Spraying lacquer in the cold? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Spraying lacquer in the cold?

Its about 3 degrees celsius in Scotland right now and I know you shouldn't spray lacquer in the cold but what sort of temperature is warm enough? Im spraying nitro in an aerosol can and kinda eager to get going! I'll be doing it all in my garage with no heating etc. Do I need to wait for summer? Is there any way about it?

Cheers in advance!

hesleptonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Heat the lacquer (in warm water) Keep your neck/body whatever you are shooting at room temp, right up until you're ready to go.. You can even blast it with a hair dryer for a bit if you want, shoot it.. walk away from it.

Never had an issue shooting lacquer this way.
Informal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informal View Post
Heat the lacquer (in warm water) Keep your neck/body whatever you are shooting at room temp, right up until you're ready to go.. You can even blast it with a hair dryer for a bit if you want, shoot it.. walk away from it.

Never had an issue shooting lacquer this way.
Never thought of the hair dryer technique? It's worked for you? I could keep the neck that I'm shooting inside the house till I'm ready to go but I was worried that going from a warm house to a cold garage would cause condensation? Leaving the finish looking nasty? Or would I just need to keep the neck warm with the hair dryer? What about drying times?

Thanks!
hesleptonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If you're shooting lacquer, and your parts are warmed up, as well as your finish material.. you should be good.. DO NOT hit your finish AFTER with the blow dryer..trust me on that one.

Unless it's ridiculously cold (20 degrees or worse) in your garage, just leave it there to dry, if your finish material and project are warmed up a bit, your lacquer should dry pretty quick.

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
DO NOT hit your finish AFTER with the blow dryer..trust me on that one.
Double, double
Toil and trouble
Hair dryer blow
And lacquer bubble
Pawnshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
If you're shooting lacquer, and your parts are warmed up, as well as your finish material.. you should be good.. DO NOT hit your finish AFTER with the blow dryer..trust me on that one.

Unless it's ridiculously cold (20 degrees or worse) in your garage, just leave it there to dry, if your finish material and project are warmed up a bit, your lacquer should dry pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnshopper View Post
Double, double
Toil and trouble
Hair dryer blow
And lacquer bubble
+2

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnshopper View Post
Double, double
Toil and trouble
Hair dryer blow
And lacquer bubble

Old February 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-fi...o-outside.html

I just sprayed a neck with nitro. It was just one coat, but it worked out perfectly good. And it was about -8 degrees celcius in my garage :)

MichaelAa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I always try and keep my shop at 70Degrees F , but too cold worries me. You have to start worrying about pre-mature weather checking, and if its too cold, curing will take quite some time. I've sprayed in 40degree temps before, and been ok, I just don't like to if I don't have too . . . .

It you start spraying multiple coats in top of each other, BEFORE the coat before had time to dry, that's when you will start to run into solvent popping, which is a spin to deal with.

The heating the lacquer technique works great if you want lacquer to flow well, thin naturally, and not have ridiculous amounts of overspray. I just worry about spraying warm lacquer, into/onto cold environment. If you can be patient and wait til warmer months, I advise. Or, if you can just try and heat the area you will be spraying, with a small heater, it will help all the results tremendously.

Louis N.
LouisS is offline   Reply With Quote