Tru-Oil? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Tru-Oil?

Finally got to the point where I simply couldnít stand the sticky lacquered neck on my 52ri Tele & 58ri Les Paul.

So, I got one of those green scrub pads and lightly rubbed down the back of each neck. This got the stickiness off with very little effort. A HUGE improvement in feel. Iím quite happy with them both.

Now Iím wondering if Iíll need to use Tru-Oil on the necks to protect them & keep from warping. What do yíall think?

I read an older post http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-fi...neck-help.html that really praised the feel of a neck treated with Tru-Oil.

How does this treatment make the neck feel?

Would using it over a stock satin finished neck be an improvement?

Thanks!

~Randy

Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Now Iím wondering if Iíll need to use Tru-Oil on the necks to protect them & keep from warping. What do yíall think?
I wouldn't worry about it. If you like how it feels now, I'd just leave it as is. There have been a few threads lately on the subject of 'unfinished' necks and the consensus seems to be that warping and other problems are rare. The common wisdom is that lacquer can be okay on top of other finishes, but other finishes on top of lacquer generally don't work out.

As to Tru-Oil in general - I really like the feel and it's about all I will use these days on my builds. And I recommend it on a regular basis to others. But the difference for me is that I'm always starting out with a fresh unfinished neck. I start to worry about compatability problems when 'mixing' or layering finishes.

Once you've got it feeling good, it's a good time to stop working on it.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Don't take my word for it, but I've read somewhere (here) that you can lacquer over a Tru-Oil finish, but not vice-versa.
WrayGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad porcupine View Post
Don't take my word for it, but I've read somewhere (here) that you can lacquer over a Tru-Oil finish, but not vice-versa.
That's true. All of the Tru-Oiled necks I've done have lacquer (nitro) sprayed over the Tru-Oil on the headstock faces. No problem there.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to lacquer over Tru-Oil on any part of the neck that makes contact with your hand. The main advantages of Tru-Oil are ease of application, durability and 'feel'. And the 'feel' part is really, really good. The main objection for most who don't like lacquer on their necks is that the lacquer feels sticky. I spray lacquer on the headstock to 'bury' decals. It will also check (Tru-Oil does not) so if you're after a 'vintage' look, that's one way to get it.

Old March 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
... I got one of those green scrub pads and lightly rubbed down the back of each neck. This got the stickiness off with very little effort. A HUGE improvement in feel. Iím quite happy with them both.

Hey Randy - You only rubbed the necks with a green scrubby pad? I'd be quite surprised if you took the whole finish off, down to bare wood. So, I'm thinking that you don't need to add any finish for the purpose of protecting the wood, because there's still plenty of goop on there.

mud

Nekkid Bart: "This is the worst day of my life."

Laffing Homer: "Worst day SO FAR!!"
mudbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I just used a green pad, didn't rub hard- just enough to get the stickiness off & for the necks to have a satin like feel. I did see some residue similar to dust in the bad when I finished, but attribute that to the lacquer.

I've been considering using some Micro-Mesh to restore the glossy look, but might just leave it as is.

Thanks again!

~Randy
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I just used a green pad, didn't rub hard- just enough to get the stickiness off & for the necks to have a satin like feel. I did see some residue similar to dust in the bad when I finished, but attribute that to the lacquer.

I've been considering using some Micro-Mesh to restore the glossy look, but might just leave it as is.

Thanks again!

~Randy

Some fast rubbing with Mother's Metal Polish will shine that right up if you have any finish left on it. Don't laugh...I know it's a metal polish, but it really works great. You are only using it as a polish, and hence, most of it simply absorbs back into the applicator towel.

This stuff is fantastic...and it won't make the neck sticky.