Back Injury Update - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 14th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Back Injury Update

I know everyone has been asking themselves "hey, i wonder how Bones' back is, haven't heard from him on that topic in a few weeks".

Well, everything is really good, been working full time for a few weeks now and am perfectly fine climbing on ladders and stuff. Still not lifting/carrying much weight, 40 pounds seems to be about the max without feeling a little something.

My left foot is still numb, sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly at all. My neurologist thinks this will last for a year or so. He also thought I would need surgery, so hopefully he's wrong about the year. Aside from the numbness though, i don't have any other pain or discomfort.

In the the three months since this has happened, I have lost 28 pounds and am wearing pants with a 34 inch waist, down from 38. Losing some weight and continuing with the exercises they tell you to do really seems to be the key, at least for my issues, which is a pretty much screw lumbar region.

My DO is astounded by my progress and my neurologists is equally happy to have been proven wrong about needing surgery. My insurance company is so impressed, they have disallowed any more physical therapy, which make sense of course, because why waste money trying to keep my back healthy

When I was in PT, I would see people in pain and discomfort and barely getting around and my therapist would tell that their conditions were not nearly as bad as mine, but they didn't have the will to make changes or the drive to do the work and that my results (for my problems) should be the rule not the exception.

Anyway, I know a lot of people here have been having similar issues and i just want to encourage them them to keep working at it. I know how painful it is, but you can get over these things if you follow the prescribed path of treatment and convince yourself that you can beat it. You will have to make sacrifices and you will have to put your health and yourself first, for some of you, that may be the hardest thing, especially you guys with families, but there's no other way to do it IMHO you have to become selfish to a degree and take care of yourself first so you can be there in good health again when others need you. Make no mistake, I'm not out of the woods yet and I have to be careful not to have a major set-back while my back is healing, but I am living a normal life, walking upright and feeling really good about my long term ability to stay on top of this.

Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

good for you, Bones!!
Hope you continue to get better every day!
bullfrogblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Cool
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are on the ball; Congrats...

I developed an immediate mistrust and/or disappointment with the various members of the medical community as regards my cervical problem the 1st time around, but as I currently and gradually overcome my 4th (over about a decade) bout with it, I am coming to the conclusion that I need to give them another go and become more proactive about it.

- Sadie Thompson
Westerly Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What have you been doing that is effective? Stretching and exercises?
LKB3rd is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Good to hear you're back out there doing stuff again Bones.. take care..

you're a tall bloke by the sounds of it.... all I can suggest is...

NEVER !!.. bend over from the waist to pick something up off the ground.. not even a feather...

curtsey.. not bow.... bend those knees to go down.. straight back ..and use your legs for lifting , not your back...

and tense those gut muscles... :)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Glad your back is back and you're back to you old self.

(see what I did there?)
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Good work! Glad your situation has improved.
AirBagTester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Glad the back is doing better, nothing's worse than severe back pain. I'm sure the weight loss helps as well. I lost 60 LBS after getting sick, gained about 7 LBS back and have held steady ever since. My joint's thank me every morning.
Jamie Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Glad you're doing better Bones, attitude is everything. If you think you can get better you probably will. If you don't you won't, which I suppose makes you right either way.

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Telefied

I could tell from your beautiful photography that you were having less pain.

But the underlying spinal defect is still there. This is just whether the nerve is being trapped/crushed by the vertebral body or not at the moment.

Bravo losing the weight. Reduced weight, but retained trunk or core muscle tone and "posture" I guess is the difference between being kinda like others and being in terrible straits.

You got your wake up call, you heeded it really well, now just don't forget this is there.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Do you have any flexibility issues?
6942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had my epidural injection 2 days ago and the miracle hasn't happened yet, but I went for a swim in my 68 degree pool an hour ago (ruptured L5, S1). I go to my first PT on Tuesday, hoping I can work this thing out as well.

Good for you.
DaBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBender View Post
I had my epidural injection 2 days ago and the miracle hasn't happened yet, but I went for a swim in my 68 degree pool an hour ago (ruptured L5, S1). I go to my first PT on Tuesday, hoping I can work this thing out as well.

Good for you.
My L5/S1 is herniated with extrusions on both sides and stenosis on both sides and spinal canal. L4/L5 herniated with stenosis on right side the rest of my lumbar discs are bulging.

I did not do the epidural route, did two weeks on oral steroids, one week of Oxycontin and valium. About 6 weeks on Aleve and some acetaminophen for quick relief when needed. Sometimes the epidurals work, sometime they don't , I muscled my way through the evaluation for them and was able to keep those in the bank for a later date if needed.

Make sure you do what the therapist tells you to do and give them as much information as you can about what you are experiencing, the more information, the better they can help you.

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6942 View Post
Glad to hear you are doing better!

Do you have any flexibility issues?
More out of an abundance of caution than anything else. My L5/S1 is basically gone and while it will hopefully heal it will never get any thicker than it is now, so i have a serious potential for bone on bone contact down the road. Because of that, i need to be very careful as my recovery continues. In some ways, I'm more flexible from all the stretching I have been doing, the rest of my back and legs are very loose now.

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
I could tell from your beautiful photography that you were having less pain.

But the underlying spinal defect is still there. This is just whether the nerve is being trapped/crushed by the vertebral body or not at the moment.

Bravo losing the weight. Reduced weight, but retained trunk or core muscle tone and "posture" I guess is the difference between being kinda like others and being in terrible straits.

You got your wake up call, you heeded it really well, now just don't forget this is there.
Right.

The numbness in my foot is a constant reminder to be careful, if it goes away completely, i will have to find another reminder. I'm super careful about getting in and out of my truck and making sure I'm sitting right and not slouching.

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

45 years ago, little rear end accident. Severe whiplash. Has bothered me every day since. 30 years ago, slipped on some ice. Three compressed verts. Has bothered me every day since. Numbness in feet. It's not my spine that hurts though. It's muscles that are being knotted up from nerves being pinched. Makes my ribs hurt. I've tried just about everything you could think of. Awakened 6 times last night from the pain. Pretty much given up.
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
When I was in PT, I would see people in pain and discomfort and barely getting around and my therapist would tell that their conditions were not nearly as bad as mine, but they didn't have the will to make changes or the drive to do the work and that my results (for my problems) should be the rule not the exception.
...I'm not out of the woods yet and I have to be careful not to have a major set-back while my back is healing, but I am living a normal life, walking upright and feeling really good about my long term ability to stay on top of this.
That's good news slim. Sometimes healing has to start in the mind.

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

congrats. it's a long way from 38 to 34.

you wearing a brace/belt when yr lifting or carrying stuff? 40lbs can torque you good if you twist on a bad disc.
k.l.k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, this is great news about your progress!

Keep us posted.