DIY Spring Reverb - Alembic Stratoblaster to Drive it? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Burnt Fingers DIY Effects
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Burnt Fingers DIY Effects Building or modding your own Effects and Stompboxes? Then use this forum to discuss the process and show your pride and joy.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

DIY Spring Reverb - Alembic Stratoblaster to Drive it?

Hey guys,

I have an old Fender Spring reverb unit laying around, and i've been scowering the web for details on how to drive it. Turns out you need an amplification circuit on both input, and output. My question is -- would the Alembic stratoblaster circuit suffice? It's a clean, transistor based boost. Most of the schematics i've seen use the LM741 op amp run at 4.5 volts, so i'm just wondering. Thanks!

capth00k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

It's a heavy load that is driven by a small tube output transformer. I'm not sure that 741 has enough current to drive it.
Depending on the number (stamped on the tank) of the reverb tank, you will have different input and output impedance, and there are several types available...and so it's hard to say what will drive it until you first "decode" the part number, or measure the in / out.
For example 4AB3C1B is 8 ohm in, 2250 ohm out (see charts)
http://roymal.tripod.com/accutron.htm
It usually takes quite a bit of drive voltage. This is electrical to mechanical, through the springs, and then mechanical to electrical.
soundguruman is offline   Reply With Quote