Counting Crows cancel 2 shows in NZ - very disappointing! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Counting Crows cancel 2 shows in NZ - very disappointing!

I bought tickets for the Wellington concert almost as soon as the gig was announced. I've been a fan of the band since I first heard 'Mr Jones' on the radio and seeing them on Jools Holland's programme way back in 1993.

I travelled into town on Saturday night only to find a notice on the concert hall door saying that the gig had been postponed until Sunday night due to illness. No big deal although a bit of a let-down.

Sunday evening, I go back into town, get into the hall, sit through a fairly average 30 minute set by a local singer songwriter and wait expectantly for the Crows to take the stage. All the gear is warmed up, instruments get their final tuning and eventually the keyboard player, Charlie Gillingham, comes out on stage and announces that Adam Duritz isn't able to sing tonight again! Sorry folks but at least you'll get your money back!

Over the two nights I'd travelled around 100kms to get to these gigs but there were many who had come from a lot further afield and had even paid for flights and accommodation to see the band.

All very disappointing for me but I thought 'well maybe he's got a sore throat or come down with some nasty bug that he just can't shake but then it's in the papers today that he'd done the soundcheck around 5pm on Sunday and everything was as good as gold but between that time and the start of the gig something had gone bad!

I've read reports today that he's suffered from some problems with stage-fright recently as a result of some 'medication issues' but I'm sorry but that just doesn't sit well with me. While I can sympathise with anyone having health issues, I don't think that stage fright in a professional musician is really a satisfactory excuse for cancelling shows and not at least having the decency to come out and talk to the very people who've put them in the position they're in.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and quite possibly I don't know the full facts but I think the he may just have lost the band some fans as a result of what's happened here.

I'd love to be proved wrong about this but, from where I'm sitting it looks like he's been just a wee bit too precious about himself and losing sight of the reason he's doing what he's doing...........

Rant over..............!!

Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Damn. I feel for you. When I was in college, we drove to Raleigh from 40 miles away to find the show cancelled. (Everyone told us it was all over the radio, but we didn't listen to the radio). This was 1994, so no real internet at the time.

Saw them in 1996/7 and someone in the band was sick. It was an "OK" show. Saw them again later that year/tour and they were all well and it was a great show.

Stage fright issues could be a related to a medical issue. I'd have sympathy as a man's livelihood and a good deal of their persona is intermixed with that. My job is significantly different, but what a mess I'd be if I couldn't do it.
Flat6Driver is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's pretty well documented that he has some fairly significant issues; he's acknowledged that he suffers from a dissociative disorder. I don't think 'stage fright' is likely an accurate description for why the show was cancelled. Disappointing nonetheless.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I was working video for the first Voodoo Fest in New Orleans about 7 or 8 years ago and they closed out the show. I had always liked the band but they really impressed me even more live. Killer vocals and guitar with some tasteful accordian in the mix. This was after Macy Grey made a drunken or drug addled nasty spectacle on stage.
choupique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've read reports today that he's suffered from some problems with stage-fright recently as a result of some 'medication issues' but I'm sorry but that just doesn't sit well with me. While I can sympathise with anyone having health issues, I don't think that stage fright in a professional musician is really a satisfactory excuse for cancelling shows and not at least having the decency to come out and talk to the very people who've put them in the position they're in.

Geez whatever happened to, "That'll keep you going for the show....c'mon it's it's time to go...."?
Maricopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any insight into the particulars of the shows in NZ, but I know Adam a little bit and he's a trouper. He has his issues like anybody (according to the funny papers, nothing we've discussed), but if he had to cancel a show for voice troubles, I know it's not something he wouldn't take lightly.

He just put together a 25 band bill of unsigned, up and coming bands that he likes called the Outlaw Roadshow at SXSW in Texas last week and he goes way out of his way to encourage young bands. I've carried an AC30 with him- helping a band load out after a show he was at, he's that kind of guy. All that I know about him says that he really truly loves and appreciates the Crows' fans and he would never fly all the way to New Zealand and cancel a show unless he just couldn't sing.

You know, it's a lot of pressure for bands playing in New Zealand; you guys have Neil Finn running around! Visiting bands have to be on top of their game.

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I saw them in the spring of 03 and it was an AMAZING show. Sucks that they had to cancel.

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

That's crappy about your travel and time spent. But think of it this way: The band flew all the way from North America with their gear and set it all up just to end up packing it up and going home without playing or getting paid. It MUST have been a pretty good reason to cancel in that sort of situation.
Minivan Megafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm sure the band might have all been gutted at not getting to play but probably not as gutted as the many people who had parted with flight and accommodation costs to get to Wellington! I've seen comments in the local press about people having paid $400/500 plus the ticket price. That's some serious money just to watch a gig.

I think it was the fact that it happened two nights in a row and the band had posted a pic on a blog of them soundchecking and saying that he was singing well just an hour or two before the gig was due to start that has caused the most annoyance with fans. From that I assume that it wasn't a 'vocal' problem but perhaps the other health issues that were more of a factor.

As Pete Townshend is quoted as saying to Clapton when EC became ill halfway through a show 'Is this what you call showbusiness? They've paid to see you so get out and give them what they want'
Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote