Another!..olympic white question? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Another!..olympic white question?

Yeah I know! Here comes another question about Leo Fender's idea to not top coat the Oly.wht. with clear so as not to yellow,(which IMO looks great when aged). Seeing how they just shot those 60's strats and tele's with the oly.wht.,what was under the finish?,just simple clear sealer coat?,a wht.primer?,shellac?,or did they go right at the wood directly with quite a few coats depending on if the body was alder w/no grainfill or ash w/grainfill?
Also it appears those 62 strat reissues in oly.wht. from the custom shop look yellow'd a bit...maybe a visit to the eye doctor is in order lol.
Happy Holidaze...All!!!

Teleiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I couldn't get much of an answer on my oly white questions, save for one fellow. Good luck, and I'll be watching..
ltdave32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't worry!..we'll get to the bottom of it someday,But until then..."Build it how you want to..IMO
Besides it's just white..Right?. Go with arctic wht. from Bill@RR and give it a mist coat of tinted clear over the top. There ya go instant aged wht. Good luck!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Check here:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

Go about 1/4-1/3 of the page down to "Fender Primer Undercoats and Sunburst Undercoats"
MRJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanx's for that reference page,but on a related topic: Back in the day when fender was shooting these oly.wht. strats & tele's with or without sealers or undercoat primers what would be the general opinion of the number of coats sprayed?
Was it fairly thick to protect from possible sand-thru's? I'm building a replica of a 61 Olympic white strat,rosewood board,greenguard, and would like to paint it straight onto the body w/o undercoat (maybe a shellac sealer). So would a rattlecan of Reranch oly.wht. be enough coverage? or should I consider a non-yellowing nitro top coat?...thanx's

Old December 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you use a white sealer/primer like BIN, one can of RR is enough. You need a sanding sealer first to get the surface smooth and level for the color coat.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey i'm back with an update on the reranch oly. wht. i just sprayed on my 2pc.alder strat body from usacg. I gotta say i'm not able to wrap my eyes or head around that blue and grayish tint it gives off,i got the greenguard and layed it up on top and it just spoke to me and said:"Hey man! where's the white?..sooo! i'm adding some RR. arctic white and ahhh! now thats what i'm talkin bout...just real white,besides the fact that fender did'nt clear coat their 60's oly.wht. strats does'nt mean i can't age this arctic white a little. Would'nt you guys agree?...or does a non-yellowing nitro sprayed over the top bring out that true oly. wht somehow?
Were every single 60's strats in olympic white not clear coated,seems some may have slipped thru the cracks??
If santa would just leave an original "61" oly.wht. strat under the tree i'd let all this chit-chat goooooo!

Dear Santa...i've been really good..no really i have!

Old December 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleiac View Post
Hey i'm back with an update on the reranch oly. wht. i just sprayed on my 2pc.alder strat body from usacg. I gotta say i'm not able to wrap my eyes or head around that blue and grayish tint it gives off,i got the greenguard and layed it up on top and it just spoke to me and said:"Hey man! where's the white?..sooo! i'm adding some RR. arctic white and ahhh! now thats what i'm talkin bout...just real white,besides the fact that fender did'nt clear coat their 60's oly.wht. strats does'nt mean i can't age this arctic white a little. Would'nt you guys agree?...or does a non-yellowing nitro sprayed over the top bring out that true oly. wht somehow?
I had kind of the same experience with Reranch Olympic White. A year ago or so, I sprayed the "old" version of Oly White on a stripped MIM Strat body and found it too greenish, almost a duck egg, to me.

It wasn't gonna work with a mint guard, so I sprayed over with Reranch Arctic White. I also didn't put much of a clear nitro topcoat, so most of it probably got removed during the wet sanding process.

I understand that Bill has recently changed the Reranch Oly White formula based upon negative comments and it is different now. (But I think a bluish tint in the white is period correct.)

Arctic White doesn't seem as bright as Olympic, but it seems a more pure white, IMO.

I spent most of my money on women and beer...the rest I just wasted.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yup!..i'm with ya on that.This can of oly.wht. from Bill@RR is what i believed to be the new oly.wht. but that does not appear to be the case. So i'm going with the arctic wht. w/some tinted clear misted on ever so gently and see what she looks like.When you have done this color before and without a clear coat finish,how many coats on avg. have you used and did you wetsand or try a rubout by hand?...i know thats not the right approach for sprayed finishes,but maybe it's a little more sand-thru friendly...thanxs for some help!!

Old December 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleiac View Post
Yup!..i'm with ya on that.This can of oly.wht. from Bill@RR is what i believed to be the new oly.wht. but that does not appear to be the case. So i'm going with the arctic wht. w/some tinted clear misted on ever so gently and see what she looks like.When you have done this color before and without a clear coat finish,how many coats on avg. have you used and did you wetsand or try a rubout by hand?...i know thats not the right approach for sprayed finishes,but maybe it's a little more sand-thru friendly...thanxs for some help!!
When you tested your oly white, how did you apply the test sprays...on what and did you apply anything before?

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The test piece of scrap was alder or cedar and I just sprayed it without a primer,I will say the difference was noticeable but slight. So I took a run at the body which already had a shellac sealer applied and shot the oly.wht. and was not happy with that blue/green/gray tint that it gave off.
Next was a coat of RR."arctic wht." and magic!..it's wht..so I guess one of biggest question's about Oly.wht. is: why are these original 60's strat's in oly.wht. appearing to be very wht.? I don't see that blue/green thing in pics of the old ones. Maybe "arctic wht." is the new "Olympic wht"...well it probably will be for me. I do relic/replicas and I like my colors to have some clear or tinted nitro over the top,it just relics better and has a nicer feel to it.
I'll try and put a pic. or two up of this project when I get to the done and ready to age stage.
Anyone know if Leo..(r.i.p.) sprayed any of those oly.wht. strat's in the 60's with clear nitro?.....thanxs

Happy Holidaze!

Old December 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Oh yeah,here's a footnote to all of this:
1. Buying rattlecans for $16.00 +shipping is not economical fore most!
2. Putting some good $$'s into your own spray rig is the smartest move for any builder or finisher.
3. Better control over application of the product.
4. No offense to anyone at RR....!
J.M.O.

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you lay down some white primer first, you won't get the color of the wood bleeding through and giving you a green tint. Problem is, you essentially mixed the bluish tint in the oly white with the yellow/browns of the body and made green.

There isn't anything wrong with Bill's formula, in my opinion.

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Is oly white or arctic white that looks like vanilla (yellowish) pudding for Fender guitar color. I always get them mixed up. I have an 80's MIJ Fender strat here the vanilla (yellowish) pudding color.

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling56 View Post
Is oly white or arctic white that looks like vanilla (yellowish) pudding for Fender guitar color. I always get them mixed up. I have an 80's MIJ Fender strat here the vanilla (yellowish) pudding color.
MRJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So then that arctic wht.that I sprayed to cover the oly.wht. because of my displeasure with it's tint and color is no different than spraying the oly.wht.with an adequate primer undercoat? I approached that whole idea tonight and it does seem some what better. My thing is how can I avoid a possible sand-thru without some layers of clear nitro over the oly.wht.? I tend to be a wet sander with a little bit of a heavy hand,so I'd like to avoid the strip and redo process and I'd like to know if any of those early oly.wht.strats were clear coated of left alone with just the oly.wht.?
We'll see what the results are when I finish the finish.