How do I remove white glue from a poly finish? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Finely Finished
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Finely Finished Discussion of painting, finishing and yes, even relicing your guitar. Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

How do I remove white glue from a poly finish?

I recently traded an Epiphone SG for a Squier Telecaster Custom. The previous owner had pasted a page from a magazine (God knows why...) onto the back of the guitar with WHITE GLUE. Anyone have any tips for removing the stuff? I haven't tried anything besides soapy water yet. I was thinking Goo Gone might work or Ronson lighter fluid... but does anyone have any suggestions that I may not be thinking of?

sawatsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If it's elmers type glue...simply use hot water on a spnge and keep wetting it with that warm/hot water while using a plastic scraper...or something softer than the poly, and it will come off. You don't want to use chemicals on it.

Inevitably, the poly will get scratched a bit, but you can simply buff that out using a fine grade polish. What I like now, even better than all that overpriced3M stuff is Mother's Billet Metal Polish.

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
If it's elmers type glue...simply use hot water on a spnge and keep wetting it with that warm/hot water while using a plastic scraper...or something softer than the poly, and it will come off. You don't want to use chemicals on it.

Inevitably, the poly will get scratched a bit, but you can simply buff that out using a fine grade polish. What I like now, even better than all that overpriced3M stuff is Mother's Billet Metal Polish.
Thanks for that tip. Will the Mother's polish work well enough to restore the finish to it's original shine? Or is that impossible?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If it is sticker glue, small amounts of WD-40...

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawatsky View Post
Thanks for that tip. Will the Mother's polish work well enough to restore the finish to it's original shine? Or is that impossible?

I just used the Mother's polish on my Fender strat deluxe, to remove some light etches (really tiny) where the guitar rubs against my pants, belt, and it took em off with a few minutes of circular rubbing. Then I just used a good wax on it. I'm not this anal retentive normally, but just wanted to see how well this stuff works, and I thought it worked very well. It left no discoloration, and shined up the finish very well.

Honestly though, it depends on how bad the scratches are after you remove the glue. If it's minor stuff...do what I said. If you have bigger scratches, you might want to use a paint specific 3M rubbing compound first, then use the metal polish.

Old January 25th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
If it is sticker glue, small amounts of WD-40...
It's Elmer's white glue. If it were sticker glue, that's exactly what I'd try haha

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yep....just keep applying hot water with a spnge until it's soft and starts coming off. Instead of scraping, you could simply try rubbing with the same sponge.

Keep us posted and show us some before and after pics.