got hit and run today- insurance help - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

got hit and run today- insurance help

Today I was hit and run by an Isuzu NPR landscaping truck. He hit my drivers side, forcing me into the side of a bedrock wall on the side of a mountain. I wasn't hurt (just bruised) but my truck is a total loss in all likelihood.
Does anyone know how insurance values my truck.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2wd crew cab LS with 136,766 miles.
It was near extra clean condition except for mileage before I was hit.
The police caught the guy an hour later but it was not the original driver. It was the owner of the company who stated he had not been in the area where I was hit. The mirror off his truck was missing but the guy who hit me wasn't Caucasian instead he was a dark skinned male who appeared to me to be of Latino or Hispanic descent.
Fortunately I wasn't injured and the police say it's my word against his.
I have full coverage so all is not lost. I just need to know how the insurance will value my truck. Thanks.

"If you know "how" to play, a Peavey Bandit is all you need."
HOBBSTER01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Kelly Blue Book says just under $11K in great shape.

Being a hit and run, I don't know how that plays into it. I hope they make you "whole" with a similar replacement. That sucks, but could have been FAR worse!

http://www.kbb.com/
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Plus one Kelly Blue Book.
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Glad you're ok. Trucks can be replaced but people can't. The insurance co should have ways of tracking who was where and at what time - if they carry a mobile phone anyway. I was rear-ended by a drunk driver who also took off. My car was written off, and the cops couldn't do anything because the car was unregistered and the last registered owner denied knowledge of the incident.

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Doing a report and having the cops locate the vehicle was a plus. Insurance companies have a way of finding out the truth...most of the time. Just let things play out. Glad you're ok.

And get checked out. Accidents, even though minor, can induce a lot of stress.
Mark V Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBSTER01 View Post
Fortunately I wasn't injured and the police say it's my word against his..
Sounds like they just can't be bothered investigating. Next time that guy could kill someone.
goonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ideally the business will be covered by liability and property damage, if not your uninsured and underinsured coverage should kick in.

Carriers do not use KBB to value vehicles, but outsource to entities who do this, using, if I recall correctly, local values and local recent sales.

Be prepared to assert yourself with the adjuster, politely yet firmly, to get as full value for you vehicle as possible. Be familiar with vehicle's condition, options and accessories.
slauson slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

That's rough, I'm glad you're OK.... your poor old Chevvy..awww... bummer..

did he come round a bend on your side and give you no where to go but the inside wall?..

. lucky you were on the inside..... instead of getting shunted over an edge....
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hit and run is extremely serious, I'm surprised the police are not pressing to identify the driver. If it's not the owner then the owner should know who had his vehicle.
sax4blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax4blues View Post
Hit and run is extremely serious, I'm surprised the police are not pressing to identify the driver. If it's not the owner then the owner should know who had his vehicle.

He may have to press the cops on this. Often they prefer to talk folks out of pressing charges to save time and effort on their part. Also adds to the local crime stats and PDs all compete to be the "safest cities". I'm not kidding btw.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would seem to me that if the vehicle was used to conduct business, in this case landscaping, the vehicle would necessarily have to have liability insurance. If the owner has not reported the vehicle stolen then he should be liable for any damages caused by the vehicle, regardless of whether or not his is able/is willing to identify the driver.

I'm only speaking what I believe to be common sense. I know nothing of the law or insurance in this matter.
Norton72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

They should go off the Kelly Blue Book value, but of course they may try and give less, stick to the BB and get something in writing from several dealers as to the value, if you have to.

Last edited by kidmo; August 25th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
kidmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Go after that owner like a duck after a june bug...

- Sadie Thompson
Westerly Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

KBB, and then they use a percentage to total it, like 70%. So if the repairs will cost $9000 on your $11000 truck, it is totaled, and they will send you a check for $11000 minus your deductible. If they can get the other insurance company to pay, there is no deductible.
ApolloMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There 'may' be a hesitation on the part of the owner of that truck in identifying who was driving it due to a possibility of the driver being an undocumented alien which would result in the owner incurring legal difficulties and financial penalties of his own. Unfortunately, this is the only scenario I can fathom which would make sense if the owner of the truck does indeed have insurance.

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-writer View Post
There 'may' be a hesitation on the part of the owner of that truck in identifying who was driving it due to a possibility of the driver being an undocumented alien which would result in the owner incurring legal difficulties and financial penalties of his own. Unfortunately, this is the only scenario I can fathom which would make sense if the owner of the truck does indeed have insurance.
This same statement was made by a member of law enforcement yesterday.

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-writer View Post
This was the 1st thing that occurred to me.

- Sadie Thompson
Westerly Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

They will probably pay pretty good for you truck. I had my work van totalled and I was very pleased with what I recieved. More than I thought the van was worth. The only real thing that counts is that you were not hurt. We ought to get together some time. I am in Ringgold working pretty often.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamClemons View Post
They will probably pay pretty good for you truck. I had my work van totalled and I was very pleased with what I recieved. More than I thought the van was worth. The only real thing that counts is that you were not hurt. We ought to get together some time. I am in Ringgold working pretty often.
call me. I'm in the book.You ever go to Wilborn's? aka Lone Mtn. Music.
BTW If you need to store any of those vintage Fender amps at my place you're more than welcome to do so. lol

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You won't get the Kelly Blue Book price from your company or the other should they decide their insured is liable. But trucks hold their value pretty well and they do use local prices so you might not do too bad. Sounds like the police did a pretty poor investigation.
Mjark is online now   Reply With Quote