Unbelievable! Jay Turser JTB-401 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The BASS Place
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

The BASS Place Talk about Bass guitars and the low end of the scale.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Unbelievable! Jay Turser JTB-401

I just spent $130 on a Jay Turser JTB-401. It is a copy of the '54 Precision bass. This bass is amazing. It came out of the box TUNED! The fit and finish is perfect. The frets are smooth with no high or sharp frets. That little ugly pickup shoots thunder! They must have been listening because the knobs are now metal. The body is so light that it tends to neck dive. People have said that a Badass II bridge will alleviate this. I spent over a grand on a Rickenbacker 4003 which I adore but to spend $130 and be happy is something that I never thought would happen! I didn't think they could send an empty box from China for $130!! If you're looking for a great sounding bass with the Sting '54 Precision vibe, check out the Jay Turser JTB-401B. The only thing I would have liked if the neck was a little chunkier..it seems a little thin but it still plays like a dream! If anyone has any experience with any of the other Jay Turser guitars I would love to hear about it. They have a gorgeous Tele model with a humbucker up front.

Old November 8th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Cool. How does the headstock look?

Old November 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

^^ditto.....headstock pic needed

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 8th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

here's the link......
http://www.jayturser.com/jtb-401.php

Old November 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

thanx

Old November 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

And with a little work

It can get real Fendery looking! Refin in Surf Green Nitro and my usual headstock trim and tinted nitro neck....wallla!

Old November 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pic with headstock

As far as knockoffs go, the headstock and logo are pretty nice.

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

good god those are awesome. Rob, that thing is really great! I'm floored!

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Dang, a guy could get one of those for $160 shipped on eBay right now!

I just gotta keep reminding myself that I already own three basses and am happy!!!!

Cheers, Tim

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I know that feeling

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdangler View Post
The only thing I would have liked if the neck was a little chunkier..it seems a little thin but it still plays like a dream! If anyone has any experience with any of the other Jay Turser guitars I would love to hear about it.
They have that bass at a local music store -- high on the wall, where it's a little less tempting to me. If I could try it out without asking for help, I might be in trouble, because it sure looks cool!

I got a Turser "335" at the same store a few years back. I really like it, even though it isn't very authentic; much lighter, and the neck is a lot thinner. Which makes me wonder, if my guitar neck is skinny, and your bass neck is thin, maybe that's a characteristic of all the Turser instruments...?

Old November 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Don't take the pickguard off.
The cavities will probably look like they were chewed out by rabid beavers.
I was shocked by the one Jay Turdster I had apart.

Old November 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine complete with the TDPRI Partscaster logo...

Prone to neck dive though...I bought a WIDE leather strap w/ Zeppelin Strap locks and have no problems...I love it but use it as back up b/c I bought a G&L JB-2.

Old August 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm bumping this thread because I acquired one of these Turser JTB-401's recently.

I really am floored by the quality for the money. I wanted to ask if any other forum members had one or had any experience with one--I'd like to hear stories and see pics of any mods like the super-hot surf green job.

Also, I wondered if anyone could tell me if these are still in production? I can't find them for sale anywhere. Well, I find places that say they have them, but then it turns out they are back-ordered.

I even called the Turser company and was told they imagined they would be back in retail stores by mid-July but couldn't guarantee anything.

I hope they haven't been discontinued...I was hoping to get another as a backup. I am really astonished at the sound they have and the neck feels like it was custom-fit to my hand. Perfect for me.

I was planning on trying to get one in a few different colors...now I'm thinking they may just be gone, daddy, gone, which would be a pity.

I just lucked into mine on eBay from some shop that found a b-stock one in their storage facility. Snagged it for $95 and I can't see a flaw on it.

Anyways, love to hear from anyone else who has one of these.

Old August 15th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Going to call my guitar broker (he's a Turser dealer as well as Hagstrom) and see if he can find one for me. Saw a video of ZZ Top playing on the Tonight Show with Dusty playing an old P bass. Really got my interest up in one.

I have a Turser Beatle bass that is pretty incredible - I just don't want certain expectations when I strap on a bass to sit in with a band.

My Turser tele is a nice ax too so I give the brand a pretty solid thumbs up.

Old August 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got one of these for recording and it is truly brilliant.

Squier by Fender Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass(Natural)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ass?sku=519639
" A musician, if he is a messenger, is like a child who hasn't been handled too many times by man, hasn't had too many fingerprints across his brain. That's why music is so much heavier than anything you ever felt "- Jimi Hendrix 1969

Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Going to call my guitar broker (he's a Turser dealer as well as Hagstrom) and see if he can find one for me.
I'd love to hear what you find out. I may try to put in another call to Turser (or the American distributing company for them) and see if these are going to be available again.

Quote:
I have a Turser Beatle bass that is pretty incredible - I just don't want certain expectations when I strap on a bass to sit in with a band.

My Turser tele is a nice ax too so I give the brand a pretty solid thumbs up.
Yeah, I've been pleased with the Tursers I've played (basses and guitars.)

While there are still some off-brand/cheapo companies that have very low quality, overall a person can get a HECK of a lot in an electric guitar or bass in the sub-$300 range.

When I started playing, the cheap stuff, 95% of the time, was truly cheap--cheap construction cheap build, cheap sound, QC? Forgetaboutit...

Nowadays it's so much better. Squier, Turser, SX/Agile, etc. offer really good instruments at a great price point. Some of this has to do , IMO, with CNC machines, but it also has to do with increased trade relations, people writing specs who really care and know about instruments, and the fact that with the internet, if some off-brand makes real junk, word will spread rapidly, so it behooves manufacturers and dealers to provide consistent quality and conduct business properly.

It's a really good time to get started on guitar or bass on the cheap, or even to buy your workhorse gear cheaply.

On my SX P-bass and my Turser JTB-401, I personally think the sound and playability are right on par with Fenders. I would say, though, that when you buy Fender you do tend to get more solid wiring and electronics and hardware. But I can swap out a bridge and nut and wiring harness (or even upgrade a pup if I felt the need--though I don't with my cheapies) and have a bass on par with an MIA Fender for less than half the $$$.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfields View Post
I got one of these for recording and it is truly brilliant.

Squier by Fender Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass(Natural)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ass?sku=519639
I have played 3 of this exact bass and I found the sound to be incredible. I've owned '64 and '65 Fender Jazz basses (fretted and fretless) that didn't sound any better at all than this Squier model.

In fact, I came verrrrry close to picking up either the Squier VM J or the VM Telecaster Bass, but the one thing--the only thing--that turned me off was the necks. I was not at all fond of the unfinished look and feel. The looks aren't of much important to me (though with these models having maple fingerboards, I think they would look much sharper with a vintage-tint neck) but I really didn't like the feel of them.

I mean, this is purely subjective and not a comment on the (most often excellent) quality and value of recent Squiers, just my personal feeling, but to me the necks on these Squier models seemed mushy, almost like they were made of balsa wood or something. And, in fact, one of the VM J-basses I played had to be sent back by the music store because it quickly developed some neck bow and twist that their techs could not prevent or repair. I'm sure that's an exceptional situation however.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I bought one of these SX SPB-57 3/4 Short Scale basses from Rondo, and it's got a very nice hard tinted finish on the neck (and the body is well-finished, too).

The electronics were a little on the cheap side, but I had a really good Peter Florance Voodoo P-Bass pickup sitting in my parts box, so that wasn't a problem!

Cheers, Tim

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep.click View Post
I really like it, even though it isn't very authentic; much lighter, and the neck is a lot thinner. Which makes me wonder, if my guitar neck is skinny, and your bass neck is thin, maybe that's a characteristic of all the Turser instruments...?
I don't know...the neck on my Turser JTB-401 is nice and chunky, just the way I like 'em. Not too wide top to bottom, but plenty of substance back-to-front profile. It feels like it was made for my hand.

Closed Thread