Removing Light Haze in Nitro Topcoat??? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Removing Light Haze in Nitro Topcoat???

Although the Weather Channel said it was 78F with 44% humidity, when I applied the final clear gloss reranch nitro topcoat to my BSB swamp ash Tele body today, it developed a light milky haze in a few places. (I managed to get 10 previous coats on without hazing).

Now what? I hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it made about 20% of the hazing / haze go away. Is this haze in the topcoat only? Does the effect penetrate layers of nitro underneath? How do I make it go away? Polishing compound? (Hopefully not more nitro)

rob5755 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Blush remover

That's what lacquer blush remover is for. Reranch sells it. You may also be able to get some at Lowe's or your local woodworking store.

Good luck.

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5755 View Post
Although the Weather Channel said it was 78F with 44% humidity, when I applied the final clear gloss reranch nitro topcoat to my BSB swamp ash Tele body today, it developed a light milky haze in a few places. (I managed to get 10 previous coats on without hazing).

Now what? I hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it made about 20% of the hazing / haze go away. Is this haze in the topcoat only? Does the effect penetrate layers of nitro underneath? How do I make it go away? Polishing compound? (Hopefully not more nitro)
First - That hairdryer thing was an awful idea. I am amazed you didn't blister the finish to the point or having to strip and refinish.

Second- Blush eliminator will take that out pretty easily. I doubt Lowes will have any, but most wood working stores and sites carry it.

Third - That haze is moisture caught between the coats of lacquer, the lacquer blends into one coat as it is sprayed, and the solvents begin to evaporate from the outside - in. Which means the outside gets harder first, and traps the moisture inside causing the blush. A lot of folks use Retarder in their lacquer to slow the solvent evaporating process allowing the moisture to come out before the outside shell gets hard. Some folks will spray lacquer thinner directly after their clear coats to essentially do the same thing. Blush eliminator works in the same manor, just after the fact.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Just shoot another wet coat of clear on it and it will disappear. The lacquer will melt the layer with the moisture trapped in it and release it. No need for blush remover. Just make sure you do it on a day with low humidity.

Quote:
Chris Leger- "I freeze all the electronic parts of my guitars. It gives them a piquant, morsellated quality, with none of the unctuousness of more garrigue components."
Home Grown Tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Humidity has been high lately. Spray a coat of straight thinner on it.

Then:

Go to a paint store and buy a quart of lacquer retarder. It is cheap. You need to put a capful or two in your mix. You will love the way the paint flows with the retarder. YOu will have no further problems with blushing. Your lacquer will dry normally. Maybe ten minutes additional time for it to dry to the touch.

Also. get highest grade lacquer thinner at paint store. Do not use Home Depot thinner for anything other than cleaning your gun.

Like Colt sez, no more blowdryers, heat or direct sunlight on your fresh lacquer finishes. Blisters will pop up all over.