Danny Gatton Tele??? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum Forum for Fender Custom Shop Teles owners and anyone else that loves a CS Tele.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Danny Gatton Tele???

Hey folks. So I've been considering a new Tele purchase once I sell some things. I'm thinking either a Crook, (he lives 60 miles from me),
or a CS Nocaster. But I have a G.E. Smith signature Tele that is very similar to a Nocaster in many ways, and I'd like something a bit hotter and fancier. So recently I've been thinking about a CS Danny Gatton signature Tele,
(in frost gold, oh yeah!).
I know I don't have to tell anyone here about Danny Gatton or his Tele, and I am among his many huge fans.
I notice the current production models have a Bill Lawrence designed pickup. Which I'm sure is great, but I want one with authentic Barden's like the man himself played.
I found a 1992 vintage DG with Barden's on CL, so I know they made them.
My question is: When did Fender switch from using Barden's to the Bill Lawrence pickups?
I'd like to know what vintage DG Tele to look for.
I have no problem buying used, and I don't think I will spend $4600.00 on a new one only to spend an additional $300.00 on Barden's to swap out. Also any further details about any changes to this guitar over the years would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to educate myself on these before I spend that kind of cash, I figured there's no better place to ask.
Thanks allot!

TwangBilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I hereby withdrawal my question. I attempted to delete this post. I take it no one here knows the answer any better than I do(?). This is a HARD guitar to find details on. I got a couple responses over on the general Telecaster discussion forum. Thanks anyways. Carry on.....

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey telegat I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck or ruffle anyone's feathers with my previous comment. I was just saying this is a hard guitar to find info on, like my G.E. Smith is as well.
Several days passed with no replies, which is rare on this forum. I just assumed that like myself, nobody viewing this CS thread had much info on the DG. Again my apologies if I sounded trite earlier. I just thought since I couldn't delete my post I'd let it die. I am sure the Lawrence's are great! And no I can't play like Mr. Gatton, not even close! Maybe I never will, I doubt anyone ever will. But I admire him and his signature guitar, and I have a passion for great guitars.
For those reasons I'd like to own one, not to play like him, no guitar could improve my abilities THAT much. I'm just in this for personal enjoyment and satisfaction, no more no less. Peace out.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have one with the Barden pickups. A great guitar!

Woof!
Tidepoolbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't know if this helps but there's a thread here with some DG info.

I think it was around 2004 that Fender switched to Bill Lawrence pickups after Joe had some business difficulties.

If I was going buy another I'd get one with original Bardens and lots of miles on the clock.

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I bought a '97 CS on eBay'53 that was retro'd with Bardens. My opinion, you can put them in any decent tele and have a plethora of good tones at your finger tips. I have Jerry Donahue and a '52 Reissue also. Prefer the CS with Bardens.
McSeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the info and input guys.
I been thinking about just spending $293.00 on a set of D.G. Bardens and dropping them in my
G.E. Smith Tele. Blasphemy I know, this thing has the vintage pickups, and the bridge is special wound I THINK. I love these pickups and they do about everything great, I'm just craving something hotter and higher output.
I think it would be a good pairing, this guitar is all vintage 50's specs.
It would be a comparatively cheap experiment.

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwangBilly View Post
Thanks for all the info and input guys.
I been thinking about just spending $293.00 on a set of D.G. Bardens and dropping them in my
G.E. Smith Tele. Blasphemy I know, this thing has the vintage pickups, and the bridge is special wound I THINK. I love these pickups and they do about everything great, I'm just craving something hotter and higher output.
I think it would be a good pairing, this guitar is all vintage 50's specs.
It would be a comparatively cheap experiment.
I think GE Smith would be majorly on board with you making it your own unique guitar. Go for it...
Starrman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Smith model bridge pup is screwed into the body, no? I don't remember when where I saw an interview with smith explaining. Maybe it's on youtube.
I think Danny gatton is the first person I've seen with those dual rails. Ok now I'm rambling
bacongrease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacongrease
The Smith model bridge pup is screwed into the body, no? I don't remember when where I saw an interview with smith explaining. Maybe it's on youtube.
I think Danny gatton is the first person I've seen with those dual rails. Ok now I'm rambling
Yes, the bridge pickup is body mounted.
But it is a stock type pickup, nothing special or modified as far as the mounting is concerned.
It is wound just like the first ones were in the 50's and can just as easily be mounted to the bridge.
And yeah there's a good video of him explaining it on YouTube.
The DG Bardens aren't the only pickups with the rail magnets, I'm not sure who was first but there are several.

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

SD did a hot rails & cool rails series some time ago. I don't know if they still make them, I don't know who did it first. Bill Lawrence makes some hot stuff under his own name too.

I may need to get a bridge pickup. Fat Dawg made them with dime sized poles.

For the record I own neither dg nor g.e.s.
bacongrease is offline   Reply With Quote