I now understand all the hoopla over Cubanos - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I now understand all the hoopla over Cubanos

I'm not a big cigar guy but I know what is and what isn't good (for me anyway), sometimes after I've spent more money than I should have on a Cuban seed, Hatian, or other cigar. Not that there aren't some really nice smokes outside of the red zone, but I finally got to taste an actual Cubano tonight...and...oh my...

Once you've had a taste of the forbidden fruit how can you go back to Granny Smiths?

Any other cigar lovers out there that can make some recommendations of similar quality stoges?

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've had a couple different Cohiba's. The Siglio VI was pretty amazing. I have smoked Ramon Allones, which were good. Romeo Y Julieta, which were milder than I like, but fine. I've tried some others. They were all good , but many of them weren't any better for my taste than ones I can get at the Tobacco shops. I like full strong flavor, and I like Nicaraguan cigars from the Esteli Region. Joya De Nicaragua are excellent, in the very full flavored category. I forget what they call it, but they make one in a two tone wrapper that is more in the medium/full flavor range. I like Drew Estate Undercrown, and the Liga Privada series, which are hard to find because they are limited production and very good/popular. Perdomo Habano are good. La Gloria Cubana are good. A lot of the Dominican and Nicaraguan etc makers are Cuban expats who fled when Castro took over all the cigar makers, I believe.
LKB3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've only smoked a few cigars, but the Cuban I smoked was a step above the others.

Why the US still refuses to trade with Cuba is completely beyond me!

« Le feu tue » - Philippe Pétain
jjkrause84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I suppose you can get them fairly easily in Canada, not too far away from you guys.

Or is bringing them home a problem? (Hope the thread gets no more political than this.)
Triton Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
(Hope the thread gets no more political than this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkrause84 View Post

I wuz too late!
Triton Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

we get them over here... legally :)
furtherpale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkrause84 View Post
I've only smoked a few cigars, but the Cuban I smoked was a step above the others.

Can't beat a good Cohiba. I could answer your question, but we're not allowed to go political.

Just glad I can pop out and pick up a decent Cuban cigar whenever I feel like it. And a haggis. You don't know what you're missing over there ;-)
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You can still bring them in the U.S., but only a few at a time. Canadians can bring back a whole box.

I had a Honduran cigar a while ago. Never had a Cuban however.
misterbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Update, I was wrong. The prior rule has been revoked. Here's the reply by border control on the question, "Can you import Cuban cigars?"

"No. The allowance for bringing in up to $100 worth of Cuban cigars if you were on authorized travel to Cuba is no longer in effect. All importations of Cuban cigars are illegal, including Cuban cigars that were acquired in other countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico)."
misterbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Cuban cigars are still rather easy to get in the US. You just order them over the web from dealers in places like St. Martin and they ship them directly to you. I have never bought this way myself but I have several friends who do all the time. I've smoked hundreds of Cuban cigars and while a very few have been outstanding, most have been overrated and overpriced.

If I want strong I buy Nicaraguan or Honduran. If I want smooth I buy Dominican. There are some excellent alternatives to Cubans - with much more consistent quality - available in the $80-$120 a box range,
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Why couldn't the Cubans just place a sticker on the box that says "Made in America"...then get the Dominican to export them to the US?

A no-brainer.
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
Why couldn't the Cubans just place a sticker on the box that says "Made in America"...then get the Dominican to export them to the US?

A no-brainer.
Funny you should say that as it's basically what happens to the Cuban cigars sold out of St. Martin (and other places in the Caribbean). They are re-branded, re-boxed and re-shipped to the USA. You have to really trust the supplier but most of these guys have been in business a long time and are very reliable. In fact I think you have a much better chance of buying counterfeit Cuban cigars in Cuba, than from these guys.
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I way I understand it, if you buy single cigars in the islands, you just might get a counterfeit Cuban cigar. Buy a sealed box and you're most likely gonna get the real thing.

I've had a few Cubies over the years and for the most part, the ones that were confirmed REAL Cuban cigars were very good to incredible. Had a few that were SUPPOSED (unconfirmed) to be Cuban that were real dogs though...

I've smoked cheapies to $25 cigars and one of the best bargains out there are the Dominican Don Diego Playboy - a bit on the mild side, but a nice smooth smoke...

Old June 18th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Padron Aniversario.

Nicaraguan. Incredible.
tiskit86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Partagas D4. Nuff said.

Always keep some on hand.
screamin eagle is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Of my top ten cigars (and I smoke a lot) only two were Cuban. Most of the time I smoke anything by Ernesto Carrillo (epc, la Gloria etc.) or anything by don pepin Garcia (601, San cristobal) but I like a strong cigar. Anything by pardon is hard to beat as well.
twick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Telefied

Like a lot of Canadians, I've been to Cuba, but I don't smoke!

Old June 18th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post

A no-brainer.
If they are going to falsely designate the origin and ship from the Dominican, wouldn't it make far more sense to mark them "Made In Dominican Republic"? Customs personnel aren't the brightest and most ambitious to end up with those jobs but they're generally smart enough to impound any imports falsely marked "Made In USA" which they catch them.

Old June 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm perfectly content smoking Dominicans and a few Hondurans, Nicaraguans, and Puerto Ricans.

There is a small shop in Griffin, GA that surprises by its existence and success. It is called Lola's Cigars and if you saw the town and location, you'd be surprised that people that know how to roll cigars ended up there. But they did and they've been successful. They rebuffed my suggestion of a good website because they can't get enough material or roll enough if the orders explode.

https://plus.google.com/107811629365...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Old June 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Any other cigar lovers out there that can make some recommendations of similar quality stoges?
Yeah, whenever I visit up in Canada or down in Mexico I try to have one. Oddly enough, because of the embargo the quality of Cuban cigars is not what it was back in the 50's and 60's. But when you find a good one it's really good.

And sometimes, they're just average. Just like all other cigars. You find a brand you like and go with it.

BTW, among cigar guys we often refer to Cubans as an "ISOM" cigar.

ISOM = "Island South Of Miami"

as in "Hmm, this is a pretty nice cigar. What kind is it?"

"It's a pretty generic ISOM."

Or "I'm sending you something from my collection which I hope you enjoy. I forget where I got it but I think it came from some ISOM."

I'm partial to Rocky Patel vintage 1990 and 1992 as well as the Gurka Nepalese Warrior. I also like the Cuban Crafters Cameroon style.