Camouflage and hunting - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Camouflage and hunting

I'm watching a movie called On the Ice, about two Native American boys unintentionally kill a third one. They were out on the ice to go seal hunting and were wearing white parkas. At first, I thought those were only worn by soldiers, not thinking that the seals would not be able to see them, I gather.

My real question concerns what non-snow hunters wear. Some wear camo and some have orange safety vests. Are some animals, but not others, not sensitive to that kind of color? Birds, yes/no, deer, yes/no?

My wife, a painter, participated in a conference a few years ago on camouflage. I was surprised to learn it has a very interesting history, especially with ships and tanks.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Whitetail, color blind
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Some only wear orange because they have to. Regulations spell out when one has to wear it - and how much he or she has to wear. Around here... bow hunting = no orange. Rifle (deer season) = lots of orange.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
Some only wear orange because they have to. Regulations spell out when one has to wear it - and how much he or she has to wear. Around here... bow hunting = no orange. Rifle (deer season) = lots of orange.
Same here. Though not 'lots of orange' in MI, but plenty in NW ONT.

I've hunted deer since 1963, usually in thick cover, no people around. When MI passed the blaze orange law I'd wear an orange hat wading into a swamp but take it off once in. I'd throw my orange cap on after the hunt or if I heard a human close enough that I could hear his voice.

But I finally learned that deer don't really react to blaze orange like we do. I've been within 4 yards of really large whitetail bucks, me sitting against a tree, not in some stupid 'box blind--I hate those--and they don't react if you know deer & don't move and so-on. So now I wear an orange hat with any firearm. Or more accurately: during any firearm season even if not hunting.

Same with other animals IME: black bear, timber wolves, caribou, many others. It just does not seem to stand out to them like it does to us.

So...many mammals are somewhat 'color blind' to blaze orange. Birds, not so sure.
Stubee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

never worn camo deer hunting.....I like orange...too many idiots in the woods that shoot at sound.......being still and stealthy are what counts.....the deer I got this year walked within 10 feet of me...looked at me but I was dead still so she didnt see me......when sha got past me I rolled over and and got an instant kill shot.
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
This. That is the law here also.
ApolloMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubee View Post
Same here. Though not 'lots of orange' in MI, but plenty in NW ONT.
Yep;

MITCHIGAN

wear a hat, cap, vest, jacket or rain gear of highly visible orange color, commonly referred to as hunter orange. When hunting in any season with a license that authorizes the use of a firearm, you must wear hunter orange except as noted below. During the November firearm deer season, this law applies to all deer hunters, including those hunting with a bow and arrow. The garment featuring hunter orange must be the outermost garment and must be visible from all sides. Camouflage orange garments, with 50 percent or more of the surface in hunter orange, are legal.

Exception: This law does not apply to persons hunting waterfowl, crow, wild turkey, or to persons engaged in the sport of falconry. It does not apply to archery or crossbow bear hunters or to persons who are stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote or fox. Archery and crossbow deer hunters also are not required to wear hunter orange except during the youth firearm seasons, early antlerless firearm and the November firearm deer season.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

yes, camouflage is very interesting, i remember seeing some whacky designs for ships

and on the subject, read a while ago that chameleons changing their colour has little, if nothing, to do with camouflage

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-D...or-47360.shtml
fuzzbender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Speaking of the history of camouflage, a former MFA spouse studied under Hoyt Sherman and had interesting tales to tell of him.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That reminds me of when I was 7 or 8 and my grandfather used to take me to his hunting club up in South Carolina.

Someone had a guest who was from "Up There" somewhere, and he showed up that morning wearing orange pants held up with orange suspenders,, orange shirt, orange coat, orange hat, orange gloves and shiny black boots.

Every bit of it brand new.

My old grandpa stood there for a few seconds, looking him up and down and finally said,

"Son? Aint you taking an awful chance wearing them black boots?"
TC6969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Though not a hunter and detest it it seems that ,apart from scent ,movement is the key to animals noticing you .Indeed ,how many times do you see an animal or bird before it moves and gives away its position.
musicalmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Hey guys, look at me.. I'm a tree.... what did you do on the weekend?...

< insert pic of Nelson going HA HA! >

"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've done a lot of hunting of game animals. I've worn camo at times but from experience, what I've learned is, that what is much more effective is using the Sun and the wind to your advantage, being quiet and also staying still when their eyes are on you.

Approach with the Sun behind you, approach them into the wind so they can't scent you, move very slowly and quietly using all available cover.... and patience! If you do it right, they never see, smell or hear you.

To me, the most fun of hunting, is finding the game animals and then figuring out the strategy of the approach for the shot.

I stalked these guys (Kudu) for 2-1/2 days before I got the shot. That was supremely satisfying and exhilarating!

64Strat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

On a recent outing to the supermarket I carefully selected a pair of camouflage cargo shorts which enabled me to stealthily sneak up on, and capture a nice crisp head of lettuce, and a very tasty tri-tip.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

Explain:

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Since obviously the audience will not be able to see the instruments, it will appear the members of the band are jumping about on stage manipulating their butt cheeks, and passing gas in such a manner as to simulate the playing of instruments. The audience will be astounded, or not.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This thread got me thinking about camouflage, so I went to the surplus store to get some. I couldn't find any.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Around here we get a ton of tourist hunters. Easily spotted and avoided as they'll be wearing full camo, including face paint, along with the legally required orange vest and hat.
Lostinthe50s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've been told that the large orange vest makes an excellent target IF a deer happens to be armed.