Problems with the super...here we go - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Problems with the super...here we go

I noticed that the top outlet in my bedroom is very loose and the plug easily moves in there and falls out. I first tried to plug my cell phone charger which is not grounded and it slipped out. Then I tried the laptop charger which is grounded but it would it go in. Apparently the grounded socket has something in there. The bottom outlet seems better, still loose but not as much. And they both charged but I didn't want to leave anything in there.

So I called the super and he's reacting like he has no clue what I'm talking about. I kept explaining it and he asks, we'll what do you want to plug in there anyway? So I rattle off some obvious things but I am annoyed as all hell. Because its clear that he's already trying to find a way around replacing this thing. But his can I? I need a lamp next to my bed, and I'd like to charge my phone next to my bed too.

So he's coming on Friday to "check it out". i am already anticipating him saying its not a big deal and to spread the prongs to make it stay in. And I am beyond annoyed at his condescending tone with me, as if *I* don't know what I'm talking about. But I read online that anything loose is always a fire hazard. And if I could be sure a fire could happen without any injury to people, I'd be more ham happy to risk it and be all....TOLD YOU! but of course that's no joking matter and my life as well as others could be in danger.

Or is a loose outlet really not that big a deal, other than the plug falling it and you think your stuff is charged and its not?

Old February 28th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Lots of typos in there....I meant to say the grounded plug will not go in to the outlet , because something is blocking the grounded socket.

Old February 28th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

if youre concerned they should check it out no questions asked

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pittiful View Post
if youre concerned they should check it out no questions asked
II'd rather have it replaced and be sure it's safe, than guess that its probably safe and be dead when it turns out it wasn't.

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Start off on the right foot with this person or it only goes downhill. Joke with them about it and say you were worried the whole place would burn down because you were charging your phone! Keep it jovial. Even replacing the whole socket unit is CHEAP! Try to relay to them your concern without being antagonistic. Keep smiling and offer them a lemonade or something while they are there if it needs to be repaired. Do not let them use your equipment to test the socket. Get something like an extension cord with a 3 prong to try it out. Plug your item into the extension, not the socket. Chances are the extension won't go in anyhow. Just be icky nice or they will turn on you and then it is crappy forever after. JMHO

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Don't use it until your Supt. repairs it. The part is cheap and easy to replace, but the correct circuit breaker must be switched off. Should not be a problem for the Supt. Make sure to point out that the ground socket is plugged. If no action, write to the owner of the building. Good luck!
LS-2>Fender Volume>Rogue Delay>FRV-1>Jamman
Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele-rain View Post
II'd rather have it replaced and be sure it's safe, than guess that its probably safe and be dead when it turns out it wasn't.
the guy was giving you a problem with checking it out...he should not ...he should just ask when is the best time to come check it out

Old February 28th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
Don't use it until your Supt. repairs it. The part is cheap and easy to replace, but the correct circuit breaker must be switched off. Should not be a problem for the Supt. Make sure to point out that the ground socket is plugged. If no action, write to the owner of the building. Good luck!
That's what I plan to do. If he give me grief Friday, I will simply write to the landlord. Unfortunately I don't have any way to contact him but a PO Box, no email or phone #. But I will be polite and not accusing, I will just state that I really would prefer to have the outlet changed.

Old February 28th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Have some cookies waiting for him...
Badabing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It's no big deal, but a big annoyance

it should be checked & replaced
homesick345 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Replacing a bad outlet is Super 101. It shoiuld take about 10 minutes. I would try to find a way not to go over the Soup's head, deal with him some other way. If you go over the guy's head right away, you're in for a rocky road for the duration, and you don't know what the landlord is like yet, either. They may be even harder to deal with than the Soup. A lot of landlords have a soup because they don't want to be bothered with it, they don't know, they are very busy with other things, etc. If it gets hairy, by all means , but try to find another route to establish a relationship with the Soup.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele salivas View Post
Replacing a bad outlet is Super 101. It shoiuld take about 10 minutes. I would try to find a way not to go over the Soup's head, deal with him some other way. If you go over the guy's head right away, you're in for a rocky road for the duration, and you don't know what the landlord is like yet, either. They may be even harder to deal with than the Soup. A lot of landlords have a soup because they don't want to be bothered with it, they don't know, they are very busy with other things, etc. If it gets hairy, by all means , but try to find another route to establish a relationship with the Soup.
I also thought of that factor too, there has to be a reason the landlord doesn't have a way to contact other than the PO box. He did tele that his cousin loves in an upstairs apartment and if I had questions about the neighborhood, etc., I could ask her. But again, no email or phone #. he just said her name and apartment number.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

it takes about 3 minutes and 59 cents to replace those things. Most guys over 30 know how to do it. Just an option in case the super doesn't want to do the work...

You should get one of them little outlet testers with the 3 leds, and test all the outlets before he comes... there may be more problems or conditions to report.
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Now that I tried it again its not as loose as I first thought...so we'll see.

I am curious as to why Dented says above not to let him use my equipment to test it?

And I did check all other outlets with the cell phone and grounded plug, they work and aren't loose.

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

When is one of you guys going to propose to our resident damsel in distress?

I'm waiting...

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I was expecting a super reverb issue.lol
orangeblossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You don't want to leave those things loose. Pests like roaches and even mice can crawl throught the opening into the living area. If he won't fix it, then get some duct tape and tape it to the wall securely covering any openings to the inside of the wall.
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Stop by Home Depot. A new duplex outlet is 59 cents. Ask the super (or a friend) to install it - it will take 5 minutes.

KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
Have some cookies waiting for him...
Or get Rachel and Monica to kiss for 60 seconds and let him watch.
telex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
You don't want to leave those things loose. Pests like roaches and even mice can crawl throught the opening into the living area. If he won't fix it, then get some duct tape and tape it to the wall securely covering any openings to the inside of the wall.
It's not the plate that's loose, that much I could fix myself. It's the socket where the prongs get plugged into. But, thanks for the added paranoia