Removing checking on a vintage guitar?!?! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Removing checking on a vintage guitar?!?!

First off I am a pro painter and actually specialize in lacquer work but this is a new one on me.

I do a lot of guitar refinishing and a guy contacted me with a 1966 Goya (sp?) Hollow body. Its in great condition minus a headstock chip and the usual checking. He wants the checking cracks gone and wants me to sand it level and overspray with a new coat of lacquer.

I'm VERY hesitant to do this as its so clean but that's what he wants. I was wondering if I could use blush eraser to get rid of checking on old lacquer or maybe some sort of mixture of retarder and solvent.

I'm trying to think of any way to get out of applying more lacquer to this guitar.

I'm more accustomed to stripping and starting over or repairing chips so repairing something natural like checking seems silly. I thank you for any ideas.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Considering what people are willing to pay for checking (authentic or relic'd), this is beyond me.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

What you describe should work.

I think.

Remember, this is free advice.

Are you sure, really sure, the finish is lacquer?

Wouldn't that loose, sloppy, dissolved "lacquer" have a desire to slough right off the body?

Would you customer be cool with you if the process went wrong?

Could you "paint" the rebonder into the cracks to get them to melt together?

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If it were a collectable guitar I wouldn't do it at all, but I don't believe there is any great value in an old Goya. Someone else may know something I don't about them, but they were not all that great a guitar to begin with.

Back in the 1970s there were a few guys who were using I believe a combination of solvent and heat to soften finishes to let them liquify and blend together to remove checking, but the technique fell out of favor. I am not sure why, but there is probably a good reason not to do it.

I saw a 1920's era Martin done this way and it looked and sounded very good. In fact, I almost bought it, but it was slightly out of my price range at the time.
Jack S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It was his dads guitar. Its very cool looking but I don't know about value. I just told him find someone else because I don't want to ruin the finish on his dads old guitar and him turn it back on me.

I figure my reputation is more important than getting a job.

I may have to do some lacquer samples and try to see if I can reflow the check marks out with the ideas mentioned. Just for curiosity sake.

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Those cracks probably have years of dirts/debris worked into them. Imagine a crack in the concrete. Dirt gets in there, and weeds grow.

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, you might want to either pass or talk him into a complete refinish.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah. I passed on it.
Thanks for the input guys :-)

Old June 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Intervention !

I firmly believe that an intervention is justified in this case. The owner of the guitar should be surrounded by a few concerned TDPRI members, future heirs (that might later inherit the guitar) and Jillian Michaels from "The Biggest Loser".

At that point the owner should be subjected to six straight hours of Antiques Roadshow viewing followed by a recorded lecture from George Gruhn and Dan Erlewine. At that point, a few pictures of Eddy Van Halen's Red/Black/White Stratocaster should drive the point home.

You did the right thing by saying "NO".

Lost_N_Austin

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_N_Austin View Post
I firmly believe that an intervention is justified in this case. The owner of the guitar should be surrounded by a few concerned TDPRI members, future heirs (that might later inherit the guitar) and Jillian Michaels from "The Biggest Loser".

At that point the owner should be subjected to six straight hours of Antiques Roadshow viewing followed by a recorded lecture from George Gruhn and Dan Erlewine. At that point, a few pictures of Eddy Van Halen's Red/Black/White Stratocaster should drive the point home.

You did the right thing by saying "NO".

Lost_N_Austin
A year or so ago, a guy I work with asked me to refinish his vintage Les Paul. He told me the white paint had turned yellow and the finish had cracks.

I told him I would kick his @$$ if he refinished that guitar.

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Let me get this right . You're a pro that specializes in lacquer work and you are asking these questions .
A lacquer spray job on an acoustic a very thin . Nothing like what I have seen here . My 00 is two coats of clear on the top and three everywhere else , not nine , more or whatever .
Point being that if it is a quality finish on an acoustic , once you have sanded level , you haven't far to go until you are through the clear . Unless you are sure of what chemicals you are working with there is no way to be sure of compatibility with what you are spraying .
I am curious as to what you would charge for a complete refinishing on the guitar in question .
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Sorry guys, hafta ask... I work solely with lacquer, doesn't it have a 100% burn in? Meaning by simply spraying new lacquer on it the existing stuff should mostly re-liquify and get rid of the checking? I've never done this before, but the theory is correct, right?
geetarfreek82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarfreek82 View Post
Sorry guys, hafta ask... I work solely with lacquer, doesn't it have a 100% burn in? Meaning by simply spraying new lacquer on it the existing stuff should mostly re-liquify and get rid of the checking? I've never done this before, but the theory is correct, right?
As long as it doesn't have any crud caught in there.