I think I found a problem... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think I found a problem...

With a swamp ash tele I made a couple years ago. I was finishing with Behlen Qualalacq lacquer and ran out. I had some Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer, so I contacted their tech support to see if the two types were compatible. Their answer was yes, so I shot more lacquer, waited 6 weeks, wet sanded and polished. Looked great. I've kept this tele inside in the music room ever since. Picked it up to play it yesterday, and there are a number of cracks in the top coat that look like a split in glass. No spider web type splits, but one goes from half the top around one side and over half the back. There have been no extreme temperature changes inside the house.
Oh well, maybe I can tell myself I didn't like the color??? But I do. Or, I can have a somewhat 'reliced' telecaster.
I'm assuming it's a compatibility issue, but who knows.

bullfrogblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

This sounds like some "crazing". I had this happen when I piled acrylic lacquer on a guitar body WAY too quickly. The layers beneath the surface didn't have time to dry properly, and the layers on top dried very quickly. That was a recipe for some major cracking. This didn't happen immediately, though. I waited a few months for the lacquer to cure (it seemingly did), and then I sanded up to 2500, and polished. It was only a few weeks after that when the crazing appeared. It was very subtle at first, only visible in direct sunlight, and more pronounced over time. That wasn't the look I was going for, so I stripped the entire body, and refinished with nitro lacquer (Behlen's Stringed Instrument lacquer). It's been fine ever since.

www.hellecaster.com
PAcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm not exactly sure what 'crazing' is, but I don't think it's that. Nothing like an old finish where there are little spider web cracks everywhere. Just a few single perfectly straight line splits in the finish, one that wraps around 3/4 of the guitar.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

it is crazing but less extreme than the fine network seen in nitro
the expansion coefficient between body and lacquer is just enough to make a few splits in it - the higher the expansion coefficient the tighter the network of cracks will be - seen similar to your problem happen with em6000 but only ever on one guitar

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That exact thing is happening/happened to the P bass that I painted with acrylic lacquer and clear nitro top coat.

I think in my case, the nitro top coat dried harder than the acrylic underneath it and the wood expansion has caused just the clear coat to crack.

I have one crack all the way around each horn and a couple smaller ones along the edges. The bass is two years old, though. So it's been a gradual thing. The paint is all dinged, gouged up and a little melted (sat on a table cloth that reacted with the lacquer) anyways, so I don't really care about the cracks.
Thinlineggman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_picker View Post
it is crazing but less extreme than the fine network seen in nitro
the expansion coefficient between body and lacquer is just enough to make a few splits in it - the higher the expansion coefficient the tighter the network of cracks will be - seen similar to your problem happen with em6000 but only ever on one guitar
Both types of Behlen lacquer I sprayed are Nitro, so I'm not really understanding what you're saying.
The only conclusion I can make is there could be a compatibility issue between the two.