Don't Be A Dumb*** Like Me - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Don't Be A Dumb*** Like Me

Yesterday after my guitar lesson I went up to my shop to spray a couple of bodies. I needed to mount a couple of wood hanging blocks on the neck pockets so the necks could be hung to dry. Instead of piloting the hole and then putting the screw into the block, I decided to save time and just put the screw straight into the wood block. The block cracked, the drill slipped and I essentially impaled my fret hand index finger with a phillips head bit. The phillips head part of the bit was about halfway in my finger when I pulled it out. Just before it started bleeding, as I was pulling it out, I though I saw some white ( I hope to heck it wasn't the bone ). It bled for hours ( and I am a clotting god ). I got so tired of putting on new gauze pads that I just used a cotton cloth and duct tape to hold it in place until bedtime. My finger is now swelled up like a summer sausage and goes from dead numb to hurting like crazy. After a night of ice, anti - inflammatory pills by the fistfull and bandaging, this is what I am left with. If I don't lose the nail I will be very lucky. Folks, Red Foreman is right. Bad things do happen to dumbasses. Don't be a dumbass like me. Someday I will tell the story of trying to use my dad's Ka-Bar to cut a cardboard box when I was a teen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creepy Cat 378.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	169401  

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly.

It's amazing what can happen in a flash. We've all been there in one way or another.

Sorry about the stress.

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yep it seems every time I try to "save a little time" something bad happens. Speedy recovery thoughts

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Your scare tactics won't work. I'm going to continue to make guitars no matter how dangerous you try yo make it seem.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyBlues View Post
Your scare tactics won't work. I'm going to continue to make guitars no matter how dangerous you try yo make it seem.
Dude, that is just plain funny.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

YOW!

Weird how fingers seem to be more painful than other parts of the body when injured. I guess because there are lots of nerve endings there. Maybe play it safe and get a tetanus shot.

Looks like a good opportunity to take a week off for vacation.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yep, cutting corners means cutting fingers> for me anyhow! Your not the only dumbass!!

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When I was a child i used to like to catch little creatures. This ranged from toads to bugs. One time I took a jar and I needed to punch holes in the lid for air. I used an ice pick to do so. I was stabbing away putting these holes in, while holding the jar still with my left hand. I totally missed my mark and the ice pick went about a quarter to third an inch in that part of the hand between the thumb and index finger. The really fleshy part. Despite being only about 8 years old I didn't start crying like crazy. Not because of me being tough, but more so I was in shock of what I just saw, plus it really was not painful (Maybe there aren't a lot of nerves there?) I yanked the ice pick out and hardly any blood came out. Then continued putting more holes in.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Too late. I already have been. Whenever I get hurt by a tool it's because I do something I know better than to do, usually in a hurry.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Did exactly that myself. Different method of mistake though,,, was driving screw up into counter top,screw snapped in two, no pilot hole, drove the Phillips bit right into the meat of my LH palm , below the thumb. Bled like hell, hurt a lot. One suggestion,, if still within the 48 hr window, submerge hand in ice water as long as you can stand it, repeatedly. will cut down on swelling and nerve damage due to it. Sorry you are in pain, it does make a great party story for a few days though,, lol,,, of course ya gotta blame it on defective wood,,,,,,,,,,,

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ouch! Been there, done that, got the scars. Here's some good news, according to my buddy who works for the county morgue, the white you see when you do this type of thing is probably fat cells, not bone.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ouch! that made me cringe. I hope you heel quickly and don't lose much guitar time.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I slipped with a sharp chisel the other day, right to the bone left hand index finger...

dumb....

castpolymer, maybe time for a tetanus shot

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I did the same thing driving a 3" screw into an old petrified wood floor joist.

I was using the impact driver so I also got a couple of rat-a-tat's after the initial impact. Hurt like he11, and looked very similiar to your wound.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Haven't you always wanted to play like Django? Now's your chance.....

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A good time to learn slide...

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

OUCH! Been there, done that, numerous times. Last time I split the tip of my left thumb wide open with a Phillips bit. Duct tape is a great emergency bandage. Also good to use over a regular bandage to give you some extra protection if you need to work with your hands, but will keep all air out so don't leave it on all day. Hopefully there's no permanent nerve damage, My thumb healed back fine with no numbness, but a deep slice on the side my left middle finger is still numb, 3 years later.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

"Clotting God" would be an excellent user name.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Watch the veins on your arm and compare it to your other arm , just in case

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've done several things like that when I was much younger.

I was washing a serrated knife with a green pad and ran my finger down the sharp edge. A bit later, I was creating starting holes in the dash of my '74 Nova so I could mount a, either a cassette player or a CB, and using a lock blade when it unlocked and closed on the same finger. That went to the bone.

I've had friends lose fingertips on a tablesaw because they didn't use a push board and friends lose up to the first knuckle because they were cleaning the chain on the motorcycle (in the wrong direction) and get caught between the chain and sprocket.

I was stuck up in Alaska with a flat on my bike. A guy in a truck had stopped to help and we were able to get the front wheel up but couldn't get the underbody past the edge. I'm standing there holding the bike on a 2x6 and I asked if he had a jack. Maybe we could put the jack under the 2x6 and raise it up just enough to get the bike on the truck. As he's getting the jack, I'm thinking "how could this go wrong?" "How would this look on YouTube?" I stopped him and left the bike, getting a ride back to Fairbanks.

So I'm learning from others

I agree with the others. If you haven't had a tetnus shot recently, you might want to get one. I'm a computer professional, you play guitar. Our fingers are our instruments.

Carl

Closed Thread