capacitor-resistor high pass/low pass filters - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Burnt Fingers DIY Effects
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Burnt Fingers DIY Effects Building or modding your own Effects and Stompboxes? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 31st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

capacitor-resistor high pass/low pass filters

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...ighpass/hp.gif

does anyone know if i could put 2 of these in series, or one after another? would it change my desired frequency cutoff/break away point by using 2 of the same value vs using one? i am wanting to make a high pass filter for an upright bass at about 40hz using a 22uf cap and 200ohm resistor.

boozername is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What is your intention?To roll off the low end below 41 Hz which is the frequency of the low E on a bass?
limbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Your frequency will be the same, but it will be 12db/octave rolloff with two filters rather than 6db with one.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 31st, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

limy yes that is my intention. when slapping on an upright bass the thud on the fret board is way too loud.

luckett thanks for the info.

do you guys think i could make up for lost gain with the gain on the amp, or do you guys think i'd need to pre amp the signal after 2 or 3 stages of filter? i guess i could try it without any op amps first right?

Old September 1st, 2013, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yes 200Ohms +22uF will give you a 6dB/octave roll off @ 37Hz.
If you put 2 of these in series, the roll off would be 12dB/oct (i.e steeper), the corner frequency would not change.
Each filter stage adds another 6dB to the roll off.
(putting them one after another is called putting in series, there is no use trying to put them in parallel)

I don't know your circuit but I would suggest a large resistor and a small cap, it is usually a better match for most audio circuits.
I'd use resistors at least above 10K (e.g. 50K + 0.1uF would give 32Hz etc ...)

Corner frequency is given by 1/(2*Pi*resistor*capa)
If I wanted noticeable rolloff @41Hz I'd choose a corner freq of about 45-50Hz because the rolloff is only 3dBV @ the corner freq.

I doubt you'd need to recover the voltage drop with an additional preamp.
A slight twist on the gain knob will do

Old September 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

(double post)

Old September 1st, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

thank you poiureza very informative. i think i will take your advice and use a .1uf ceramic instead of the 22uf electrolytic. im guessing the electrolytic would introduce slight latency or alter the circuit due to different charge and recharge rates? i think i will set my frequency breakaway a little higher as you advised.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My impression is that you'll need to play with resistor and/or capa values until you like what you hear. Theory is one thing, reality is another.

Tune it with an external circuit where you can easily subsitute values previously to soldering anything.
You could maybe use a 50-100K pot for the resistor and sub capas in and out until it's OK.
This "breadboard" would also be useful for checking how many stages you need : I'm not sure you'll hear much difference (if any) between 6dB/oct vs 12-18dB/oct.
Keep the corner freq formulae in mind so you keep things in the right ball park.

Alas I have no knowledge regarding latency due to cap values ...

Good luck

Old October 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozername View Post
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...ighpass/hp.gif

does anyone know if i could put 2 of these in series, or one after another? would it change my desired frequency cutoff/break away point by using 2 of the same value vs using one? i am wanting to make a high pass filter for an upright bass at about 40hz using a 22uf cap and 200ohm resistor.
2 would give it a 12 db slope, 3 would be 18 db, etc, but the frequency would be the same. A low pass and high pass in series makes a band pass. I'd use a pot for the frequency, or at least a switch.