking the advanced features into the equation, the DV becomes even more versatile. The CPC helps to use power amp distortion at any level - you can adjust the ratio of poweramp - preamp with gain and master and set your output volume (or rather headroom) with the CPC. The attack also becomes softer when you dial in Class A territorium. It's a bit different than just using 3 volume controls so it took me a while to dial in what I wanted - at this point the DV40 is complex - yet it has to be to become that versatile.
I thought about the triode/pentode switch to be handy as a studio/stage switch. In triode mode (15 watts) the amp is softer and doesn't have the punch it can produce in pentode mode, so that will come in handy in the studio, at rehearsals or restaurant gigs when the waiters constantly give you the bad eye.
I didn't mess with the tubes as I didn't have the appropriate screw driver, no phillip screws but more modern format (will get one and try 6L6s).
I don't care for the distortion channel – I just don't care for distortion in general so I may be not be the best judge for that. It may come in handy if you just need that kind of sound. I tried a lovepedal tchula, a zendrive and a yoyo vintage overdrive (tube screamer clone) though and the amp could handle it well. The solo switch could also be handy if you want to get a bit more volume and overdrive from time to time.
Still I am a bit overwhelmed by the features – but once it's dialed in in channel one you can just use it like any traditional tube amp, set it clean or driven and control everything else from the guitar. It just has that multiple personality attitude so you can dial in a lot of different characters. In comparison the fenders make a clear statement ("I am the king of raw fender overdrive" (vibrolux) or "I am your little grab and go buddy" (bjr.) while the DV seems like a chameleon. The high tech features make it feel a bit like a modeller when dialing in (in fact the CPC makes little humming sounds when turned just like a lazer in a James Bond Feature) but it sounds and feels like a real good tube amp when you play it.

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Fabulous review nosuch!

I am practicing and gigging with my DV Mark a lot. While I can dial in Fender-ish sounds, I use an FET preamp on my board with a Diamond compressor - Clean anyone? SURE, and then some.

I essentially use Channel One exclusively. My mission for this amp purchase was LOUD CLEAN - I can procure dirt with pedals, and I am so not the metal guy (not that there is anything wrong with that)

I play pop, "new" country, blues and rock in a cover band here locally. I also study Jazz, and write my own instrumental music. Loopers, pedals, all good.

This amp is the real deal - "winged" 6L6's and new 12AX7's and my current guitar/pedal setup made this thing behave anywhere from a Fender Concert to a Vox AC30 (mind you - speaking in neighborhoods here). I read someone felt this amp sounds more like a Matchless - I have never played one, but I'll go there - very, very cool amp.

No use for the amp OD/distortion, but the 6dB foot switch is a cool option - really nice to have.

The real cool thing for a "fiddy" year old guy like me is the light weight and the self and auto biasing this amp does - change tubes? What do you want? 6L6, EL-34, 6V6 - You can use any of them. - No shop involved. Extremely cool.

I really like mine - it is a keeper for sure

Old June 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

thanks, I think I will debut mine on stage next thursday. We do jazz, soul, blues, singer/songwriter and I am pretty sure it suits just fine.

Old June 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the reviews Eddie and nosuch,
Let us know how it performs at a gig.
S
Shango66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Outdoor gig tonight - from Pink to Sugarland to Susan Tedeschi to The Cranberries to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - This is a great amp -

I am very happy. I ran the amp on Channel One at a full 40 watts on pentode mode, and used the presence knob can give you Fender/Mesa to Vox no troubles. Neodymium speakers sound great.

This is a killer sleeper guitarist amp - best little secret I have ever had - tone compliments a plenty.

I think I "found" what I've been looking for - for a long time.

:o)

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

So eventually my DV Mark got it's first gig and that went very well. I plugged in direct and set it for a bit of overdrive that I could dial out with the volume knob on my guitar. Gain on like 11 o'clock, Master at 2, worked like a charm. I dialed the sps down to like 9 o'clock to get the power amp distortion. Only for the last couple of songs, jazz tunes which needed a loud and clean tone I cranked it to like 3 o'clock and compensated by backing of the guitar volumens. I used my Partscaster with bardens which have a bit more output and more even eq than traditional tele pickups. Cleaning up from the guitar volume worked flawlessly. A couple of guys from the audience asked me about the amp later – they obviously liked the sound.
Our organ player brought his new leslie he had just aquired the drumset was acoustic- on stage our sound was transparent, not loud but powerful. We had a real nice playing experience and the audience reacted enthusiastic. Getting the power amp distortion at that level was a real nice experience - fuller than preamp distortion and much more dynamic than an overdrive pedal.

Old November 20th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have to add: I am starting to explore the distortion channel and it works great in a band setting. I didn't care for it when I tried it alone, because it looses some bass and anyway I don't dig distortion, but ...
My mates want me to dish out some distorted tones so I had to obey and thought I just try the channel. We played help the poor and surprise: The DV was able to put out a credible robben ford tone with my homemade tele. The tighter bass helped to get the sound focussed (while I had a rather jazzy and full tone on the normal channel) and with the boost between the channels (and the volume control in the guitar) I had four variations of tone ranging from clean to nice overdriven tones.