Airline travel with guitar - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Airline travel with guitar

I will be flying next week within the US and have read the airline guidelines for traveling with an instrument. What has the experience been? I currently have (1) electric, a 97 American Standard Tele w/ gig bag. Is it worth traveling with? Should I pick up a squire so I won't care if it is mishandled? I would be trying to sneak it in the closet or the overhead, not checking it. Any experiences would be helpful.

Sunrise Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

Take the neck off?

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I was able to get a Tele in a thermometer case into the overhead. We checked a J200 and didn't have any problems even with a transfer. Of course, we were flying to Nashville.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've seen musicians carry on cellos. I believe they have a special compartment for such things. I'd like to hear from someone who's done it though.

I do know you shouldn't check them -

benhenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

Plus, are you making a connecting flight on a smaller airplane? On those, the overhead compartments are tiny.

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Take it as hand luggage, if there is no room in the overhead ask the steward to store it up front. This has never been a problem for me.

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I bought a 2012 Vintage 52 earlier this year and took the neck off and carried it on. No problems. My old man is a travel agent and has booked a number of orchestras on very big tours, usually the bigger cellos and basses have their own seats and pay accordingly.
bigjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a martin backpacker , small acoustic guitar. Going to ohio. I checked the webpage, called the info desk and confirmed that it was ok to bring overhead. The give me some hassle going there but its allowed. On the way back they inform me there are new rules and an faa rep is onboard and there is NO way they will let me bring it on no matter how stupid it all sounded. They made me check my small skinny body acoustic into baggage and I only had an unpadded gigbag for it. It came out ok but I was ready to go postal at the gate. Wouldn't let it in the special magic compartment I hear about or anything. I was convinced the people there were sorry and wanted to do everything they could without getting a $25000 fine or loosing their job.
Bottom line, the government sets the rules, even the airlines don't know how to deal with it and the government doesn't give a flying f***k how much is screws you up. If its not replaceable buy it a seat anything else is a crapshoot but I have done this 7 or 8 times and this was the only prob.
Bottom line is
nomadh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

As a frequent flyer, and a player, I think it's damned inconsiderate to take a cased guitar on a plane and expect to be able to hog overhead space that probably 3 others could use for their carry-ons. If I had to travel with a guitar, I'd take one of my bolt-on's and remove the neck, making it pack nicely in a standard overhead allotment.

The simple fact is that a guitar with the neck attached will NOT fit into any of the "baggage checkers" I've ever seen, and so should simply not be allowed as carry-on baggage.

It does suck, and it's the airlines' greedy fault for not providing some space for reasonable overside carry-ons, but you often see people have to check luggage they shouldn't have to check, that would fit perfectly in an overhead, except some clown has been allowed to carry on his snowboard, or tennis racket in a big case, or big sombrero, or what have you.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I actually bought my Steinberger spirit for this reason. I have flown all over with it, without incident. While its not my Tele, it's definitely gig worthy and has been well received.

Old September 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesire View Post
I actually bought my Steinberger spirit for this reason. I have flown all over with it, without incident. While its not my Tele, it's definitely gig worthy and has been well received.
That reminds me, don't forget the Carvin Holdsworth headless model!

Old September 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
As a frequent flyer, and a player, I think it's damned inconsiderate to take a cased guitar on a plane and expect to be able to hog overhead space that probably 3 others could use for their carry-ons. If I had to travel with a guitar, I'd take one of my bolt-on's and remove the neck, making it pack nicely in a standard overhead allotment.

The simple fact is that a guitar with the neck attached will NOT fit into any of the "baggage checkers" I've ever seen, and so should simply not be allowed as carry-on baggage.

It does suck, and it's the airlines' greedy fault for not providing some space for reasonable overside carry-ons, but you often see people have to check luggage they shouldn't have to check, that would fit perfectly in an overhead, except some clown has been allowed to carry on his snowboard, or tennis racket in a big case, or big sombrero, or what have you.
I agreee 100% with this. It is selfish and rude.

We try and do a trip to Australia once a year. We get charged $60.00 to travel with a guitar as stowed baggage. so the last few times I just undid the strings from the tuners coiled them up and unbolt the neck.

So easy and fits straight in to my bag/suitcase.

No boarding problems, no chance of damage, no extra cost.
Mad Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Every time I've flown with a guitar, I've checked it as baggage. Flew all over the U.S. without a problem.

If I had a really valuable guitar, I would just buy a seat for it, it ain't that expensive and gives piece of mind having it right next to you.
64Strat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thank you for the information. I am a seasoned traveler but have never thought about bringing a guitar until this past couple of months as I have gotten very involved with it. I can relate to all reasonable responses but was looking for some reassurance to go on and do it. I'm not going to take the neck off my one and only but seems like a reasonable thing to do. A second squire like guitar might be in the cards. Thank you for the responses.
Sunrise Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Get a Martin LXM or a Baby Taylor. I think that the LXM's are $275 now (full price). Find an online coupon and buy one for $225 or so. They feel like a real guitar, they are easy to play, no amp required and you won't have trouble taking it on a small plane. You'll also have a nice little acoustic for writing and couch noodling for the rest of your life.

I have flown about 30 times with an LXM both domestic and international and I have never had a problem taking the guitar on any flight. They can go from a frozen car trunk to hot airport without worry. It's a great way to go.

I've had a couple LXM's and one Baby Taylor. I have a black LXM now that I bought on Craigslist for $150 in mint condition. I sold a spruce top LXM about 5 years ago and bought a nice Epi 000 acoustic and thought that I would fly with a "real" guitar and the worry factor drove me nuts at the airports. I never knew what was going to happen with the full sized guitar. I had to gate check it about 1/2 the time. The flight staff members never questioned the LXMs.

LXM info link

MF.com has $50 off $249 or more. You could get an LXM with the nice backpack for $239. You could get a black one and have a small Johnny Cash guitar!

Fun to play anytime anywhere. Easy to fly with. No stress. Spring break family scuba trip March 2013........

You have probably seen the backpack case but they look like this....

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Stratenstein View Post

I was in a band that did about 15 fly dates a year. We would always try and book the least crowded flight we could. Usually something between midnight and 3am, and always get the first boarding. Most of the time the flight would have plenty of overhead space open. Between the four of us we had it down to where all of our instruments, in gig bags, and our little personal stuff would fit in one overhead bin. That was four of us using as much or less than any other four passengers on the plane.
Sure every now and then we would end up on a full flight, and if there was no more open overhead space, I would gate check my guitar, just so others could use the overhead to stuff those gigantic 49 pound suitcases in.
I really don't get what these people are doing with those things, you can only get three of them in an overhead and that can be almost 150 pounds of dirty underwear, socks, shoes and what ever they stuff in their luggage. Honestly I think those are the rude travelers. I can get six instruments in an overhead bin and it would weigh 1/3 of what 3 of those mega suitcases are.
Originality is just undetected Plagiarism!
cowboytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I fly frequently with guitars and check them every time.
Get a good flight case and you can't go wrong.
Don't always expect that they will let you take it as carry on, even if someone from the air
Line says you can.
All it takes is a full flight and a crabby baggage checker or attendant, and you will be left high and dry.
If you have a bullet proof case, you have no need to worry.
It's a worthy investment.
barney77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Carry on. The attendant will put it in the closet by them or in an empty seat. The pic is of Brand New Machines last fly date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130905_053508.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	196612  

Old September 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I travel quite a bit. I put a metal eyelet like the tie downs on a tarp in the top of my travel gig bag. Then I have a modified coat hanger I can use to hang it in one of the closets. Since I have done this I have never had a problem scoring a closet.
You can get the eyelets from Home Depot.
4pickupguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Flew from Tokyo to Paris, then Paris to Nantes (France) on Air France, with my Telecaster without a problem (though the girl at the counter in Narita said: "We'll have to check with the plane crew, if they're OK..." They didn't mind (!!!) and I put the guitar in the overhead compartment (in a lightweight Fender gigbag). Enough room in the compartment of an A 380 Airbus and even an A300 Airbus, even with the "road warriors" massive cabin luggages... The Air France flight attendant even wanted to know about the guitar! So, no problems for me!...
DOC DYA is offline   Reply With Quote