How to Strip a Poly Neck, Maple Fretboard - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

How to Strip a Poly Neck, Maple Fretboard

Do anyone have a guide or link to stripping a maple neck? I was going to sand the neck, but what about the fretboard and headstock? I feel a heat gun could damage the frets and neck. Just use a square sanding tool? I would probably be stripping a factory finish neck.

Thanks

strat_tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

NO! Don't try to sand the finish, and a heat gun is a horrible idea on a neck.

You'll want to use a good chemical stripper. Between the frets, use a sharp razor or knife blade to scrape, not sand.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have used every

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
NO! Don't try to sand the finish, and a heat gun is a horrible idea on a neck.

You'll want to use a good chemical stripper. Between the frets, use a sharp razor or knife blade to scrape, not sand.
Chemical availabe to the man on the street and never (never) found one that will strip the Polyester Sealer that is used under the Polyurethane top coat. This includes Aircraft Stripper from the auto stores and the over hyped Citrus Strip as well as evrything Home Depot/Lowes sells. I firmly believe that nothing short of 60/80 grit sandpaper will get you to the wood. Many claim to have success with chemical strippers but I will wager they did not try to stain over the stripped finishes.
Rob

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Be careful if your fret marker dots are plastic, some chemical strippers will melt these, don't ask how I know
scojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomco Guitars View Post
Chemical availabe to the man on the street and never (never) found one that will strip the Polyester Sealer that is used under the Polyurethane top coat. This includes Aircraft Stripper from the auto stores and the over hyped Citrus Strip as well as evrything Home Depot/Lowes sells. I firmly believe that nothing short of 60/80 grit sandpaper will get you to the wood. Many claim to have success with chemical strippers but I will wager they did not try to stain over the stripped finishes.
Rob
This is why I make my stuff from scrap, I hate refinishing.

Old December 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomco Guitars View Post
Rob
This is why I make my stuff from scratch, I hate refinishing.

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a detailed write up of how I strip poly off of Fender Maple necks in my 59 Tele build. With the right stuff it's not hard and only takes about an hour. The fret markers do get a little soft, but once the stripper is neutralized you can easily scrap and sand any distortions. Here it is.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...-mrench01.html

Enjoy. Be warned, there are a ton of photos!

Mike R
mrench01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hi, Tony B. here. I am joining this almost a year later but wanted to just put my own experience in. IO bought a rosewood fret board Rondo Music Douglas Tele copy and dd a bunch of upgrades. Anyway, I had re-cut the head stock to match tele which now required snading, stripping this neck. I believe the one gentleman right that whatever sealer they use if any under that poly goes deep like all hell. I chemical stripped this thing three times as well as used my Ryobi orbital sander in not only the re-shaping, but with 100 grit sandpaper,, I was SURE I was at bare wood. the Minwax age old formula stain still had a huge difficulty penetrating that neck. It did finally take, but I needed a little more age and applied a extremely blackish stain from Minwax called jacobean that nicely brought out the deeper grains in the neck. Finished with very thin coats of clear shellac. this all would have been a way easier deal had that neck stripped way easier. There has got to be a better solution to get back to real wood without resorting to removing so much with 80 grit.
tonybvw528 is offline   Reply With Quote