Duplicolor metallic - ok to sand the color coat? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Duplicolor metallic - ok to sand the color coat?

I'm finally getting to finish a Jazzmaster body I've been working on for some time. I found a rattle can Duplicolor blue metallic, apparently a Honda color, that makes for a pretty reasonable faded ice blue metallic. I put down some color today, andwas on the verge of a nasty sag. I flipped the body sideways and clamped it to a shelf for a few minutes to let it dry a bit rather than risk a big run. This worked, but I picked up some specks of crud as a result. And unlike the Reranch nitroI have used in the past, apparently you can't just pick the specks out of acrylic lacquer.

As it looks like I will need to lightly sand the color coat, can I expect that I will need to lay down some more color? I'd really like to be able to finish this over the next day or 2 (good weather forecast. if I need to put on more color, I won't be able to get to clear before the weather gets too humid again.

I am much more about the color than the metallic flecks, FWIW.

waygorked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Go to reranch and read about shooting metallic. Very good pointers. Wish I would have read it before I started mine. Can't rush it ! If you sand it, you will not like the results. After it drys, build up two or three coats of clear coat and lightly sand the last one. Then spray the final clear coat. PS, If you have to sand the crud, reshoot the metallic
FingerMullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My experience with automotive paint tells me if you sand metalic paint you will have to recoat. You can colorsand it , But as far as a sag, You will raise the metalic giving you an uneven metalic.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would not suggest sanding the color coat, it won't turn out well
oramac7891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

No, I don`t think you should sand it. Btw, I just finished a guitar the other day, using a dupli color ice blue metallic-ish as well. But I shot some tinted nitro over it, so it`s more green now. Turned out pretty nice.
MichaelAa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I know! I saw yours, and it looks great!

So last night I did a touch up with my remaining color. I managed to get it all looking proper, when as a parting shot my last drop of paint decided to give me a small spatter on one of the horns.

Can I expect this to melt at all with the application of Duplicolor acrylic lacquer clear, or an I stuck with it?
waygorked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm not an expert with finishing by a long shot but I have been playing with Duplicolor metallics lately. I had to fix something in a color coat and sanded it and it looked horrible. I needed to spray a few light coats to get the flake to look good again.

Also I watched a bunch of duplicolor videos online and they seem to think it's fine to spray many coats a day with just 15 minutes or so between them. So when I resprayed the headstock after a decal disaster required me to sand it clean again I sprayed primer, color and clear on the same day and it looks great and is hardening nicely.
Peltogyne is online now   Reply With Quote