Anybody using a new Ampeg Portaflex amp? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The BASS Place
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

The BASS Place Talk about Bass guitars and the low end of the scale.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody using a new Ampeg Portaflex amp?

I am thinking about trading my Eden for the PF350 head. I love the preamp sound of that - same as the Micro SVT, but a little more power, and doesn't look like a toy. It's got that old school, Rick Danko sound!

Love to hear from some people who are gigging this amp.

Tele295 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried the Portaflex but I don't have a lot of respect for Ampeg products in the past few years. I chatted with Victor Wooten and he switched from Ampeg mainly because of their reliability issues.

I won a BA-210 in a raffle a few years back: a great sounding amp but surprisingly under-powered for gigging and way too big for home/practice. It sounded great but the components started dying immediately after the warranty ran out (I had sat it in the corner of my music room and just used the DI for direct recording so it wasn't being used hard).

After 3 trips to the repair shop in a year (and the repair guy waiting for Ampeg to come through with components), I finally sold the damn thing. I hope the person who bought had better luck than I had!
Part of your stage presence is your look. If somebody who doesn't know you, can't walk in the door of the bar while you're on break and know at a glance that you're in the band, you are poorly dressed.
Stratburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm really interested to hear opinions on the portaflex or even the micro as well. My wife is looking to upgrade her BA115 which she really likes but wants just a little more power and a head/cab setup.
losergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 11th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My bass player uses a Ampeg Rocket Bass 100 with a 15" with a 75 Jazz Bass and he loves it. 9 years old now and never a sniffel. Heavy as hell thuogh.

https://www.facebook.com/ATCoBand
OlRedNeckHippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Still looking for people that have experience with the new portaflex, now I'm especially interested if anyone can compare it to the Ampeg B1-RE unit or if they just have any opinions on the B1 since I'm eyeing one on ebay right now.

Old March 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The Micro SVT and the PF350 are very similar, from what I understand. Exact same preamp, but the Micro puts out 250 watts, and the PF 350 watts. There's the cosmetic factor too. I'm not sure I trust the Micro 2x10 cabinet not to blow. Sounds amazing, though
Tele295 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't have one but there is a big thread on Talkbass about the amp.
dlb1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele295 View Post
The Micro SVT and the PF350 are very similar, from what I understand. Exact same preamp, but the Micro puts out 250 watts, and the PF 350 watts. There's the cosmetic factor too. I'm not sure I trust the Micro 2x10 cabinet not to blow. Sounds amazing, though
Ya, actually the micro is only 200watts and since we're upgrading for more power I'm suspicious of both the amp and the cab - espeically since the cab is rated at 200 watts - that seems like cutting it close to me.

I've been hearing a lot recently though from some friends (two in particular that both have older Hartke 3500 Mosfet heads) that some older Mosfet solid state amps are 'louder' than some of these new models. Personally I think this is just luddite attitude, however I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can compare the relative volume of the 350 watt Portaflex and the B1RE (or also the Hartke 3500, since we have a line on one of those as well).

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb1001 View Post
I don't have one but there is a big thread on Talkbass about the amp.
Thanks - I'll take a look there, but I'm still interested in hearing from people here.

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

the micro SVT won't blow the 2-10 cab because it's only putting out around 150 Watts at 8 Ohms. Two of those cabs will increase amp output to the full 200 Watts; still lots to spare. Be aware that the amp has a history of acting up, making strange noises if 2 cabs are used.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

After some research my wife and I decided to go for the PF500 - it's only 100$ more than the 350 for 500 watts and also several useful upgrades like the MOSFAT preamp, compressor instead of limiter and a ground lift on the DI as well as the 5 way character knob that she was used to on her BA115. The 350 sounds like a really nice amp for the cash but seems like a nice deal on an entry level amp and as opposed to the 500 which seems like a great deal on a potential lifetime amp.

I'd been keeping an eye out for a coupon code for one of the online retailers and then yesterday Zzounds posted a 'blemished' unit for 284$ (115$ less then it would cost locally) so we jumped at it. I've had good luck with reboxed units from Zzounds, so I'm crossing my fingers for this one.

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

A friend of mine bought a solid state SVT. He's still trying to sell it after getting no help from Ampeg waranty service. It goes into protection mode and distorts in a really ugly way if you push it. He was using the 8 x 10" cab with it. Good luck with your amp.

Old March 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The problem I have with this series of amps from Ampeg is that they are all made in China. Don't need anymore stuff much less an amp made in communist china.
broadcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have one - I gig regularly with it.
I gave me 10 months - about 40-50 solid gigs with no issues.
It choked at home one night when I turned it on -
it was reapired wnd works fine again *(all repaired under warranty - AMPEG was fine - local service proivder was a little wonky). They replaced the main power board.

It works fine, and I am using it again - also got a genz shuttle 6.0 NIB for $395 though the bass place.com. they are $495 now.

i will get the PF15 cab for it - mount it and use it as a combo - and the shuttle with my sb112 or 410 cab.

the PF500 is a great sounding amp - great voice for a good cab. I can't seem to get quite the same grind out of it now - after the repair. Maybe more gigs to burn it in? I don't know.

Hopefully, it holds up better now, with the repair.

www.roadhousebluesfest.com/badjuju

Bad JuJu - Its good for your Soul !
Frankjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Picking up my wife's amp this afternoon and we'll be using it tonight at practice so I should have something to say about it tomorrow.

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

So picked up my wife's 'blemished' unit and the only blemishes we can find are that the box was opened and repacked. The unit iself is pristine.....definitely wortth the 100$ discount.

My wife played the amp last night and it sounded great. Usually she plays with a Bass Big Muff in this band, but last night she ran clean to test it out. With the gain up high she actually got a really nice fat drive sound though. I will say that I kind of expected the amp to be a little louder - when she maxed the volume it was very loud, but didn't quite destroy us the way I expected. That might have had to do with the fact that we were running into a 8ohm cab so it's only rated at 350watts at 8ohms. It'll be nice to try it in a 4 ohm cab so we can see the full power. Either way, she's gonna be getting a 1x15 or 2x10 so it's never gonna be a beast through a cab like that. It'll be fun the first time that she's sharing cabs at a show and gets to play through someone's oversized fridge.

For the rest of practice though she played it around 6 on the master volume and the gain about 75% up. She also seemed to like the ultra low setting but went back and forth between it. At first glance the ultra high setting doesn't seem overly effective, but I'll be interested in trying it with my jazz bass instead of her precision to see if it reacts differently to the pickups in mine.

Another thing I noticed, that I'm going to play around a little more next week when I use it, is that the 'style' knob doesn't seem quite as varried as on her BA115 - on the old amp it had a really wide range from fat and almost fluffy to a really high end punch, and each setting had a pretty distinct voice....on this it just seemed to have a really minor effect on the eq that didn't seem very different from tweaking the eq settings manually. Again, I'm going to investigate this further myself - she didn't want to mess around too much last night in practice so I'm not sure if I got an accurate impression.

Either way, she's super happy. It's plenty loud and really portable which was the main goal.

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

After reading the manual (go figure) I see that the 5 way knob on this amp isnt the same as on the ba115 - the BA uses it as a style preset (static eq bumps or cuts at certain frequencies) whereas the pf uses it as the frequency range for the mid level control knob. Since me wife had the mid level at 12 o'clock (ie no bump or cut) then its no surprise that the switch didn't seem to be making much of a difference. I will play more with it this week when I get to use the amp.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I thought I'd check in once more in case anyone is still looking for info on the PF500. I've used it a couple times at practice now and so has my wife and we're both really happy with it. The one thing I find a little odd is still the 5 way switch - it really only makes a little bit of difference if you're really cranking or cutting the mid really hard. I'd prefer if it was more like the character knob on the BA115 which made a very distinct difference and was almost like having 5 amp models at your disposal.

Otherwise it's been great - loud and simple and sounds great. We've been running it through my friend's old school 1x15 at 8ohm and it's been super loud, but I'm picking up a custom 2x10 Leyland cab (local ottawa company) that's wired to run at 4ohms so it should be really fun when she uses it with our band on Thursday.

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have an 1969 SB-12 that sounds fantastic, as it should. I just have to ask....Are the new re-issues sounding as good as the old ones ?
sa paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa paine View Post
I have an 1969 SB-12 that sounds fantastic, as it should. I just have to ask....Are the new re-issues sounding as good as the old ones ?
They are completely different beasts as far as I can tell - I wouldn't even bother trying to compare a modern solid state amp with an older tube amp. That being said, it sounds great for a modern solid state amp - definitely has more character than most SS bass amps I've tried.