Anyone make a bass using GFS body/neck? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The BASS Place
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The BASS Place Talk about Bass guitars and the low end of the scale.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Anyone make a bass using GFS body/neck?

Has anyone made a bass using GFS body/necks? tell me how it came out and what you think of it..

El Hefe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Bump !
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Anyone?

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'll bump this too. I would like to know as well
Boundforglory07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought one of the Jazz bodies two years ago, had to leave on business travel before it arrived (this will be important later). Came back a month later, opened the box, and found that they use a non-standard neck pocket size (2 and 7/16" instead of 2 and a half inches) and a non-standard Jazz pickup routing. They don't sell Jazz pickups that fit their Jazz bodies, BTW. I haven't found anyone who does. As for the neck pocket, fine if you use their necks, not so great if you're trying to replace a Fender body.

In addition to discovering the non-standard fit (fine, that's fixable) I discovered the neck pocket was routed far too deep into the body AND was routed at an angle that would have put the side of the bridge within one inch of the volume control.

They wouldn't take it back as it was outside their time period for returns, in spite of the grossly obvious defect. While I understand the time limit was stated in the terms of the purchase, and it is on me for not returning it in time, it speaks volumes about their non-existent commitment to customer satisfaction that they would not even consider doing so in spite of obvious defects.

The body ended up in the trash. There was simply nothing else to be done.

Here's the deal with GFS: their prices are possible because they buy the lowest quality product from the lowest cost vendor and have outsourced their quality control to you. There's a place for that kind of vendor, if you're good enough to deal with fixing defective merchandise and have the time to do so. I've used them since. I will use them again. But they don't get the same benefit of the doubt that I routinely give other vendors. I don't buy from them unless I absolutely have to - and I rarely have to.

I'll say this: they're the only reasonably priced source for paulownia bodies, one of my favorite solidbody woods, so if you're up for mortal combat with ****ty body routing or their returns people, I'd give it a shot. I plan to do so for a tele build in 2013. I'll buy my hardware off Amazon or from bezdez (eBay) as I usually do.
20721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20721 View Post
I bought one of the Jazz bodies two years ago, had to leave on business travel before it arrived (this will be important later). Came back a month later, opened the box, and found that they use a non-standard neck pocket size (2 and 7/16" instead of 2 and a half inches) and a non-standard Jazz pickup routing. They don't sell Jazz pickups that fit their Jazz bodies, BTW. I haven't found anyone who does. As for the neck pocket, fine if you use their necks, not so great if you're trying to replace a Fender body.

In addition to discovering the non-standard fit (fine, that's fixable) I discovered the neck pocket was routed far too deep into the body AND was routed at an angle that would have put the side of the bridge within one inch of the volume control.

They wouldn't take it back as it was outside their time period for returns, in spite of the grossly obvious defect. While I understand the time limit was stated in the terms of the purchase, and it is on me for not returning it in time, it speaks volumes about their non-existent commitment to customer satisfaction that they would not even consider doing so in spite of obvious defects.

The body ended up in the trash. There was simply nothing else to be done.

Here's the deal with GFS: their prices are possible because they buy the lowest quality product from the lowest cost vendor and have outsourced their quality control to you. There's a place for that kind of vendor, if you're good enough to deal with fixing defective merchandise and have the time to do so. I've used them since. I will use them again. But they don't get the same benefit of the doubt that I routinely give other vendors. I don't buy from them unless I absolutely have to - and I rarely have to.

I'll say this: they're the only reasonably priced source for paulownia bodies, one of my favorite solidbody woods, so if you're up for mortal combat with ****ty body routing or their returns people, I'd give it a shot. I plan to do so for a tele build in 2013. I'll buy my hardware off Amazon or from bezdez (eBay) as I usually do.
I've built three paulowina tele's from them with similar results. One was routed by someone who was drunk, the other two were absolutely perfect. I have had excellent results with the GFS branded pickups but am split 50/50 on hardware.

It's been brought up before that a bass with a paulowina body might suffer from severe neck dive (it's present on the tele's and they have much shorter necks). I'm surprised Tim hasn't chimed in-- he built a short scale bass from a tele guitar body. If I recall, he had to use lightweight tuners to fight the neck dive.
fidopunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

never used gfs bass wood, body or neck. i'd expect the usual hit or miss with fit and finish. no big deal for me, but could be anything from a speed bump to show stopper for others. considering the uber lightness of paulownia, do expect the neck to permanently dive whilst on a strap.

Single Coil Guitar & Bass Pickups
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ liberos vivere, mori libero
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow well I am very close to buying a maple neck for my squier pbass. I thought that they are all made to fender spec at the heel? They say that in the description.

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, they state the heel width as 2 & 7/16" whereas Fender spec is 2 & 1/2".

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

These have industry standard 2 7/16" wide neck pockets- and can accept fender® licensed necks.

So i don't get it?

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This is from Warmoth website:
Quote:
•Standard 2-1/2" wide vintage fender heel specs

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hefe View Post
These have industry standard 2 7/16" wide neck pockets- and can accept fender® licensed necks.

So i don't get it?
Trust our friends with rulers at Stew-Mac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_...nder_Bass.html

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidopunk View Post
Trust our friends with rulers at Stew-Mac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_...nder_Bass.html
And I should add-- both the Mighty Mite and the Warmoth necks are Fender licensed-- their measurements are correct.

Old November 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've had success with Mity Mite. If I were looking at an inexpensive neck, I would start there.
4mal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The stew-mac necks are Made by Mity Mite.
TimboZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The topic is going off subject. The initial discussion involves specifically GF Bass bodies and GFS Bass necks. Looking for pros and cons on this specific matter.

Old November 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

No, being given alternatives isn't off-topic. Pictures of kittens or discussion of motorcycles would be, though.

I did build a short-scale bass using one of their Pawlownia Tele bodies, and didn't run into any problems except for the aforementioned neck dive, which was solved by using Hipshot Ultralite tuners. However, with the longer upper horn of a P or J body, I wouldn't expect neck dive to be an issue on a full scale bass, unless the neck was particularly heavy.

I think the lesson from the earlier posts is pretty simple: carefully examine any GFS body for correct specs, and be prepared to return defective merchandise until you get a good one.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I made my main P bass with one of their bodies and a mighty mite neck about a year and a half ago. Everything else except the bridge saddles and paint is from GFS.

(pic is from just after I finished making it)

I use it for everything. Jazz, rock, funk and P&W. She's been played hard and put up wet, and definitely shows the wear and tear since I used lacquer and the paulownia wood is so soft

Not too much neck dive since I use a leather strap.

EDIT: There was a lot of work that had to be done to make everything fit well and I still ended up with pickguard screws floating in the cavity routes. If you're good at creative problem solving and take your time, these bodies can turn into great instruments. If you rush and get frustrated, you're not gonna have any fun with it.
Thinlineggman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
'll say this: they're the only reasonably priced source for paulownia bodies, one of my favorite solidbody woods, so if you're up for mortal combat with ****ty body routing or their returns people, I'd give it a shot. I plan to do so for a tele build in 2013. I'll buy my hardware off Amazon or from bezdez (eBay) as I usually do.
I did a tele(guitar) with a GFS raw paulownia body, and it went together clean as a whistle with an Allparts neck.

No neck dive, but another ounce of neck and it would.
A bass, no way. You'd have to add an anchor for ballast.
teleforumnoob is offline   Reply With Quote