Help With Pickup Springs - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > The DIY Tool Shed
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The DIY Tool Shed Discussion of the tools, jigs and rigs you use in your build projects. Show off your work bench or work room, too.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Help With Pickup Springs

Hi All:
Would really appreciate your help so I can finish my Alston TC1 tele kit. Can anyone point me to a good reference or explain the purpose of the springs and how they should go when installing the pickups? I know this is probably pretty basic, but would like to do it right and the Alston directions are terrible. Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130706_142302.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	188201

southdtele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

On the bridge pickup you put them on the screws before you put the pickup into the bridge (between the underneath of the bridge and the screw-head), then screw the bridge to the body. You can then adjust pickup height after you've put the strings on.
The neck pickup depends on your scratchplate; if your neck pickup is fixed to the scratchplate (are there 2 holes next to the pickup hole on the scratchplate?) then they go between the pickup & the scratchplate on the screws.
If there's no holes in your scratchplate then they go between the base of the neck pickup and the body of the guitar - OR (important) if the pickup is the right height sat in the bottom of the cavity then you don't use the screws at all & you start to look at ways of fixing it to the base of the cavity.
StuR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I know this sounds obvious to most folks. The springs go on the screw between pickup and the thing it hangs from, pickguard or bridge base. The screws pull the pickup up, the springs push it down. If the springs are conical, it doesn't matter much but I put them on wide end against the pickguard in the assumption that this stops the pickup rocking as much.

FWIW the screws are long thin round head Phillips (two Ls) wood screws, No.3 if memory serves but longer than normal for this size, probably 35mm but you can cut them with stout pliers if they're too long.

If the neck pickup is body mount then you can use springs or foam rubber (pickup packaging), but you must make sure that the screws do not go through the back of the guitar body, easily done.

Humbuckers usually have a small thin machine screw (nut&bolt), and feet that will want that humbucker rout deepened north and south with a pair of recesses to accommodate them.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Awesome... Thanks so much to the both of you.
southdtele is offline   Reply With Quote