Mary Kaye translucent over silver flake basecoat - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Mary Kaye translucent over silver flake basecoat

Will I get a white pearl? I don't have the ability to use compressors or anything like that. There's some model car paint out there that's a white pearl, cans are tiny, 3 oz. I've searched for a while but I haven't seen much else in the way of white pearl spray can options. At this point I'm just thinking of plain old white so that's an option too.

61fury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

No white pearl in the local auto parts store?

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There are codes for various shades of Pearl White auto paint here:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...=Pearl%20White
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Duplicolor has several white pearl/metallics. unfortunately they don't have an online color chart, but pretty much any auto parts store should have at least a couple of them in stock.

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

no that wont give you a pearl.

Mary Kaye is a semi opaque finish not a pearl. Mary Kaye finish tints with the color of the finish under it showing thru.
An irridescent pearl is mixed in with the base or clear and softens the color while slightly adding color under certain light conditions.

I agree with these guys, shop around the local automitive stores like pep boys and autozone etc. Nissan and GM/Cadillac used several pearl white paints
HardlyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

So far I see only hard whites in auto stores, the metallics show up as tans and golds. I know the Chrysler pearl is some kind of triple coat 500 dollar option. So there's something complicated about pearl I think, but I'll keep looking. Lots of auto part stores.

Old April 24th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Another option is seeing if a local auto body shop would paint it for me. Anyone have any experience with that?

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61fury View Post
Another option is seeing if a local auto body shop would paint it for me. Anyone have any experience with that?
I'd like to hear about that, too. I have a guitar that I painted with acrylic auto lacquer, and frankly it's not a very tough finish, so I'm considering having it "candy coated" some day....

Old May 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Some of the partscasters I made back in the 80s were painted in a local body shop. Cost about $100 back then, I think. Worked out great -- solid colors, pearl and iridescent finishes, whatever...

But the guy that painted them for us was really talented at painting cars. He also had a little experience with guitars. Not all auto body painters are created equally. So my advice is to choose wisely if you go that route.
Fortunately, I always keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency.
Dunkerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Duplicolor Clear Effects over any white will give you a pearl white. I played with a can awhile back and it works great. Not my cup-o-tea. I might be able to post a pic tomorrow.
justin72deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin72deluxe View Post
Duplicolor Clear Effects over any white will give you a pearl white. I played with a can awhile back and it works great. Not my cup-o-tea. I might be able to post a pic tomorrow.
Yes, please post some pics.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Sorry, been a bit busy. I'll probably have to wait until this weekend. I didn't find that scrap piece. I'll have to do another.

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That Duplicolor Clear Effects looks more multi color glittery than "pearl" to me, at least the crappy lid color is. Pearl has a shimmer plain white doesn't. I bought some Duplicolor Volkswagen "Candy White" I think it's just "white", no idea of why they call it candy, I mean candy isn't white, is it? I might return it, but then plain old white is what I'm settling on lately.
I'd love to see some real world pics of the Clear effects when you get the chance, thanks.

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

OK, I'm wrong again, just looked at our pearl Millenia in the sunlight, it does have color sparkles. Here's this Yamaha pearl again, at least I assume it's pearl. No telling without the right light. Then I realized I can google search on here for Duplicolor Clear Effects.
Either way, I like the sparkles, just might try the Clear Effects
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamahawhite.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	180582  

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The clear effects does have a glittery look on darker colors. Even red came out glittery looking, but for whatever reason when put over white it was definitely pearly.
Sorry I didn't get around to posting a pic. I've been so busy with work. I might shoot a test tonight if I find the time and post the pic.

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

www.paintwithpearl.com. These guys sell flakes and pearls that are excellent. Mix it in a Preval with some Deft and you are good to go. You can even shoot their flakes through a Preval if you thin it enough and take off the plastic screen on the Preval straw tip. Duplicolor is good stuff and easy to use, but their stuff is more of a metalic than a true pearl.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Okay, a real quick test shot. And I mean real quick shot on a test body I had laying around. Don't judge.
Anyway, if you can tell from a crummy cell pic. You can see the Pearl ever so slightly in the pic. It is much more noticeable in person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130514_182439.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	180599

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdplank View Post
www.paintwithpearl.com. These guys sell flakes and pearls that are excellent. Mix it in a Preval with some Deft and you are good to go. You can even shoot their flakes through a Preval if you thin it enough and take off the plastic screen on the Preval straw tip. Duplicolor is good stuff and easy to use, but their stuff is more of a metalic than a true pearl.
Using a preval would be my choice, but if going for cheap, duplicolor is the way to go. BTW, the pic doesn't really show Pearl. Its more sparkle, but in person it's pearl trust me. I've done real Pearl and flake paint jobs and it's Pearl without a doubt. Even when you buy automotive Pearl, a lot of times, depending on the type it looks a lot like flake before it's laid over a basecoat.

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'd consider Prevals, they're cheap enough but on the one video I saw on here it didn't seem to spray all that evenly. At least your pic doesn't look gaudy, subtle is better. I'm going to get a can, thank you for your input.

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No problem. I think you'll be happy. The preval takes a little getting used to. I really only use them for small flake instead of putting flake through my gun. Prevals are cheap, but the Pearl isn't super cheap. For what you're going for, I think the duplicolor will be your best bet.