Replacing True Bypass Switch - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Burnt Fingers DIY Effects
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Burnt Fingers DIY Effects Building or modding your own Effects and Stompboxes? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 27th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Replacing True Bypass Switch

Nothing to major here. I need to replace the true bypass switch in a pedal I got for christmas last year. The guy who made it said I would have to pay postage and $20 repair fee, so I figured I have the skill to do it so why not. I know how to install it. Theonly question I have is in where to get a decent quality switch. I don't want to spend over $10 on it. Are the switches from china any good? The ones that are like $3 a piece or less if you buy like 5 at a time.

jgeltchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeltchy View Post
Nothing to major here. I need to replace the true bypass switch in a pedal I got for christmas last year. The guy who made it said I would have to pay postage and $20 repair fee, so I figured I have the skill to do it so why not. I know how to install it. Theonly question I have is in where to get a decent quality switch. I don't want to spend over $10 on it. Are the switches from china any good? The ones that are like $3 a piece or less if you buy like 5 at a time.
Try eBay. Buy one of the $6-7 dollar single.
Should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI
sirbergersworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com

$2.22 for a quality 3PDT + shipping. And there's lots of other stuff you might discover you need.
Jake's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 30th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+ 5.95 shipping. Is there anybody who has bought switches from them and can vouch for their quality?
Carling switches have a reputation for being good switches.They are not cheap!
J.D. Have you dealt with them yourself?

Last edited by limbe; June 30th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
limbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

bitches love my switches is top notch. But because of the flat shipping, I wait until I have a large order. I have also used the switches from taydaelectronics.com. They don't "feel" as good, but I haven't had one fail yet.
Funhouse42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've only used 10 of bitches switches. Not a bad one in the lot.
Jake's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Okay thanks for the help. I'l just something off ebay as the shipping is absolutely ridiculous from bitches love my switches from usa to indonesia.
jgeltchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/

$3.33 and I think they may have free shipping, I dont remember.

Old July 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake's Dad View Post
http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com

$2.22 for a quality 3PDT + shipping. And there's lots of other stuff you might discover you need.
At least you won't forget the name of the website.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a very similar thread open here as well, been looking for cheap switches. BitchesLovemySwitches has good prices, but their shipping info is either misleading or incorrect. When I go to checkout, it doesn't list first class mail as an option. I'm buying 2 dpdt's. When I go down to 1 switch, it gives me the option for first class. There's no way 2 footswtiches wrapped in bubble wrap weigh more than 13 oz, but they want to make me pay for Priority. Lame.

I'm going with NewOldSounds.com -- their switches are $2.50 a pop, but shipping is less than $3.
Setyaback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setyaback View Post
I have a very similar thread open here as well, been looking for cheap switches. BitchesLovemySwitches has good prices, but their shipping info is either misleading or incorrect. When I go to checkout, it doesn't list first class mail as an option. I'm buying 2 dpdt's. When I go down to 1 switch, it gives me the option for first class. There's no way 2 footswtiches wrapped in bubble wrap weigh more than 13 oz, but they want to make me pay for Priority. Lame.

I'm going with NewOldSounds.com -- their switches are $2.50 a pop, but shipping is less than $3.
Hey! I just tested this out. I'm glad you brought this up because there was an error with the way the shopping cart was calculating the weight for DPDT switches. I just fixed it.

Go ahead and test it out.

And thanks again for pointing this out. In the future if anyone else notices something like this you can always email me at lawrence at bitcheslovemyswitches dott comm. I'd be happy to help out in anyway I can.
BitchesSwitches is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeltchy View Post
Okay thanks for the help. I'l just something off ebay as the shipping is absolutely ridiculous from bitches love my switches from usa to indonesia.
What were you trying to order? I'll look into it to make sure there's nothing wacky going on.
BitchesSwitches is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setyaback View Post

Depending on the size of the box or large envelope, even small and light, sometimes its cheaper to send it priority then it is to send it via first class USPS with tracking. Its been a while since I have been doing the Ebay thing so I cant really remember the size requirements. 99% of the time, I would only offer priority myself just because it was a lot easier to anticipate the shipping charges.

I don't know the guy and never have done any business with them but its one possible explanation.