Originally Posted by poiureza
Thanks Lunchie, DIY is plan B.
I have a ... thing (couldn't possibly call this an I/O box) with jacks, a couple switches and loose wires sticking out.
I have a couple questions if you don't mind :
- How did you attach the enclosure to the wood ?
- Same for the terminal strip on the enclosure ? Or is the strip attached on the wood instead ?
- Did you have to electrically isolate everything from the enclosure ? I see the switch has a plastic or nylon washer, but what about the jack and the pot ?
- Did you drill some small holes in the enclosure to connect its internals to the strip (hard to see in the pic) ?
Thanks in advance
PS : I made a quick estimate for a DIY thingy.
For an I/O box + a control box (a couple pots and switches), I'm already @ $30 plus the enclosures + the base plate.
Would it be a bad thing to make the base plase out of aluminum so everything is already ground connected ? Saves a couple solder joints, wires and bolts. No idea how this would influence hum and such though ...
The enclosure is just attached with Velcro and the breadboards came with puffy tape stuff already on them. I have found that the glue they use on velcro, even the cheap stuff, will stick like a mofo to wood if you leave them alone long enough to soak in. I've ripped fingernails off trying to get pedals off of wooden pedalboards.
I dont remember having to isolate anything from the enclosure. The plastic washer I used was the one that came with the switch. It did have a pretty thick layer of paint on the enclosure, that probably helped as well.
Yeah I just drilled some small holes to run the wires through. Don't really need the strip, could just run them into the breadboard directly. I just used the strip mostly because I had it laying around.
This was my first attempt at building anything pedal related and it was a success the first time. I would say my soldering skills are average and my electronics knowledge is nonexistant and it worked the first time
Since then I have had 4 builds 3 EM-Drive clones and a SHO. The first EM-Drive never worked and couldnt figure out why so I moved on to a second. The second one caught on fire, I had a bad ground on a pot and a little flame came out of it and started smoking
. The third one worked but then quickly turned into a Fart machine. I am pretty sure the PIO caps are failing in it, its fun to play with but I cant see it being any good for anything lol. After the failed EM-Drives I moved onto the SHO that worked first time except for the LED. I didnt use a big enough resistor (I think).
Anyway, cheers on the hobby, its a lot of fun when things work