Seagrave Vinyl Sealer and Seagrave Nitrocellulose Spraying Lacquer? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Seagrave Vinyl Sealer and Seagrave Nitrocellulose Spraying Lacquer?

I would like to know the working temps (outside) for Seagrave Vinyl Sealer and Seagrave Nitrocellulose Spraying Lacquer? As I am eager to start my Tele build.

Also would like to know how many coats of Seagrave Vinyl Sealer and curing time is required before sanding?

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Seagrave is supposed to be duplicating the McFadden formula . You should be able to sand the sealer the next day , if I recall correctly . Use a light scratching with 150 , max , unless you have runs .
Two coats should be enough and only sand after coat one . Just enough to rough it for a good mechanical bond for coat two . Apply coat two and then spray your first nitro coat while still tacky , within one hour or less . This helps to provide a good chemical bond between sealer and clear coat . Yes , it is coming back to me now .
Wood prep is the key . If your wood is prepped well , spraying and the rest is made simple . Never attempt to cover bad/poor prep with spray .
Three coats of clear should be enough if you are good . I have seen it done !
By the way , if you have done a good job with prep , sealer and clear , you will only need to buff and not sand the clear .
Good luck and post some pics when completed .
Sorry , temp best between 55-65 with 50% relative humidity .
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
Seagrave is supposed to be duplicating the McFadden formula . You should be able to sand the sealer the next day , if I recall correctly . Use a light scratching with 150 , max , unless you have runs .
Two coats should be enough and only sand after coat one . Just enough to rough it for a good mechanical bond for coat two . Apply coat two and then spray your first nitro coat while still tacky , within one hour or less . This helps to provide a good chemical bond between sealer and clear coat . Yes , it is coming back to me now .
Wood prep is the key . If your wood is prepped well , spraying and the rest is made simple . Never attempt to cover bad/poor prep with spray .
Three coats of clear should be enough if you are good . I have seen it done !
By the way , if you have done a good job with prep , sealer and clear , you will only need to buff and not sand the clear .
Good luck and post some pics when completed .
Sorry , temp best between 55-65 with 50% relative humidity .
Still a little to cold out, to shoot in the garage?

Its only in the 40's and nights get into the 20's around these parts, humidity is non-existent around here.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Does Seagrave Nitrocellulose Spraying Lacquer require thinning?

If so, how much Seagrave Nitrocellulose Lacquer Thinner to Nitro do I need to mix-up at what ratio?

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thinning is advisable . I will ask Dale . He is the man that instructed me and would know since he ran the finishing department at Martin for more than a few years before retiring . He never did compile the mixture schedules and whatnot that he promised , so I will bug him about it .
You could always contact Seagrave about what they recommend . The worst they can say is no and I doubt that they will since that would be bad PR for customers .
I will get back with you after the weekend unless someone else wants to chime in on this .

Old January 20th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
Thinning is advisable . I will ask Dale . He is the man that instructed me and would know since he ran the finishing department at Martin for more than a few years before retiring . He never did compile the mixture schedules and whatnot that he promised , so I will bug him about it .
You could always contact Seagrave about what they recommend . The worst they can say is no and I doubt that they will since that would be bad PR for customers .
I will get back with you after the weekend unless someone else wants to chime in on this .
I will be looking forward to this.

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thin it

Simply put, just go ahead and thin it. If your ready to spray material is thicker than water....thin it and use good quality thinner to do it. I have yet to see a true "ready to spray" lacquer when using shop spray equipment like most of us have. Get yourself some wet sanding papers and a good rubber block/pad too. Your gonna need them.
I dont know anyone that worked for a famous guitar company but I have painted guitars totalling somewhere in the three digits over the years.
Good luck on your project,
Rob

Last edited by Rhomco Guitars; January 21st, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Rhomco Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Still unsure of mixing ratio for Nitro to Thinner, also would like to know if Vinal Sealer requires thinning to, if so at what ratio?

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I usually do a 1:3 washcoat of lacquer/thinner. Sealer and build coats 50/50 and the final coat after leveling is 1:4. No set rules, whatever works for you. Alot of product come at spray viscosity and they dont recommend thinning but I find you get a smoother finish if you do.

Some info
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Nitrocellulose.htm
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I knew that some more experienced with spraying would add in . I will say that Dale simply knows how to thin what he is spraying and has no need to measure . I am not that knowledgeable or experienced and am grateful for having access to a man with his skills .

Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I usually do a 1:3 washcoat of lacquer/thinner. Sealer and build coats 50/50 and the final coat after leveling is 1:4. No set rules, whatever works for you. Alot of product come at spray viscosity and they dont recommend thinning but I find you get a smoother finish if you do.

Some info
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Nitrocellulose.htm
Thanks for the link. Just waiting for nicer weather.