Color Tone Touch Up Markers? Anyone use them on sand thrus? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Color Tone Touch Up Markers? Anyone use them on sand thrus?

Hi All,

I'm in the buffing and polishing stages on 2 Teles and I noticed I have some sand through in areas of my black coats, on my burst. Particularly in Neck pocket and on the bottom of the guitar. I do not have time to re-shoot the black and clear coats for these 2 small areas and was wondering if the Markers sold by Stew Mac actually work? ...and...Do they need clear coating after or are the ready to go once dry?

Also, is Stew Mac the only place I can get those type of markers? Anything like them in A/C Moore or Michaels that wouldn't react negatively with a Lacquer finish?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris S.
DrASATele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Anyone?.... Just trying to get to the end of this project. I wonder if furniture touch up pens would work? Same question though, would that need a lacquer clear coat once dry?

Chris S.

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If it watches really well use it then drop fill to slightly above level then sand smooth. It has worked for me too many times to count
av8theskies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I knew someone had tried it. Much appreciated!

Chris S.

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Av8theskies could you explain in a little more detail. I have some sand through showing in the black of a burst also, but the sanding has polished the wood. Would I need to "rough up" the area for the pen markers to adhere? The area is no larger than the nail of your little finger.

How did it turn out, DrASATele?

Cheers
Blubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm actually looking to give this a try tonight. I had a pickgard to make and headstock decals that got in the way. I will let you know the result as my sand thrus were wet sanding and buffing so I'm hoping there isn't much difference and I do not plan to rough the area up for fear of more sand through. Maybe I'll remember my camera and I'll post the photos.

Chris S.

Old November 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

If it is black..and the area is small...you may be surprised at what the different varieties of black permanent markers will do for you.

All black markers are not the same.

Even though they are "permanent" they can often be smeared around with a finger...especially a finger that has some forehead grease on it.

Sharpies and CA glue can be your friend.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Bucko, I had been wondering about that. I guess I should have known but I was worried about how see through it would be. I did a family crest on the back of one of the guitars with a few sharpies. Once it dried and I hit it with clear it looked good.
Although one marker had actually exploded and was leaking (found out as I was finishing up) so the black was not as strong as the others but lucky for me I used that marker on both sides of the crest in the same spots so it looks like it was meant to be that way.
The color differnce is in the horns on the bison. They are more purple-ish than black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	205321  

Chris S.

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Did more searching found a relic tread where Colt Knight talks about the Acrylic Markers and how they are similar to SW CAB Lacquer. Bought some a few hours ago and they work great for touch up.

Chris S.

Old November 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

O.k. Marker from A.C Moore work well but wipe off when I cleaned the guitar with naptha. So an answer to one question: Yes, Clear coat after.

Chris S.