Gunpowder Finish Attempt.... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Gunpowder Finish Attempt....

Well, I couldn't wait til tomorrow. I practiced on a few pieces of scrap wood with some Calif approved granulated gunpowder. I don't like it much. But at least it shows you what can happen with gunpowder...what happens when you light it...etc.

I will be aquiring some real gunpowder next week. The powder kind. This should result in a much more controllable burn and result. As you can see in the video, the result was pretty splotchy, which I think happens because of the granules, and because they are like little flaming balls of joy when you light em and they start dancing around.

The true powder form will likely stick to the wood better and the end result will be more uniform.

Enjoy. I included a little narrative. I also did the burn in my fire pit...for safety and all, and wore goggles just for fun, because they had cool, yellow lenses.

My hands smell like 4th of July. That is all.

Mark V Guitars is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I dont have my headphones handy, but Im surprised more of the aluminum didnt melt.

I know I said it on the other thread, but this is a real bad idea.

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie View Post
I dont have my headphones handy, but Im surprised more of the aluminum didnt melt.

I know I said it on the other thread, but this is a real bad idea.
I appreciate the concern. I still have my left eyebrow.

I wore protection though...just to make that noted. Eye protection a must, one of those fire retardant head things and a fire extinguisher was nearby. Fortunately, the flash is over in a milisecond and limited to just that outdoor fire pit. You can never be too safe.

All safety measures aside, the experiment turned out pretty good. I think the process does need to be repeated 2 to three times until enough of the wood is singed. This may not be necessary if using regular powdered gunpowder.

I'm going to try and find some locally, but if not, I'll just make it.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

pretty cool. Please post again when you apply that finish to a guitar. I've been thinking about going through the same process on a pine body I have.
WisconsinStrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

you really need to use a fire blanket when messing around like that. your local welding supply will have one. be safe.
Brian Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Kinda lost track of this. It looks pretty neat. That's a pretty mild reaction compared to some my "experiments".
ItZaLLGooD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Cool effect. Seems a little dangerous, but still a cool effect
Bulldog87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I still gotta get me one of those 5lb containers of true Blackpowder. I tried to grind the stuff I got in my wife's coffee grinder, but it still aint the same. A side benefit...the coffee next morning had a little extra kick.

I'll be picking some up soon. And a fire blanket or whatver those things are called. Been busy earning bread.

Old November 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Been talking about doing this all week with a couple of my guitar building buddies, and it's going down today.

I'm going to practice with pine scraps, but my end goal is a fingerboard for my next lap steel, and possibly a pine tele body I've had just kicking around my shop for about a year.

I'll post results this weekend.

Old November 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not to post the obvious, but be safe and keep a fire extinguisher close by.
bob1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I still gotta get me one of those 5lb containers of true Blackpowder. I tried to grind the stuff I got in my wife's coffee grinder, but it still aint the same. A side benefit...the coffee next morning had a little extra kick.
Mike Simpson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

*post deleted*

Last edited by c.winn; November 10th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
c.winn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1234 View Post
Not to post the obvious, but be safe and keep a fire extinguisher close by.
Not obvious, and GREAT advice. We were careful. It never hurts to have a fire extinguisher within reach...ever.

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.winn View Post
Without seeming like a total hack, can I direct people to the East Side Strings Facebook page? It's just me & two buddies working on guitars, but I posted a bunch of pics & one fun video on that page today regarding gunpowder finishes.

We were safe - we're all too old to go to the emergency room with gunpowder burns!

We toasted a 4 piece pine body I picked up at a swap meet about a year ago for chump change. Came out great, I'll detail the procedure tomorrow once I figure out how to post pics & video. In the meantime, check out East Side Strings on Facebook. Don't go to the "friend" page - check out the "fan" page. Heck, if you can watch the videos without changing your "like" and "dislike" status, then all the better. We just happened to get a great video up there.
Sounds like a sales pitch.

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Last edited by c.winn; November 10th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Last edited by c.winn; November 10th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Last edited by c.winn; November 10th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure about Pyrodex, but please do not try to grind black powder in a coffee mill. Dangerous enough in a ceramic mortar and pestle, but BP is notoriously unstable. Personally, I wouldn't grind it or any of its substitutes in any manner, just buy it in the granulation size you need.

I know I sound like an old mother hen, but there's a reason DuPont is no longer in the business. Something like 3 black powder mills of theirs went up, and they WERE the most experienced producers in the US, but still had some unfortunate boo-boos.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Stratenstein View Post
Not sure about Pyrodex, but please do not try to grind black powder in a coffee mill. Dangerous enough in a ceramic mortar and pestle, but BP is notoriously unstable. Personally, I wouldn't grind it or any of its substitutes in any manner, just buy it in the granulation size you need.

I know I sound like an old mother hen, but there's a reason DuPont is no longer in the business. Something like 3 black powder mills of theirs went up, and they WERE the most experienced producers in the US, but still had some unfortunate boo-boos.
Thanks Rick. Appreciate the concern and advice. I ended up grabbing some of the actual powder version...so not more home grinding. Was inconsistent to say the least.

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I researched early shipping and recall a hardening process for wood was to mix graphite into black powder and hammer the powder to ignite it. They used what looked like bodywork dollies and heavy hammers. It results in a tiny explosion that forces some graphite into the wood. Each little crater is overlapped onto another like a machine-turned finish on metal.

I can't find a mention of it now. I think it was Chinese and grew out of fireworks production. The metal shavings and minerals they used to create colors in the fireworks also did stuff to the work benches, I think? I think they could do colors.
Buzzardeater is offline   Reply With Quote