Any cool Boost ideas? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Burnt Fingers DIY Effects
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Burnt Fingers DIY Effects Building or modding your own Effects and Stompboxes? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Any cool Boost ideas?

Hey All,

After my frustration with non-boutique overdrives sounded too distorted, muddy, and lo-fi I've decided to attempt a first time boost pedal. I was over at Mammoth Electronics and saw you can get pretty much any size box you want. I'd like this box to be a much clearer and wide clean range Tubescreamer with one knob if possible. Just a nice mid-bump with some grit but clarity and just slight compression. Any ideas?

tuddy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

the mid boost on the germanium side of my byoc triboost all day long
TheSmokingMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

EP Booster?

After everything I've been reading here lately, it seems like the Xotic EP Booster is the one to get. Of course I can't tell you anything about it personally, but I'm sure there will be a few that chime in. It is going to be my next pedal, but I just bought my first tele last month, so I'll have to wait awhile.
LS-2>Fender Volume>Rogue Delay>FRV-1>Jamman
Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Zvex super hard on
joebonilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I can think of 3 that are worth looking into and all 3 schematics can be found here:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/

1. Peppermill - Its basically a clean boost but fully cranked it can give just a very little bit of grit. Its a good one if you want to get a little more out of your amp.

2. Kalamazoo - Its another transparent OD that can either give you more of a rock tone or clean up so that it puts a bit of hair on it when you dig in. I have been GASN over this pedal for a bit now.

3. EM-Drive - Its best used as a boost but it will get dirty. I have not heard a whole lot of love for the real dirty settings.

I have a peppermill that has a couple other dirt stages added to it. Its a really great sounding pedal and its ALWAYS on.

I plan on building an Em-Drive in a few weeks. Its such a simple build, 5 components, two knobs and a switch.

Lunchie String Reviews - New reviews 1st of each month! Come on over and talk strings.
Lunchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here are the links to the pedals Lunchie recommends :

1: http://runoffgroove.com/peppermill.html
2:http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2...kalamazoo.html
3:http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2...-em-drive.html
limbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got a Yellow Drive!

Hey All,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I had a gift card so went to GC tonight to try out different stuff. Ended up taking a T-Rex Yellow Drive home! What a surprise; this pedal has a wide range of tones. A big issue I found with a lot of pedals was the lack of range on the drive and tone knobs and lack of clarity. The distortion character doesn't tend to run-away like other pedals too, there's a nice decay to it. It sounds very similar to a cranked tweed albeit more lo-fi sounding. This pedal isn't perfectly transparent but has a nice chunky spank to it too. And the bonus; two channels! I'm still planning on building a boost but have satisfied my hunger at the moment :)
tuddy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuddy24 View Post
Hey All,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I had a gift card so went to GC tonight to try out different stuff. Ended up taking a T-Rex Yellow Drive home! What a surprise; this pedal has a wide range of tones. A big issue I found with a lot of pedals was the lack of range on the drive and tone knobs and lack of clarity. The distortion character doesn't tend to run-away like other pedals too, there's a nice decay to it. It sounds very similar to a cranked tweed albeit more lo-fi sounding. This pedal isn't perfectly transparent but has a nice chunky spank to it too. And the bonus; two channels! I'm still planning on building a boost but have satisfied my hunger at the moment :)
Hnpd!!

"It's ironic- I used to play in my bedroom pretending I'm onstage; now I play onstage and pretend I'm in my bedroom."
andrewsadlon is offline   Reply With Quote