How do I paint designs onto the body? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

How do I paint designs onto the body?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be the best method to paint this sort of design onto a guitar body
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	58079

would i tape off the areas of one color, apply that coat, then let it dry then repeat the process for all the other areas?

what kind of stencil would be best to use in this case? tape? paper?

also, what would be the best way to have the design appear like this with a clear pickguard, without having the rout holes show through? would i have to paint the pickguard itself, then use a clear lacquer on it? or paint the underside of the pickguard? or maybe apply some sort of laminate top to the body?

any info is greatly appreciated
Cheers!

joel_ostrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would paint it white and do it in color layers. White then red, and then do the blue.

An overhead projector if you can get your hands on one would be very helpful
twangplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Here's a web site you might find helpful: http://paintyourownguitar.com/. PYOG sells masks and full body decals.
Bud Veazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_ostrom View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be the best method to paint this sort of design onto a guitar body
Attachment 58079

would i tape off the areas of one color, apply that coat, then let it dry then repeat the process for all the other areas? You want to start with a base coat color, then mask off the biggest stripe, paint, allow to dry, then mask off the smallest stripe and paint. Then clear coat the entire thing.

what kind of stencil would be best to use in this case? tape? paper? Automotive masking tape, and newspaper. First apply the masking tape so that it accurately follows the line and angles, then just tape the newspaper to the masking tape so you don't have to use three rolls of masking tape till the voids.

also, what would be the best way to have the design appear like this with a clear pickguard, without having the rout holes show through? would i have to paint the pickguard itself, then use a clear lacquer on it? or paint the underside of the pickguard? or maybe apply some sort of laminate top to the body? You would use a clear pickguard. If you didn't want to see the pickup routes, you would feather some paint on the underside of the guard around the hole so that it blends in with the body, and doesn't wear off with the pick.

any info is greatly appreciated
Cheers!
However, I would avoid the pickguard, and use pickup mounting rings instead, or you could route the pickup cavities from the rear, and install rear cavity covers, and paint them like you would the bare body.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by twangplank View Post
I would paint it white and do it in color layers. White then red, and then do the blue.

An overhead projector if you can get your hands on one would be very helpful
+1 on this. Light to dark is how I've been taught too. You could use tape, but then you risk leaving a residue on the paint. I would go to your nearest hobby/art store and get a large roll of mylar and an x-acto knife. That's the best stuff to cut your own stencils from. One stencil for each color. Whatever you do; experiment on cardboard or newsprint first and shoot dry for the first coat.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmezz View Post
+1 on this. Light to dark is how I've been taught too. You could use tape, but then you risk leaving a residue on the paint. I would go to your nearest hobby/art store and get a large roll of mylar and an x-acto knife. That's the best stuff to cut your own stencils from. One stencil for each color. Whatever you do; experiment on cardboard or newsprint first and shoot dry for the first coat.
Automotive masking tape is specifically designed for this purpose.

Old September 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Automotive masking tape is specifically designed for this purpose.
Go with that then. I've only worked with painters tape and packaging tape (screen printing). Straight edges are key for that design so tape would work better.

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

3M #218 masking tape is very good for this. Another option is masking frisket. Thin mylar w/ adhesive on one side. Very good for intricate designs. I used it back when I played around w/ airbrushing.
Example: http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...-frisket-film/
treadwm is offline   Reply With Quote