The worst relics - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

The worst relics

Let's see the worst relics you have seen. The guitars that don't look even vaguely as though they have worn into relics over a period of years - but more like they have been dragged along a dirt road behind a truck!

I'll start it off with this one - the first nomination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Relic...83786576062713

According to the owner it looks "like a worn in Strat". Does it?

stratman323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That guitar is creepy. Headstock is actually not bad,,,, but the body?????? Wow. It looks like something I wouldn't even poke with a stick, much less touch!
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

How about the Fender Joe Strummer Tele?
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickM View Post
How about the Fender Joe Strummer Tele?
Well some of the Road Worns ain't brilliant! But we'd better not go there or the thread will go off at a tangent....

Old December 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The best part is the back of the neck. It looks like he masked off the neck and only reliced between the 3rd and the 12th fret? Actually, what it really looks like is just a pass of the desaturation brush in photoshop.. Body wear isn't too bad, though, it looks believable--that is, believable that it did double duty as a shovel.
Kirivon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not even going to post in this thread.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

"I'm not even going to post in this thread." To quote ricky from trailer park boys "you just did you f***ing idiot!" No offense by the way
Jimmy Row is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I had an old Japanese SG copy in the late 80s that now, thinking back, had a really nice level of natural use relicking.

I refinished it. By now it would look like something you'd catch tetanus off.

That's my "relic guide": if it makes you feel you need to wash your hands after playing ... it's over relicked.

Old December 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The typical problem is wear in illogical places - and Fender's Roadworn series is a prime example. Much of the wear simply makes no sense.

I prefer seeing a customer play or getting video or pictures so I can see wear he "wears" the guitar and how he plays. For those who never touch the tone control on a Tele - no wear at the back of the control plate (and visa-versa). Arm wear is always dependent on the players size, girth and how high/low he wears the guitar. Wear on the front of the lower bout near the strap peg makes no sense - players rarely lean guitars strings-down on an amp. Another - wear marks under the pickguard of an otherwise stock guitar is plain dumb - lacquer crazing, dirt and color shift yes - but wear marks???

Also I HATE buckle rash unless specifically requested. Almost everyone I know turns their buckle to the side or wears something that covers the buckle.

These are just a few little details I look for.

Old December 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JD View Post
I had an old Japanese SG copy in the late 80s that now, thinking back, had a really nice level of natural use relicking.
A Tokai?

Old December 20th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There was this relic some time ago called 'Ted'. Can't find it now, but it was horrible, complete with charred burn marks and holes drilled in the headstock.

Old December 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My thought about reliquing is that the creator should think in terms of a stiletto, not a club. Be subtle...like cooking with garlic.
blindrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Row View Post
"I'm not even going to post in this thread." To quote ricky from trailer park boys "you just did you f***ing idiot!" No offense by the way
I knew my wife posted on this forum.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 04:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Over ten years ago, I wandered into Guitar Center and they had a few of what they then called "closet classics"; reliced strats that were absolutely superb. One would have a tough time at first glance, dare I say even close inspection, that these were anything but old, worn guitars.

Fast forward to last year, and I wander into Guitar Center again, and they have some line of "road worn" series (or something like that) of telecasters, and they are all cookie-cutter relic jobs, the scratches are even in the exact same places from one guitar to the next! Terrible job, fake as all hell, almost appeared as if there was a "photograph" paper laminate affixed to every guitar. The clear coating was a strange, semi-gloss that was slightly yellowed. It was almost as if Wal-mart had contracted some Taiwan firm to relic guitars for the masses.
ltdave32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave32 View Post
Over ten years ago, I wandered into Guitar Center and they had a few of what they then called "closet classics"; reliced strats that were absolutely superb. One would have a tough time at first glance, dare I say even close inspection, that these were anything but old, worn guitars.

Fast forward to last year, and I wander into Guitar Center again, and they have some line of "road worn" series (or something like that) of telecasters, and they are all cookie-cutter relic jobs, the scratches are even in the exact same places from one guitar to the next! Terrible job, fake as all hell, almost appeared as if there was a "photograph" paper laminate affixed to every guitar. The clear coating was a strange, semi-gloss that was slightly yellowed. It was almost as if Wal-mart had contracted some Taiwan firm to relic guitars for the masses.
that's a fantastic description of the way the road worn relics look. Do you remember "photo flame" when some guitar companies were attaching photographic images of flamed wood grain onto guitar bodies? It would be funny as hell to have "photo worn" guitars.
blindrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindrobert View Post
that's a fantastic description of the way the road worn relics look. Do you remember "photo flame" when some guitar companies were attaching photographic images of flamed wood grain onto guitar bodies? It would be funny as hell to have "photo worn" guitars.
Yes, yes! That's exactly what I mean. "photo flame" meets "photo relic".

A waste of time without purpose, IMO.

But the guitars (three) that I saw more than ten years ago were fantastic in their realism for what they were trying to achieve. They look every bit as aged as my best buddy's '61 strat and beat-up '68 tele.

-if that's one's cup o' tea. Personally, I find such relicing somewhat dishonest, as if someone's trying to say "hey, look at my old guitar; oh, the miles it's seen and the stories it could tell.." when reality is, -it's not old.

But if someone's going for a "look" like that, they should do it right. I can spot the BS of the current "road worn" series across the room.
ltdave32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave32

Yes, yes! That's exactly what I mean. "photo flame" meets "photo relic".

A waste of time without purpose, IMO.

But the guitars (three) that I saw more than ten years ago were fantastic in their realism for what they were trying to achieve. They look every bit as aged as my best buddy's '61 strat and beat-up '68 tele.

-if that's one's cup o' tea. Personally, I find such relicing somewhat dishonest, as if someone's trying to say "hey, look at my old guitar; oh, the miles it's seen and the stories it could tell.." when reality is, -it's not old.

But if someone's going for a "look" like that, they should do it right. I can spot the BS of the current "road worn" series across the room.
I think ESP does a photo relic.
Mightyaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"Let's see the worst relics you have seen"

All of em.
mlove3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave32 View Post

If you mean the Fender Custom Shop Closet Classics, they weren't relics. The finish was aged but they hadn't been relicked. It was the best finish they did, & I don't know why they stopped making them.

The Road Worn range are much cheaper guitars, made in Mexico, with poly finished necks. The relicking work was to a much lower standard than the Custom Shop range, which isn't surprising as they were about a third of the price.

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlove3 View Post
"Let's see the worst relics you have seen"

All of em.
Probably the wrong thread for you my friend.