The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum A special place for special amps - the forum for tube amp lovers and you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

speaker fit and rattling components within the chassis questions

a couple days ago i bought a 1960 gibson lancer ga-6. sounds good.

the amp still had the original jensen speaker, but it farted out pretty bad with low notes so today i replaced it with a warehouse reaper. the back of the reaper speaker is much wider than the original speaker though, and causes one of the tubes to be pushed over to the side slightly so that it's not straight. the tube is also touching the back of the speaker. this worries me. i feel like it might not be ok like this. anybody have any thoughts about this?

the amp has the original tubes still in it. rca raytheons.

also, the individual parts of the amp's head, within the chassis, are rattling in there when it's played through. is there a good, safe way to secure these parts so they're not rattling around?

2after909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

No matter how you slice it, that doesn't sound like a very good situation. I had a similar problem mounting a Weber 12 alnico in a 1342 Silvertone. I was able to drop the speaker mounting board down 12mm, and then the speaker cleared the components.
Tellebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't play it with the speaker like that, just because.
Rattling components need to be looked at. Change old electrolyitcs, push parts slightly away from each other so they aren't touching. As a last resort you could put a little silicon gel where its rattling, but I don't like doing that.
telex76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

yeah, i guess i shouldn't play it like this. i'll have to remove that speaker and either move it within the cabinet, so it's clear of the tube, or return it and swap it for one that will fit.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i guess i need to also figure out some way to anchor those parts down so they're not being vibrated around and making all that racket.