Jamey Johnson - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Jamey Johnson

Hi Guys, I'm a Jamey Johnson fan, but I was wondering how many others on this Forum are Jamey fans too. The first Album I got was "That Lonesome Song"
and I was knocked out by Jameys' voice and his delivery of songs. I then bought "The Dollar" which apparently was his first album, since then I've bought the double album "The Guitar Song". I just love his stuff, even songs recorded by others such as Vern Gosdin & Waylon Jennings that Jamey has covered have been great versions. I just hope that someday he'll get to tour Australia, especially Western Australia. Yet I don't think anyone else has given him a mention on here. So, what d'ya think of Mr Johnson, does he do anything for you guys??... Al

Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I ve got a couple of his and I do like his music just wish he d lighten up a bit now and again. Do a few more uptempo numbers.
glyn bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Excellent talent, abused by the music industry.
Blustele is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like him. I saw a clip of him on Youtube doing a show for George Jones' 80th birthday and killing it. He's a good songwriter, too. That's harder than being a good singer, IMO.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I like him a lot. Really hope he will go to Sweden some day, in a small club venue, i'll be there.
stinkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I dig his stuff. The way country should be done.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

He is a monster talent, but it seems he has a hard time staying focused and on track.

His first album was actually "They Call Me Country," and although it has a few good songs, overall it is not as strong as That Lonesome Song and The Guitar Song. The latter is a brilliant two disc album.

You can listen to They Call Me Country on youtube. Just use his name and album title and you'll find songs like The Beer Song and Old Maple Guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg78vd0vj3A

BNA dropped him, and MCA Nashville/Universal Music picked him up.

Presently, he has an album of covers of Hank Cochran songs. I have no idea how an album of covers with no release of singles advances his career or fits into a gameplan.

When he plays live, sometimes he performs with just an acoustic and is drunk and sloppy. Sometimes he is drunk and sloppy with his band. I've hard a lot of negative feedback from fans when they made it to see him live for the first time. He is abusing his fans and not delivering quality for their dollar. I personally believe he is messing up and leaving money on the table because he is not consistently releasing and promoting singles to country radio and has not developed a reputation for a killer live show.

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I d/loaded his album of Hank Cochran songs from iTunes onto my iPad, now I've got to find a way of transferring it to my PC so I can burn a copy to disc for use in my car. I'd forgotten about "They Call Me Country" which I bought a year or so ago.. I just hope Jamey doesn't fall by the wayside like a few others have from their use of alcohol/drugs. Al
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Jamey is a HUGE talent iin my opinion..The REAL DEAL.
Jamey comes fromt the school of Waylon and Willie where he will blaze his own trail and not submit to the record label thing

He is good friends with Shooter Jennings..They did a Crossroads together on CMT.

I get the feeling that Jamey's speed is a bit slower when it comes to songs sort of like a Merle Haggard. What I mean by that is I don't think you will see a lot of uptempo fast beat songs by him. He writes them and sings them in a more slow Merle Haggard kind of tempo
Badabing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've saw Jamey twice. Yep,he's the real deal. I do wish he would clean up a little so he could get more radio play. I really don't think he gives a *****.

....play skillfully with a loud voice. Ps.33:3
telekaster1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like him.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

awesome one of the last hopes for true country music
Brian J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

He gave a heck of a show at the Fillmore over here in San Francsico last year. I don't have any of his albums but I would see him again in a heartbeat. I noticed his guitarist's main guitar was a black tele that was routed for a humbucker in the bridge but had a single coil rigged in it. I wonder if he does his own guitar work...? That would be kind of cool.
McGlamRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I thought I heard somewhere that he was more into writing, than performing? Don't know, but the guy is as close to "traditional" country as we are likely to get in this day and age. I like him, but I too, wish he would clean up the act a bit.
motwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Saw him live in Baton Rouge at the Texas Club right about the time that In Color was blowing up the radio. He and his band sat there and blasted through the cd that In Color is on, in the exact order that it is on the CD. After they played the last song, he said as long as my cup is full, I'll play all night. He stood there for 4 hours playing a couple of originals and whatever covers came to his mind.I tend to like this kind of performance, it's what I grew up around, just a bunch of ole boys hanging out and making GREAT music. He may have had a buzz but he was a long way from toasted.

As for the person that commented that they wish he would cleanup, that would go directly against what he supposedly stands for. That's why he doesn't get as much radio air time, and he doesn't seem worried about it, he is gonna do his music and if the execs in Nashville don't like it, oh well. I guess he's trying to follow in Waylon's footsteps, a Nashville Rebel.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't listen to country, so I know nothing about Jamey. But my band started playing In Color and we just kill with it every time it gets performed. People love it, they dance, fun stuff.

So ya Jamey Johnson is great.

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn bob View Post
I ve got a couple of his and I do like his music just wish he d lighten up a bit now and again. Do a few more uptempo numbers.

No kidding. I do love most of his music but I saw him live...................longest hour of my life. Every song as far as I remember was.......................dragging..........on.... ........and ............on.

Great talent, singer songwriter......................not so great live.

That's not a bad thing though.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Saw him at Six Strings at Sunset a few years ago. He had just released In Color and it was a great show. Ashton Shepard, Jewel,Lee Wright and Josh Gracin were the lineup. Although he didn't perform but 5 or 6 tunes, it was fantastic. His banter and one liners kept the crown in stitches between tunes.

"If you know "how" to play, a Peavey Bandit is all you need."
HOBBSTER01 is offline   Reply With Quote