"Walked away from a MMB amp", story at 11. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum A special place for special amps - the forum for tube amp lovers and you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Had a whole drama in my mind unfold.

I was tempted by a Craigslist ad for a Fender Music Master Bass amp, having heard one before and liking it at moderate volume.
Apparently some have particle board cabs and some do not. When I finally saw the item in real life, it had a particle board cabinet and the power transformer looked very rusty (subsequently it was the 6v6 variety).
I couldn't in good conscious buy this amp for $275. Hated to say no after meeting, but couldn't do it.
I feel bad :(........yet glad!

*confliction*

andyfromdenver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

I saw that one on CL. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about taking a look.
alnicopu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sure!
The gas continues :)

Can someone who owns one confirm that the 6aq5 models have plywood cabs?
Just incase another pops up.
Thanks!

In my mind it could be a good low stage volume keyboard amp.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You will only find find cabs made or wood up to 72 or maybe early 73 on SF fenders AFAIK.

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Interesting.

Thanks!

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You were wise to walk IMHO - the particle board MMBs weigh a bunch - all 6ag5's and earlier 6v6's have the preferred lighter plywood cabinet.
Sidney Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Whacked away at an MMB

No particle board cabinet here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	171901   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	171902  

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing an MMB, either version.

The 6AQ5 version is wimpy, wimpy, wimpy and loaded with cheap parts. O.k. ... I can upgrade a lot of that stuff. I have an EL84 conversion for the early version. The 6V6s in the later version are o.k.. Either way the transformers are embarrassing. I imagine they would be o.k. in an old phonograph with a single 6AQ5. They're weak for a so-called "bass" amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrasonic View Post
You will only find find cabs made or wood up to 72 or maybe early 73 on SF fenders AFAIK.
I've seen quite a few late '70s Fenders "naked", no covering. The ones I've stripped were pine.

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ha!!

Cool :)

Muchxs, that MMB conversion looks sooo nice!

What a quirky little slice of Fender history.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You should have given him 225 and went home with it. They are good amps with loads of potential...mine is still stock and sounds good. Can't wait to get to some upgrades.

I paid 200 for mine and have been very happy.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If he would have accepted. $275 was my offer at $300. It seems maybe a $200 amp in the state it was/is in.
Still available I see too...

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

BTW, what's the problem with rusty transformers?
dporto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dporto View Post
No problem with rusty transformers in a Musicmaster Bass Amp. I'd yank 'em outta there the minute I got home.

The hassle with the MMB is it has 290v @ 70ma on the plates. Why oh why did they do that? Every other Fender "6V6" amp of the era has 400v plus on the plates.

I'll tell ya why they did that. They kept the same wimpy transformer from the 6AQ5 version. 6AQ5s work fine with 290v on the plates. Wimpy but fine.

350v on the plates and an Allen TO20 output transformer wake this thing right up.

Old March 26th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dporto View Post
Things I like and want to keep a while typically are stored in conditions suitable for living.
Storing your old amp in the cellar or attic under extremes deteriorates them. It just told me, "I'm not the one"...

Old March 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Regardless of what people say...I have a 6AQ5 version, and I think its sounds good...sounds better against a wall but

When I got it it had a celestion vintage 30 installed which is MUCH better than the original speaker.

This all being said, I think my amp has been modified before I purchased it, which may explain a lot
umasstele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I recently had an old harmony guitar posted for sale and a guy balked after the meeting and obviously felt bad about it. At the time I told him not to sweat it - he didn't know a lot about the guitars and obviously thought it was going to play like a more modern guitar (which it obviously doesn't)....my main issues were that I drove to meet him (sometimes unavoidable and part of the business) but also that he said in his email that he was "sure he'd take it unless there was any major issues with it" - to me this implied someone that had done the proper research on these guitars and wasn't going to reject it just because it had a fat neck and higher action. He said that I probably wouldn't like his offer and I said not to bother that I was firm on the price (I don't negotiate once I've left my house - if I'm coming to you then as far as I'm concerned, we've agreed on the price and you can take it or leave it).

All of that to say that as long as you're up front about your intentions and you had said you'd like to come check out the amp, or whatever, then it's fine. There's going to be ups and downs in these situations and hopefully it will just teach the seller to be a little more informative in his ads. In mine, I changed the wording to say something along the lines of 'plays nice, but is typical of the era/manufacturer' to try to set expectations.

I also don't see any problem with sending him another note saying something like "if you don't get any other takers and want to unload it for 200$ let me know" - there's no problem with lowballing on things like this as long as you're courteous and sensible when you offer. On the other hand, people who email me and just write 200$ in the email generally don't get replies from me.
losergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchxs View Post

I've seen quite a few late '70s Fenders "naked", no covering. The ones I've stripped were pine.
Don't know about '70s SFs, but did they bring pine back with the return of the BF look? I know all the so-called "Rivera-era" amps I've seen were pine. Mine (PRII) is stripped nekkid and beautiful!

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had one for awhile...I thought it sounded great with new speaker and tube swap.
The only issue is....I put in a large speaker....and it fell backwards....no weight...
lol
All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking its pretty damn complicated in the first place......"D.Adams"
uriah1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by losergeek View Post
I recently had an old harmony guitar posted for sale and a guy balked after the meeting and obviously felt bad about it. At the time I told him not to sweat it - he didn't know a lot about the guitars and obviously thought it was going to play like a more modern guitar (which it obviously doesn't)....my main issues were that I drove to meet him (sometimes unavoidable and part of the business) but also that he said in his email that he was "sure he'd take it unless there was any major issues with it" - to me this implied someone that had done the proper research on these guitars and wasn't going to reject it just because it had a fat neck and higher action. He said that I probably wouldn't like his offer and I said not to bother that I was firm on the price (I don't negotiate once I've left my house - if I'm coming to you then as far as I'm concerned, we've agreed on the price and you can take it or leave it).

All of that to say that as long as you're up front about your intentions and you had said you'd like to come check out the amp, or whatever, then it's fine. There's going to be ups and downs in these situations and hopefully it will just teach the seller to be a little more informative in his ads. In mine, I changed the wording to say something along the lines of 'plays nice, but is typical of the era/manufacturer' to try to set expectations.

I also don't see any problem with sending him another note saying something like "if you don't get any other takers and want to unload it for 200$ let me know" - there's no problem with lowballing on things like this as long as you're courteous and sensible when you offer. On the other hand, people who email me and just write 200$ in the email generally don't get replies from me.
Totally.
It helped the pain I felt (the pain...lol...) that we were meeting at a very convenient location between his work and heading home, but yeah, I was pretty serious about it until something just didn't click for the $ when I saw it in person.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have 2 and found another for a bandmate. All 6v6, all pine. We think they sound great after a speaker swap.
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote