Wood Grain vs. Figured Flame - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Wood Grain vs. Figured Flame

Does anyone know how to bring out the grain growth pattern of a hard maple top and not only the flame figuring of the wood? I have an unfinished maple top and can see both the nice grain patterns and, when the light hits it a certain way, I can see the chatoyant wood flame pattern too. The ripple is perpendicular to the grain growth--90 degrees to the growth rings. And I know everyone is going to say how beautiful and prized flame maple is but I don't want the flame to pop and overpower and look so tiger striped that I can't see any grain anymore, I really want to keep both the natural wood growth pattern with a reddish brown, violin-like, amber colored tint to the flame figuring. It seems like dyes always bring out the flame to overwhelmingly dominate the grain with it's darkness and we are only left with the tiger stripes. Basically a little flame would be nice but it always seems to overpower the grain to where you can't see any grain at all. Ideally I would like to see both patterns in different reflections of light with a 3D type feel and lots of depth. Does anybody have any ideas or photos or am I crazy to think I can have the best of both worlds?

Chetness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Apply a clear grain filler to the body and sand. The darker grain will retain the filler. Make sure you use a filler that readily accepts dye. This way you can get more of the dye on the inbetween areas.

Hope this makes sense.