What are the best guitars for small hands - tele or non-tele? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What are the best guitars for small hands - tele or non-tele?

Hey all,

I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of guitars that are easy to play? I have very small hands (only my hands!) lol. Really.
I don't know what style of necks are the thinnest on tele's or any guitar for that matter?
I'd like to go out and buy some guitars but I spend so much time searching for a guitar I like and a neck that I like at the same time.
I'd really appreciate your input here. Maybe I'll have to order something because we're so limited here at our local GS?
It's not fair to hear about all the guitars you guys are buying and here sits poor Hugo getting nothing!

Thanks

hugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like the C shape tele necks but also really like the neck on my Cort G290 (also a c shape but thinner than a tele)for my small hands.

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hugo,
IMHO, just because a neck is small/thin...doesen't mean it is easier to play, even for small hands. A fatter neck fits into yout hand(I feel), and it doesn't fatigue as quickly. I think a Tele is a great guitar for all sizes of hands!
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I remember the Peavey T60 guitar had the slimest neck (Depth wise) I have ever come across, Worth checking if their current batch of guitars still have the same. I have had Fenders and Gibsons but the Peavey was by far the slimest.
Scotele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I second the older Peaveys; very small necks. Squier Affinitys generally seem to have slimmer necks too.
voided3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I do like the feel of the Ibanez necks. Now maybe they aren't thin, I don't know their shape but they felt nice and easy sliding my hand down the neck.
So, if someone is Ibanez savvy, please let me know what stlye of neck they are? I picked up a few to play and they just seemed more comfortable to me.

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.
Poster Extraordinaire

The thinest neck I have is on my Switch (brand) guitar. My hands aren't all that big, but I find that really thin necks like that are a disadvantage.

IMO, you're better off with a neck that fills your hand some.

I find C Tele necks to be about ideal, and I like several V profiles that I've run into. But the shredder thin neck just end up causing muscle problems for me.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior/Special that I thought the neck was unusually fat when I first got it, but I learned how to get along with it, and now it feels great.
Pete Galati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Well, I learned something again on this forum. Just because a neck is thin doesn't mean it's the right neck for small hands. I never thought of how it would affect the muscles. Maybe I just need to get used to a thicker neck. Sometimes it's easier to do what's easier instead of what's best. So....filling your hand is a better idea than not filling it. Thanks.
Bendecaster, my apologies. When I read your response I thought you were full of...well you know. I see the point you were making. I ignored it because I thought I knew better but obviously I don't, since other people agree with you. I reread it just now and you're right. I just was trying to find an easy way out instead of working to get used to it. Also, I wasn't thinking about the ramifications of a smaller neck such as muscle pain. Thanks, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have you tried any of the smaller scale guitars like Fender Mustangs, Broncos, Duo Sonics etc.
I would think that student guitars woud be easier to play. I don't know. I have big hands!
nvosmeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

No, I haven't. These are all fenders? I've never heard of Bronco's or Duo Sonics?

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My '69 has a 7.25" fretboard on a 'C' shape neck. I find it's perfect since my hands aren't all that big either. I can wrap my hand right around it; makes me feel like Jimi!
Stevie 202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The Bonnie Raitt Strat has a very slim neck.

And lets not forget an early 60's Gibson ES355. The slimmest Gibson neck I've played. It's about 1 1/2" wide at the nut.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Consider scale length. I hate to say it because I love my Tele so, but my small hands with very curved pinkies can do reaches better with shorter scale guitars. That said, I still love my Tele more than my PRS.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My son is 12, short, with small hands and he gets around fine on a Standard Strat, a Squier 51, and my Teles.

If you have a chance, check out a G&L Tribute model. Their necks are a nice slim C-shape, and the guitars are sweet!

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i agree with Pete Galati up there. my hands aren't that big either hugo. i had a washburn years back with a "v" neck on it and i liked this. the tele i'm playing now has a "c" neck on it and i love this! the fretboard is a little wider but the neck itself isn't as thick.
scoots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

scale length

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Consider scale length. I hate to say it because I love my Tele so, but my small hands with very curved pinkies can do reaches better with shorter scale guitars. That said, I still love my Tele more than my PRS.
I agree. Have you tried a Rickenbacker? I have very large hands and although I love the sound of Ricks, I simply can't play them due to their small size; their basses are an exception.

Tim

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Who knows you might have an advantage having small hands---I know quite a few excellent guitarists with small hands

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

V neck all the way.

"If you know "how" to play, a Peavey Bandit is all you need."
HOBBSTER01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I, for one, do not like fat necks. They make chording much more difficult for me and cause fatigue. I have a 1981 Washburn SB-30i that has a fat neck, and I find it difficult to play for long periods of time. One of my favorite necks is the "shredder" neck on my mid-80s Charvel Model 2. It's wide and flat, just like my classical guitars. It's much easier to chord with and causes no fatigue. I think that the Standard and Highway One necks are fantastic. I have to rough up the finish on the back of the Standard, but the Highway One was perfect out of the box.

I should probably add that I have large-ish hands with short-ish fingers. If you're at all familiar with golf gloves, I wear a cadetXL left hand glove in FootJoy. That might help you understand my preferences a bit.

Last edited by superchicken_VI; February 6th, 2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: details
superchicken_VI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I like a nice V or U neck. C necks don't do it for me.