Does Google Chrome Stink or What - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Telefied

Does Google Chrome Stink or What

I had heard about this, then it happened to me.

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention; I allowed some updates to be installed in something, can't even recall what.

Next thing I know, Google Chrome has installed itself.

And everything stops working.

Actually, everything went wrong and I went troubleshooting and discovered it was suddenly there.

Question:

Would it stink just as bad if I had decided for some crazy reason I wanted it?

boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

i was having trouble with firefox...so i switched to chrome...seems ok to me

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pittiful View Post
Me too.

I use Google calender on my phone and to organize my contacts, and it's been the best, most stable browser I've used since the early days of Netscape... Ah, the good old days!

Seriously, Chrome is my preferred browser these days.
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Chrome is amazing. Best browser IMO.
misterbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I love Chrome. It's the fastest browser for newer web sites.

I had Firefox, but it has become so bloated that it runs slowly and takes up too much memory.
rghill is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Telefied

I was hoping someone could help me understand the mechanism of what may have been happening to my computer.

I'm glad you guys are having no problems, I really am, but honestly right now what I'd like to do is hear from someone who has had trouble. I am not going to learn anything from those of you who have had no trouble.......yet.

+

But, the good news was just as soon as I got the thing uninstalled, everything seems to be repaired as good as new. No more crashes, uninvited guests, inability to get to TDPRI and a lot of other sites.

If Chrome is so great, why did my computer first almost get thrown out the window and why is it fine now that the thing is uninstalled? :^

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

But, the good news was just as soon as I got the thing uninstalled, everything seems to be repaired as good as new.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well there you go! you done good son. LOL

Boris, the solution is to keep that google crap off your computer! LOL
I bet you can find a bunch of other stuff that came in the backdoor when you werent lookin.
Remember that when you download so-called "free" software, it will invariably also install one or two other programs (such as Chrome) that you gave permission for as you didnt read the fine print options in the "free" software installer. Thats how the -free- software makes money, other people pay them to sneak stuff onto your HD.

Other than utube, anything google is kept far away from my computers

I tried Chrome, it seemed creepy and dictatorial so I quickly went back to Firefox
millions love chrome for their own reasons, I dont.

I greatly prefer Firefox for my 12 yr old mac, my 8yr old Ibm/Ubuntu and my 5yr old MSI Wind/Win7

for quick deep searches of the webs I use Dogpile, quick and clean and unlike Google does not keep a record of my queries for a lifetime. In fact it plants no cookies at all. Aother plus is when I click a found link it opens that link in a new tab so I can quickly come back if I dont like 1st choice.

I use ANY email but gmail, when I delete an email I want it erased off the server not kept for a lifetime like gmail does.
Teletubbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Opera is the best. Chrome gets snuck in with other downloads and comes with tons of.... issues. Don't let google own you, I say. Yahoo did a deal with mozilla firefox and tries to get me to "upgrade" when I check yahoo mail, but I don't fall for it.

Eff 'em.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Me, too. A couple of weeks ago, my computer started crashing every time I played a video in Firefox, so I switched to Google Chrome.

Skullysounds
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The main reason I love chrome: I can open it on the desktop, then pull up the same pages in the chrome app on my iPod. Access all bookmarks, history, everything- cause its all sync'd.
andrewsadlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Opera is the best. Chrome gets snuck in with other downloads and comes with tons of.... issues. Don't let google own you, I say. Yahoo did a deal with mozilla firefox and tries to get me to "upgrade" when I check yahoo mail, but I don't fall for it.

Eff 'em.
I'm trying to recall. I was having issues with the Photobucket thingie, called their support and they suggested I do an update. Like you say, the Chrome thing was snuck in there with the other updates. Photobucket got a little better, still not right and then all these unsolicited webpages start popping up, blocking me from accessing anything net related. One had a 1-800 number and I called them and they mentioned Google Chrome and I went back and discovered it got snuck in during the update. As ya'll know, computers, well, Bubba cannot be an expert at everything, but I felt it was really well concealed. Took this arrested development computer user a while to find it and I don't remember having to work that hard to do such a thing before.

How is one supposed to feel about a product that sneaks in the back door? Doesn't this set off a sense that maybe we're letting an outfit get to big for their britches? Whether they seem to get the job done at the moment or not.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It was working great until I tried to get my DVD player working on the laptop. Then I picked up something called "White Smoke," a tool bar that I can't get rid of. Now it's as bad as Explorer especially with Facebook where it used to work real well.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.”
― Woody Guthrie
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Boris, did you do an adobe or java update recently?

"There is no such thing as 'part freedom'." - Nelson Mandela
Redd Volkaert is a Master Jedi at one with the Force!!!
garytelecastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsadlon View Post
The main reason I love chrome: I can open it on the desktop, then pull up the same pages in the chrome app on my iPod. Access all bookmarks, history, everything- cause its all sync'd.
See, I don't do an iPod and I won't until the assembly plants open up somewhere else. I don't know of any advantages for the straight up desktop only user. I don't want things tied together - the thought of everything crashing at the same time sounds like a colossal Nightmare.

I could use one of those big Pizzas from Tony's, right across from the Courthouse there in DeLand. You still haven't mentioned eating there. What's up with that?

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Boris, did you do an adobe or java update recently?
What happens is that chrome is added to a download of a program such as flashplayer and you end up installing it w/o knowing about it.
They have it on the install exe all set to install and you actually have to refuse the download of Chrome, otherwise it gets installed with the software you are installing.
If you are not the one that conciously installed Chrome you can go to "control panel" > then to "uninstall a program"> gp tp Chrome and uninstall.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Chrome shows up as a "recommended" piggyback install with a bunch of stuff. Chrome also likes to install toolbars that cause some havoc for me at work. I wish people would be more diligent about not clicking things they don't read first, but of course nobody can be expected to fend off every attack. I even more wish that companies that profess a desire to not "be evil" were more diligently up front with their installation procedures.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Chrome is heaven compared to Bing....you need a degree in computer engineering to uninstall it..........grrrrrr

ROADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADMAN View Post
Chrome is heaven compared to Bing....you need a degree in computer engineering to uninstall it..........grrrrrr

+1

I hate Bing.

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsadlon View Post
that is super nice to get them all sync'd. Im always adding then wanting the url on another machine

Firefox does the same, has for a couple years. It wont do it automagically though I dont think.
Teletubbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbluesman View Post
Chrome is amazing. Best browser IMO.
I agree.
harold h is offline   Reply With Quote